1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours When January comes

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Nov 30, 2015.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Well Christmas will soon be over thank goodness ;)

By that I mean that run of challenging games against the top sides....

QSF says we cant keep going on a very small group of first team players

Where are our gaps?

As Billy Hawkins at HITC says:

Allan Nyom is undoubted first-choice right-back at Vicarage Road, but there is a worrying lack of cover should he get injured, or lose form as appears to have been the case in recent weeks.

Juan Carlos Paredes can fill in, but he is not a solid choice defensively, whilst Ikechi Anya can also play there, but it is his weakest position.

and as QSF echoes what we all have been thinking:

We can’t play the whole season with just 13 players.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sp...just_13_players__stresses_Flores/?ref=mr&lp=5

"Anya has played every game this season and sometimes players have to rest a little bit and watch the match from the bench.
    Paredes has played very well and in the last five matches he has been playing 20 minutes and his performances have improved our system.
    So this was the moment for him to play. It was the same for (Nathan) Ake and for (Adlene) Guedioura. We need options.
    We can’t play the whole season with just 13 players. We need 17 players ready if we want to keep the category..."

Before we go to transfer rumours..... what are your thoughts about where we need strengthening ?

A striker..... and what sort of player? We cant expect Deeney/Ighalo to play every game together.
    A midfielder?
    Cover for Nyom?

As the great football commentator w_y said just recently:
    I just do not see why Flores persists with playing Abdi as a "semi wing-back". He does not have the pace going forward and his defensive skills are not up to it. I would prefer to see him more in the centre

So where do you see the deficits?
    What sort of players should we bring in?

<ok>

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Five games to go before we get there. No reason on form so far to believe that we should not get at least five or six points. That takes us to about 25 points from 19 games - half the season gone. Double that and we stay up for certain - and in fact just add about 13 points from 19 games and we should be OK.

Makes a huge difference. In the January window previously in the Premiership players were asked to come to us knowing they were likely going to be relegated to the Championship. This time we are going to attract players expecting us to stay up and progress. A much better prospect and hopefully we can attract some real class

3. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Five games to go I'll accept nothing below 15 points :) .... May well need a new keeper what I would expect to see is some young signings building squad for next year possibly a coupe of unpolished English gems to get the squad to full strength. We really don't have any particular weak spots it's a matter of what we have playing well and no injuries!!

4. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I think we have two gaps:
    (1) a wide player who can deliver consistent balls into the box. I love Anya, but his end product often isn't good enough, and Abdi shouldn't be played out wide. Jurado similarly has some good runs, but cannot seem to deliver the ball. Not really sure who is available, I am sure there are good options from the Championship and no doubt the Pozzos have their eye on some guy in the lower half of the Czech top flight or something who is God's gift to wing play.

(2) we don't seem to have an impact sub off the bench, particularly an attacking minded player. That said, our other strikers haven't got a look in with the form of Ighalo and Deeney. Adebayor may be worth a punt as an impact player, not much to lose.

I have a slightly worry that we will see interest in Ighalo from bigger clubs with big cheque books, but surely we won't let such an important player go mid-season. Also he also seems to have his head screwed on so I don't think he would have his heard turned by agents. Anyone else worried about that?

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  5. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

If you think we will win our next 5 games then we are nailed on to win the league and the FA cup you will get 500,000/ 1 .Get you bet on soon as after we win the NEXT 5 they will drop the price LOL

aberdeenhornet likes this.
  6. brian_66_usa

If we pick up 5 or more points from our next 5 games (i think we will get 4 ) then someone comes in with a large fee 20 to 25 mill and offers someone treble there current wage . I could see Ighalo going to say Newcastle and we take Austin off QPR for say 10mil

7. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I don't think the Pozzo's would take that mid-season though, unless survival was pretty much already a nailed on certainty. The reward for staying up is just so big, it would be a gamble for a net 10-15 million that they might get in the summer from selling him anyway. Its also harder to get a replacement in January, although I think a lot of teams will have their eye on Austin.

I could easily see Ighalo leaving in the summer if such an offer comes in. Our premiership status (or otherwise) will be known and we will have time to replace him.

8. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

The thought of Ig leaving -and destabilising the best partnership in the Prem (copyright Danny Murphy no less) has quite ruined my day.However, I think there is no chance of IG leaving before the summer at least - and then for zillions in transfer fee (copyright the Pozzo model). He is not interested in the money (ref. mooted move to China for his own zillions -turned it down) and the environment at Vic Rd matters to him. So I feel better already ! However, we haven't seen any cover yet for TD9 or IG. I assume Oulare/Ibarbo/Jakubiak is felt to be sufficient.
    What we seem to need is holebas to play up to his reputation and make leftback absolutely secure. Or if Holebas isn't up to it, then a solid LB is needed.Then Ake (who has been superb at 20 ) can play a bit further forward but still play at left back when required.
    Anya or berghuis must learn to cross properly - that sorts out our major weakness going forward. Anya's tracking back and reading of the game is fine.
    Our best midfielder after Capoue has still to get going - not his fault, but AG can still be a revelation. He was at villa Park !
    Dear Juan Carlos P doesn't convince me - ever since his nightmare at The riverside last season. Huge fun to watch if the result isn't important.
    I don't think Jurado has done enough - maybe the English style, but he hasn't unlocked other defences enough to justify his weaknesses - i.e. anything in his own half. We should bring diamante on for set pieces and take him off after. Oh, that isn't allowed. Well he hasn't fitted in yet.

Summary. we need a LB or Holebas to step up.
    We need cover for TD9/IG
    We need a winger who can cross if anya/Berguis /Ibarbo not deemed capable.
    A stronger master of invention than Jurado would complete the picture for me. Formidable would be the team.

Given that - we really do have a happy competitive squad who play to their own and collective strengths and are good to watch. Happy days!

9. brian_66_usa

Only once in the last 15 years has someone (Blackpool) have gone down with 25pts at the half way stage and they had a backlog of games to make up . So if we was on 27 or 28 pts unlikely but poss then an agent tell his player the move away from us will set him up for life ? And we have a replacement that mite push us into the top 6 ?

10. J T Bodbo

9 points from the next 5 games is pretty unlikely. 2 wins 2 draws would be my top expectation. 27/28 is out of the question. In fact if we did get 12 from next 5 then the team can dream of europe and nobody would be sold because we wouldn't need or benefit from it. (Well maybe dear JC P).
    I understand the thinking re Ig, but any move talk will not come from him. More relevant, the reward for staying up this year is SO HUGE, the management will not risk it if it can be avoided. I think squad togetherness is really important, and losing IG would seriously disrupt the cohesion, whoever came in. His defensive workrate matches TD9 and that sets the tone for the team. I could see them bringing in cover for TD9/IG in Jan, and if if such cover blossomed, then IG could be sold in the summer - for zillions- as it's the Pozzo model. Then oulare will be expected top take on the Ig mantle.

11. J T Bodbo

Correction to my own message !
    I forgot, we are on 19 not 16. So 27 is possible and I would love 2 wins in next 2 matches but realistically 1 win 2 draws puts us on 24.

12. brian_66_usa

Realistically i agree 23 or 24 , But we could play a top 6 side and nic a 1 nil like against Chelsea ( the the one gets the sack) lets just enjoy the fun times

13. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Southampton sold their best players for about £100m and still had a very good side. Maybe we should trust the Pozzo's recruitment a bit more?

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

in a January window?

NZHorn likes this.
  15. brian_66_usa

i dont care if im called a "happy clapper" i will back the Pozzo's and enjoy the ride

16. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe that the Pozzo model that came with their ownership has changed. Previously they needed to find talent, develop it, then sell it on at a huge profit to keep their teams in profit. That has changed with us getting into the PL where there is no shortage of cash. Far more important now to keep players if they believe they will keep us there.

January has not been a good time to get players if you are looking to get out of trouble. but we are not in that position at present. The players we have have done the job, but just how far we can strengthen to make us even better remains to be seen. We do not see what happens on the training ground and do not really know if those waiting in the wings can step up seamlessly. Some I have doubts about and if the right players become available then I believe they will be brought in, but I doubt that we will be bringing them in just for the sake of it.

hockdude likes this.
  17. brian_66_usa

I agree with OFH the target was to get into the EPL, Then to keep us there followed by EUROPE then total world dominance LOL
    But if we are looking safeish by Jan and some wants to over pay us for one of our players ,im sure a deal can be done.

18. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I think we need more options in defence and midfield... .and another sh@t hot striker so we can mix it with cover as the season progess

Not sure Paredes can do the defensive job required of him