1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's this all about then?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Jul 25, 2011.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I have just come across this pic and wondered if anyone can shed some light?

please log in to view this image

2. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

hi yorkie, i can offer you an explanation.

this was a photo that was taken in the lead up to the '78 fa cup final. it led to a myth that delia was an ipswich fan. this is simply not true and never has been true. she donned the blue and white rosette to show solidarity with our suffolk neighbours and wish them luck for their big day.

its true i wasn't even born when this happened but the reason i know this to be true is my parents who are both ipswich fans tell me this is the case. it was well documented at the time but of course, some people jump to conclusions, don't they!

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

How times change eh? Couldn't see that happening now.

Thanks for the explanation Superman, in a way I'm disappointed there wasn't more to it.

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Superman - if both your parents are 1p5wich fans, how come you haven't made sure you're an orphan?

<laugh> - Parents eh - who needs 'em?

5. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

you're right - i don't think that would happen now! sorry i could not offer you a tastier story... see what i did there?! i used the word 'tastier', cos delia bakes cakes and that...

6. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

dave <laugh>

i know its bizarre but its true!! the reason i'm a canary is quite simple. i was born in norwich and lived in the area most of my life. all my friends were city fans when i was young and getting into football. of course, the old man wanted me to follow 'them' but he couldn't afford to take me to games. my best friends dad used to get free tickets at city in the late 80s and i'd go along with his son. once you're hooked on a club, thats it! when you also throw in the facts that city were a top, and i mean top, division one side back then and were often challenging for trophies, whilst 1p5wich were a mid-table second division team, it all just fell into place. it happened with my brother too so my parents got 'double trouble'! my dad doesn't go to the portaloo anymore - he fell out of love with them during the keano period and has just about given up on football, while my mum is probably the only person to claim she genuinely likes both norwich and 1p5wich!

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Ah bless, challenging for trophies. That's as good as it gets I spose...

I don't think your dad was the only one put off by Keano, it was the worst era the club has experienced in fifty years and probably ever, but it looks like our season ticket sales are starting to recover and if we announce these two signings today we are properly back in business <ok>

8. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

Ah bless, challenging for trophies. That's as good as it gets I spose...

-----

well its more than your club has done in the 30 years i've been alive!

9. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Its better to have climbed the mountain a long time ago than to just look up at it forever.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Is that so Superman? I believe we actually won the UEFA Cup in your lifetime - and it's only a few months since we were in the League Cup semi-final and only half an hour away from the final. I'm not sure how it's much more possible to 'challenge' for a trophy?

11. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

1p5wich winning something before i was born has as much bearing on my life as huddersfield or burnley doing likewise. i only care about what is happening right now and as far as i can recall, we are the ones on that mountain, not you. if you were lucky enough to witness your clubs great team then thats different - you felt it, you were there, but can you not see that it means nothing to someone who wasn't? norwich winning the league cup meant nothing to me - i was 4 years of age. i didn't witness it, i didn't feel the emotion involved in a trip to wembley and seeing your team lift a trophy, so i'm not interested in it. i care about what i've witnessed, what i've felt and whats going to excite me in the near future. maybe thats part of the problem with your own club - stuck in the past. the future's bright, hopefully for both clubs.

12. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

i was in my mummys tummy when you won the uefa cup... and i thought you didn't count the league cup as a trophy of worth?

13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Your so far away from the mountain that the mountain is a dot to you..........................

14. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

your lot must be on another planet then!

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Ah OK Superman - in that case you are clearly the cause of our misfortune!

The League Cup is hardly the be all and end all - just ask Birmingham - but nowadays it does count as a trophy, I think when Town fans take issue with your League Cups it was a very different entity when you first won it, you have to admit.

If we were to take your own lead on what constitutes a trophy of course then we'd be including second tier Championships and play-off trophies. <ok>

16. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Are you saying you think 'Ipswich are out of this world' that is a lovely thing to say thank you very much, brings a lump to the throat alot of Norwich fans come on here slagging us off and the like but you've just restored my faith in the kindness of man......

17. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Yorkie you should know by now that its only Norwich supporters who are allowed to talk about the past eventhough they haven't got one! <ok> Football for them only really got started when Lambert was appointed.

18. Beefforhire-NCFC

Beefforhire-NCFC Well-Known Member

I believe this photo was a halloween party many years ago. Fancy dress

The theme was "**** football team rosettes"

Good old delia!

19. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

Football for them only really got started when Lambert was appointed.

----

in the words of colu_mike, this is a FACT!

good to see you warky. i laughed the other day when an 1p5wich fan got annoyed with me on twitter for mentioning the 9-2. he said 'that was in the past, its irrelevant, its all about the future'. i couldn't have agreed more.

as for this crimson plum (appropriate name i must say), the planet you are from is clearly one with no intelligent life...

20. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Greetings Superman <ok>