1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's It Really Like Being A Professional Footballer

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Mar 19, 2018.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That is an interesting read. Sounds like he has serious anxiety issues, and might have had them whatever job he was in, though there is a kind of pressure in top flight football that many of us don’t experience. Couple of contradictory statements in there, but I bet we’d all have those if we were honest with ourselves.

Years ago I used to work a lot with doctors and liked to ask surgeons how they did it (I’ve always been fascinated in the psychology of people who train to cut people up for a living). A couple told me that they threw up before every operation, no matter how routine. One eminent anaesthetist, a professor, who had stopped practicing to teach, told me he had to because he became almost paralysed by the fear of making a mistake. I bet you have met plenty of fire services staff who must have faced similar issues.

QPR999 likes this.
  3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

A very interesting read. Nines, thanks for sharing.

I think it highlights the pressures on even very experienced players and the psychological aspect.

I am really convinced that sport's psycholology will soon be a key success factor in the performance of football players. It is already visible in other sports which are individualistic.

QPR999 likes this.
  4. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Ii think that too be fare, we all have anxiety issues at some point throughout our lives and careers, and this does impact home life. Some can open up to others whereas some stay quiet fearing ridicule. You can only think of the soldiers that return to the UK with PTSD after tours of the Middle East, or the fire fighters that worked at Grenfell (as examples) of stressful jobs and situations you find yourself in and hope that there is a network of support available. The sad thing for me is the press that seem to have no hesitation in airing any dirty washing and putting every thing out on display.

The article is very interesting. Maybe his friendship with the late Robert Enke, and a very understanding wife might have been a reason for writing the article.

It would appear to me that for all the riches in the world money can bring, happiness and contentment are the two things that this cannot buy.

QPR999 likes this.
  5. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I heard Adrian Durham talk about this last week, it really is a sad indictment of how players are 'chewed up' by the system but are loathe to come clean about the 'dark side' of the game. They're all human beings but to supporters they are there to take the extremes of winning and losing, most get the 'treatment' for losing, hence it's all Karl Henry's fault...

QPR999 likes this.
  6. stanleyparkerbowles

stanleyparkerbowles Well-Known Member

Wish I could interview Shaun Wright Phillips ,

7. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to him once the contract finally ended. Wonder if he has any regrets.

8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Surprisingly not. Although I agree that you'd think that you would. I don't think I've met any man or woman in the fire brigade with anxiety issues, at least not about doing the job. When I first joined there were a couple who were having psychological issues following the Kings Cross disaster. I dare say there maybe a few more in the aftermath of Grenfell but that's probably more PTSD than anxiety.

9. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

He plays for Phoenix Rising FC which is the equivalent of the Championship in US football.

10. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

But not Championship quality, else the dwarf.would be quickly found out <laugh>

QPR999 likes this.

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

What's It Really Like Being A Professional Footballer
    please log in to view this image

its a tough old life

Wherever and Steelmonkey like this.
  12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Average wage for a full time professional League 2 footballer in 2015 was £40,000. Probably no higher now if the trend has followed the rest of the U.K. Not much of the stuff you posted pictures of is available for that.

In that year PL £1.7m, Championship £325k and League 1 £69k.

13. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

14. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Why? He’s not a professional footballer!!?!!