1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic What to Watch?..

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Scowey, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

After multiple posts about TV shows on a match day thread it was decided a dedicated space for TV, Film etc. recommendations and discussion might be useful.

So to kick us off I'll throw a couple of names of my favourite shows over the past couple of years

Westworld - Un 'bloody' believable! An incredible cast and an even better story line. Would recommed it to absolutely anyone.

Stranger Things - Surely everyone has seen it? I was lucky enough to stumble onto season 1 during a boring weekend when it was first listed on Netflix and have watched it back 2 or 3 times since. Probably the best thing made in 2016 (except for perhaps Westworld and Game of Thrones) Season 2 is pretty darn good too

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

My most favourite TV shows of this year so far are:

1. The Walking Dead - And no I don't mean Town's defence!
    2. Fortitude - Season 1 & 2 on Sky Atlantic
    3. Peaky Blinders - If you like plenty of graphic violence then this is for you!
    4. Ozarks - Netflix
    5. Woolf Creek - Sky Box Sets - Loads of blood and gore!
    6. Dr Foster - BBC Although the ending was pretty Sh1t!

3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Is Ozarks good then?. Been on my 'Watchlist' since it was added but not been able to persuade the Missus to give it a watch and now in the midst of a few other series which I'll have to finish before I can add in another show to the rotation.

Also, anyone been watching the new Star Trek (Discovery) on Netflix? Pretty good so far..

4. johnnywarksmoustache

Yeah its very good so get your missus on board!

Forgot to mention Tinstar on Sky Tim Roth is just amazing as the Sheriff <ok> It has to be said that I am a bit disappointed with the latest season of The Walking Dead, I am getting pretty fed up with Negan. Just wish they would get this war over and done with.

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I couldn't get past season four or five of Walking Dead, just got too predictable and repetitive for me. Agreed regarding Peaky Blinders, Westworld, and Stranger Things. All great shows! Yet to watch Tin Star, but my other half has been pestering me lately so we'll see that soon. She's currently watching The Borgias with me on Sky Box Sets, let's say that's one to avoid ...

Off the top of my head, a few favourite shows over mine over past few years (that have not yet been mentioned):

Hannibal (Netflix & DVD) - I don't believe Netflix has the last season but this is one of my favourite dramas in recent years (maybe this is not quite a so-recent show, but it's not been mentioned yet, so what the hell). If you love the films and think this show will be inferior (and that Anthony Hopkins performance will not be unmatched), think again!

The Crown (Netflix) - while I'm not a big fan of the Royal Family, this is a decent drama and an interesting insight into our more recent past.

Mindhunter (Netflix) - FBI cops developing the theory of the 'serial killer' in 1979 against a backdrop of violence and crime solving. Good acting, nicely paced, and a strong plot. However the rather breezy psychological discussions can become grating and this is more a dialogue driven show than an action flick.

Fargo (4OD) - TV show that is superior to the cult film. Stylish, well-paced, darkly funny, and with a different storyline and characters each season, ensures this is a refreshing watch.

6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Watched the first couple of episodes.. Had to really push myself through the second one as episode 1 began to get bogged down toward the end and I haven't bothered going back since (a few weeks ago now). Similar in a lot of ways to 'Designated Survivor' which has a really action packed and interesting opening episode but the rest of the series is just the fallout from that one incident, though it's half decent if not a bit ploddy at times.

I know there were comments on BBC dramas (on t'other thread) and it reminded me of 'Taboo' which I though was brilliant. Tom Hardy (swoon) was excellent and I believe Season 2 will be some time middle of next year

7. johnnywarksmoustache

Agreed on your assessment of the Crown, Claire Foye is superb in the role as the Queen and there is a really good chemistry between her and Matt Smith as Phillip. New season starts on 8th December. Another Netflix drama to check out if you like your political dramas is "Designated Survivor" starring Kiefer Sutherland as the President. Its in to Season 2 now but I have to say that the last couple of episodes have dragged on a bit. They desperately need another Bomb to explode on the Pentagon or Capitol Building to liven things up a bit!

8. johnnywarksmoustache

If you are a lover of scintillating drama then I thoroughly recommend a visit to Portman Road every other Saturday, the away team is always excellent to watch! <laugh>

9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Few from the past I enjoyed

Band of Brothers

Rome

The Tudors

Heroes

Lost

Haven't got into the whole Netflix/Amazon thing tend to buy dvd box sets.One I would be interested in is The Man in the High Castle (?) Anyone seen it?

10. Nuggets

Band of Brothers (currently on Sky Box Sets) and Rome (may still be on Netflix) up there among my favourites! I'll add The Wire, Game of Thrones, Black Mirror (Netflix), Breaking Bad, Luther (at a push), and Mad Men if we are doing all time favourites.

11. Nuggets

I couldn't get into Man in the High Castle, Big Al. The premise and setting would normally be the kind of dark dystopian world I'd lap up. For me, the characters were mostly plain or stereotypes. The plot moved forward at a rather slow pace too and, unlike The Wire or Mad Men where its slower moments were redeemed by great writing and interesting characters, Man in High Castle didn't have enough there, in my opinion.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  12. johnnywarksmoustache

What's a DVD??? <laugh>

Scowey, Bigalreigned and Nuggets like this.
  13. johnnywarksmoustache

I know that this is a few days late but I would like to mention the passing of the Late Great Rodney Bewes or Bob Ferris as he was more commonly known. He was a superb character actor and will always be a likely lad. My most favourite sit com of all time and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it before. <ok>

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  14. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

Some good recommendations there....will definitely check out Peaky Blinders
    Best Netflix series I’ve watched in recent times...

Narcos - Excellently acted, well paced and based in Colombia around the time of Pablo Escobar. Full on and not for the squeamish or anyone that doesn’t like subtitles!

Stranger Things - Love the style, especially for anyone who grew up in the 80’s! Weird and wonderful. Best theme tune of all time

Bloodline - Took a while to get into but worth it. Unfortunately wasn’t commissioned for 4th season so they rushed the ending which was a shame.

Fargo - haven’t seen season 3 yet but first 2 were amazing. Really captured the style and feel of the original film. Great story lines.

Tried to get into Designated Survivor but meh, preferred Kiefer Sutherland in 24 all day long!

15. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

What's a sit com?:emoticon-0105-wink:

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Watching Town trying to hold onto a lead!

17. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

Give 'Godless' a look on Netflix
    A western series possibly an 'Emmy' award winner
    Absolutely brilliant

18. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Is it still Betamax in your household Jonny? :cheesy:

19. johnnywarksmoustache

It was a bit too slow for me so I gave up!

Scowey likes this.
  20. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I got 20 minutes in and realised that each 'episode' was over an hour long so parked it to be revisited when I have some space in my viewing capacity and when I can be bothered to sit through anything that long which isn't a film.