1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What is it with our attendances?

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by ManFeelings, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ManFeelings

ManFeelings Member

OK, so we were playing a club with a small fanbase from miles away today, but even with more local teams they seem determined not to pick up-why?:emoticon-0108-speec

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We need a decent run of entertaining football with positive results to bring back the crowds. Although it could be a joint cause such as ticket prices, lack of buses/park n ride, and the ongoing recession.

3. Mcginlay's Car Keys

I wouldn't say it is a lack of entertainment that is keeping fans away, because at the moment, this is the most exciting and hard working Shrewsbury team I have seen for many years. I think it is more down to people having less disposable income, what with rising fuel and domestic service prices. The Meadow is not the easiest ground to park near, unless you want waste a small fortune on parking or buses. I usually attend with my kids, and consider Town's ticket prices to be reasonable, however when you take into account the additional charges such as the parking/bus/refreshments, this does take its toll on the wallet, despite me earning a reasonable salary.

4. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

this is probably the most important thread i have read on here for some time, as it goes th the heart of the clubs financial future. when i was up in april i had to hunt round for a place to park and ride. it was down to a knowledgeable arriva bus driver to point me in the directions of the shirehall park and drive , even then there were no sighnposts for a stranger to find the car park and coaches. you have an excellent p and r it just needs publicising for visitors.

i do not think you can expect town to play much better than they are, so the economy, and it will get worse is having an effect, plus the cost of the emirates visit.
    i hope to swell the attendance by 1 against barnet, until then floreat salopia and the club must publicise the shirehall p and r. bums on seats must be the clubs watchword and this applies to all 92 clubs and others.

5. Matster

Forum Moderator

I think we do already play entertaining footy,it just needs to be visible throughout every game. I really believe this is the best squad we have had in ages.

6. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

The most disappointing thing is that, I am sure, there were a fair number who went to the Emirates on Tuesday but did not attend yesterday. They must have been impressed by the performance there but why not the take up on Saturday. Some people have their priorities wrong. Either go down to London to experience the Arsenal experience (where to be honest we had little chance of winning) or go to a league match which is much more important than the Carling Cup. Undefeated at home and playing attractive football for the most part so far this season. You cannot ask for much better.

7. trueblue30

trueblue30 New Member

the att will go up i think this is our best chance of automatic prommtion our sqaud is very good

8. atcham jack

well let us hope every one comes out to play against barnet

9. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

I go to whatever game I can. Simple as. Home games take priority, as they're easier to get to and generally cheaper, and spending at least 90 minutes on a bus/train/in the car isn't enjoyable, and is quite horrible when you lose. I find the BBC Radio Shropshire commentary quite good for away matches (unless it's someone like Vale, Hereford or Burton when I'll go) and then the FLS fulfills my appetite to see the goals, and the extended highlights on the BBC which appear on Monday mornings are also good. I seem to have digressed, but really, I'll go to any match I can, quite often have a Maccys beforehand and a Balti pie at half time to give me some lunch, and get some shopping done at Sainsbury's afterwards.

10. Matster

Forum Moderator

I went to Notts County away two seasons ago and we could just about pick up Radio Shropshire there!!

11. Vanner

Vanner Member

Cricket season prevented me from going y'day. Now that's finished that'll add 3-4 on from my team alone never mind the rest :p

12. shrewdchemic

shrewdchemic Member

Whilst we need to do everything we can to increase our attendances, the fact that they've dipped isn't necessarily an indication that we're doing anything wrong. We could be promoted this season without our attendances rising much from where they are now. It's all relative - almost everyone's gates are down and we're still higher than a lot of L1 clubs.

Apparently there were a lot of empty seats at Arsenal on Saturday and Wenger commented that football faces a coming financial crisis. If anything ever demonstrated how things are changing it's the fact that Man Utd - Spurs tickets were on general sale just before that game. In the past, you'd have been lucky to get a ticket for that game weeks in advance as a paying member, unthinkable that Joe Public could get one the day before.

Don't overspend, do what you can to generate cash and you'll be fine. But don't expect a full stadium.

13. Matster

Forum Moderator

Wise words there!

14. tinned hats

tinned hats Member

its all down to disposable income, i couldn't afford to go to Arsenal and attend the home match, but i got my priorities right, if it had even been an F.A cup game against the Arsenal i don't think i could have afforded it, moneys tight everything is going up and we are in the depth of a worsening depression, so to be honest i thought through all this our gates arnt that bad!

15. atcham jack

i am hopefully coming up from devon to watch shrews v barnet, hope it will be a good game, and that town have not been savaged by southend. town must think of different money raising ideas to supplement falling gates. 2 pop concerts next summer would help. any other money raising ideas out there, preferably bringing in different audiences. put a stage in the middle of the pitch and put on a popular play, shakespeare, anything that puts bums on seats

16. tinned hats

tinned hats Member

all other clubs are in the same plight, its just the times that we live in. for a L2 club i don't think our support is that bad, remember we haven't bought any players this season and we are doing brill.......:emoticon-0105-wink: