1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What do you think next season will bring?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Charley Farley, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

On the commentary last night you might have got the impression that we played well, winning the first half and unlucky to have got nothing from the game.

The game I saw showed Fulham passing us off the pitch and constantly threatening, especially down their right wing with Fredericks.
    It’s true we should have had a penalty, that Mitrovic was a little bit offside for his goal and that Asoro scored a good goal but we really didn’t deserve any points and Fulham looked far more composed and were easily the better team.

Now that we are bottom and nobody can challenge us for bottom spot, it’s safely all ours, we have ended our season the worst ever. When we were relegated to Div 3 before at least we were relegated in the playoffs.

So, next season.
    We appear to have 5 players that we would all like to have stay: Asoro, McNair, the Duracell bunnies (Gooch and Honeyman) and Maja.
    Of those, I think Maja is the only one we will be left with because he hasn’t really done anything yet.
    The rest will be sold for a few million (to reduce the debt)
    The squad will include lots of the youngsters such as Robson and Molyneux.

Because the current squad is performing badly I don’t care who goes and there will be players like McGeady and Oviedo who will feel they are too good for div 3/1
    This may not be a bad thing but didn’t we have all this last season, the clearing out of the deadwood and the expectation of us winning more games and that didn’t work out.

I have no idea if any money will be spent in the window or if it will be like the last window where we spent nothing but if we do spend £0 and rely on loans, free transfers and unwanted, out of contract players as well as selling the few talented players we do have then that’s the recipe for disaster.
    We might think div 3/1 will be an easy ride but I don’t think it will be. We will be every other teams cup final for a start.
    Will we stay up or be relegated?
    If we spend £0 and lose our good players then relegation is a strong possibility.
    If we hold on to most of our good players but spend very little we should finish mid table.
    If we hold on to the 5 and spend around £8-£12 million we should get back into the championship.

For me, I think Coleman should stay.
    I haven’t a clue if we will be sold or not.
    I also think Bain is Shorts man and will do what’s best for Short and not what’s best for us.

2. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I would presume that as part of any ongoing negotiations between interested parties and the current owners, 1 proviso would be to place an embargo on both sales and purchases of playing staff until negotiations were completed.

If I was buying the club I wouldn't be wanting the club to sell players I may want to keep, nor buy players I wouldn't want at the club once I'd bought it.

clockstander and Nacho like this.
  3. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

If Short is still owner I think next season will bring Division Two...

Dorset and LiamO like this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah this is my thinking too. If the sale goes through I don't think we'll be letting many of our better players go unless they force our hand. If it doesn't...we're fecked.

Hopefully that would extend to while negotiations are taking place, but where Short is involved I dunno.

5. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Way too many variables to give a qualified judgement on next season. However, given a couple of scenarios then Scenario 1...Short Stays in control. Personally, I think no more than mid table. We lose some of our better players and recruit more over aged mercenaries. Scenario 2. Short goes and we have a new owner. I think we pi55 this league and maybe hang on to one or two of the better players.

6. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

All depends on the ownership situation.

This club will turn around the second someone else takes he reigns I'm convinced.

New owners I think will see our talented youngsters stay and develop and we'll bring in some solid experienced pros.

Need a left back, two new centre half's an experienced centre mid and a target man.

7. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

It would be great to see new owners who keep the five . One worry would be that if clubs have come in for them , will they throw the toys out because they didn’t get a move.

8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Its all down to Short, what he does and when, holds the key. If we can keep our current crop of young players together we will do OK and maybe get straight back up, if we had started this season with the current team we may have even avoided the drop, I would have liked to see more of our own players given the extended chances that some loanees have had, this policy has cost us long and short term imo.

9. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

When is key!!

clockstander likes this.
  10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Rudderless atm., and time does not stand still, all is not lost but action is needed and we need it now,.

11. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

It's possible that we could have an amazing season under Short and get promoted back to the Championship. It's possible that we could get new owners and stagnate in League 1 (or even worse).

There are no guarantees and new owners won't necessarily bring promotion. Any new owners have to have the financial wherewithal and a proper plan. As much as I want rid of Short, I am not clamouring for him to sell up to just anyone.

12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Too many impondrables, it all hinges on the takeover, if it doesn't happen and it needs to be done in the next month imo then we are in the same trouble as this season.
    Anyone who thinks next season will be easy football wise needs to see his Phsychatrist.

Dorset likes this.
  13. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Bang on!