1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What did we learn

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by framptonfrank, Oct 15, 2016.

1. framptonfrank

framptonfrank Active Member

after the Cardiff game?
    1, Can't play pack and O'Neill in same midfield, lots of the ball but no penetration.
    2. Little is not championship quality.
    3 If Tammy plays as loan striker he must be given decent service as his week point is holding the ball up.
    4. We were 2nd to most 50/50 balls and gave the ball away far too often, basic errors! We didn't want it as much as Cardiff!

Red Robin likes this.
  2. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

LJ needs to remind his squad that if we want to achieve something amazing this season, and stand in the footprints of Gerry Gow, then we will need to BE amazing - every bloody week !

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Agree 150% with you,all above I hope LJ takes note.

4. Redandy

Redandy Active Member

i get frustrated with the 0ne up front, Tammy always plays better with help along side him, but most of all its the very slow, side to side and back that kills us. We have all seen that as soon as we go a goal down we play faster, positive one-two touch football with a more forward momentum to our game, and most teams cant stay with us. I know away from home we cant always be so cavalier, but in the same sense we dont have to be SO slow!!!!!

I really like Little, but yes he has improved but, hes still a L1 player, what is the 'crack' with Matthews?

I'm sorry but freeman does my head in, kills things, doubles back, slows things down, or loses the ball trying to beat the same player over and over again, plus he has got the one thing football is rife with.............only one bloody foot, the times he has and had at Baadiff to cross the ball early, but had to check back onto his left, aaarrrgghh.

Sorry peeps, rant over, what do you think?

5. BrightredRickster

O'Dowda is more mobile and direct, plus he does have two feet (one right, one left). I like Freeman, but I do feel he is not making the most of himself. Maybe he reacts to our previous manager better than with LJ ? If so, he needs to address that problem pretty sharpish.

But we are still a top 6 side, and we haven't become a weak side just because Cardiff got lucky (IMHO)

6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I had a bad feeling in my gut about facing Dame Nellie, however if we learn from the lessons of the game then all well and good.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

The results have been kind to us so we have ridden this little hiccup.
    Hopefully any illnesses will be gone by the QPR game.

8. invermeremike

9. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Quote from Warnock on their website:

"We were playing a very good team tonight, I still feel they will have an outside shot of going straight up, let alone through the playoffs."

So he thinks we are a good side

10. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

SC
    'I recruited what I was ALLOWED to recruit.

11. BrightredRickster

Yes, I noticed that
    Sad and bitter ?

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

How much truth was in it though? He was given the green light to waste time chasing Gray and Gayle both not cheap players. He was given 2.3 million for Kodjia. I don't buy this SC was treated badly and told he can't have this or that. There was no need to not fill a subs bench on more than one occasion. There was no need to loan some players and basically not even play them. For all we know Cox could of turned out to be the best partnership with Kodjia and put us mid table and he could of still been here now.
    Don't get me wrong I loved the Cotterill era but it was undone in 4 months. What I don't like is coming out with I wanted Gary O'Neill and agreed it with the player. That's bollocks as Norwich just got promoted to the Prem and we just came up from league one there was no way Gary O'Neill going to sign for us back then.
    What I don't get is this constant whining criticism of LJ, just because he was not your sort of player. Plenty of good managers some great was **** at playing and one especially was definitely not the special one as a player but he does ok. LJ is young and has time on his hands and could go into be a really good manager.
    Now I would prefer he does that for us, rather than anyone else.

13. bcfcredandwhite

I will always be grateful to Cotts for delivering the only 'double' I can ever remember for us.
    However, whatever happened around signings last season, Cotts didn't manage matters on the pitch intelligently. He stuck to 3-5-2 every game, playing the same formation with the same players. We were easy to predict. He also only used his subs at 85 minutes when, if losing 2-0, is just paying lip service. That isn't anything to do with money - that is poor managerial decision making at Championship level and what the Forest fans warned would happen.
    I wish him all the best, but getting rid of him when we did probably saved us from dropping straight back to L1.

Red Robin likes this.
  14. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I think we should learn not to overreact to one defeat

banksyisourhero and RedorDead like this.
  15. invermeremike

I for one have been guilty of those kind of comments in the past loathsneyd, but not this season. I think, despite my reticence over hiring LJ as our manager initially, that we are in a far better place than this time last season and if the lads and LJ can sort out the little niggles that have some supporters second guessing then we will be fine. As someone once told me there are no problems, just opportunities to improve.

16. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

We are still learning and developing and I do not expect anything other than a top half finish this season, which will be progress in itself.

The team that LJ played on Friday night were wanting in several departments, and against a physical team like Cardiff we looked lightweight in a lot of areas.

Bryan, Little, Freeman and others are below the level of player we need to push towards the Prem.

17. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

WHAT DID WE LEARN
    No black arm bands - That the Board at BCFC didn't see fit to acknowledge the passing of Gerry Gow.

18. bcfcredandwhite

I thought that too.
    Maybe saving it for the next home game?

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I heard they are being worn at our next home game.

20. invermeremike

The correct decision to do it on the turf where he was idolised.