1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What car do you drive and PCP?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Prince Isak (GG), Dec 10, 2021.

1. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Hi chaps.

I’ve always bought my cars. Outright. Saved up and spunked the money in one go.

This time because of circumstances I’ve not saved up and I want a new car. I’ve always had slow but good fuel consumption cars. But I’m post 40 now and I want a beast.

Im talking £30k with a down payment of around £8k.

What do you drive.
    What would your recommend.
    Do any of you have PCP.

Serious answers only please.

2. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Go electric!

3. Prince Isak (GG)

Really need a bit more detail on that buddy. <laugh>

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  4. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

5. boxheed

boxheed Well-Known Member

It’s hard to recommend any car without knowing what you need it for, how many people etc
    But PCP is designed not to need upfront money or deposit etc
    If you went down that route pay the minimum deposit and bank the rest or invest it until the final payment is due
    You have 3 choices - hand it back, pay final instalment or use is as part ex towards next one

6. Prince Isak (GG)

Family car but with a bitof oompf. Home to work and town driving mostly.

7. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

I've got a passat 2.0 tdi Bluemotion executive estate ( 177 bhp ). It's surprisingly quick for a big car, very economical, got loads of kit and is massive inside.

Prince Isak (GG) likes this.
  8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Generally done PCP over the last few cars as we like to switch every 3-4 years. Important to have a good feel for anticipated mileage as putting a low value brings monthly payment down but if you go over you will pay a bigger penalty when you hand back.
    Look at cars that hold their value well too as that will give you lower monthly payment. Also dont necessarily go new but look at less than a year old with less than 5k miles on.

9. JokeInEre

JokeInEre Well-Known Member

Buy a 30 year old Merc and run it on chip oil or agri diesel.

10. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Nissan Micra, sexy little beast, about £10k or something a year ago.

11. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

A Golf that @I want Mackem Cock is extremely jealous of

9 year old now like, just going to keep it til it dies as it's been great for me

Just got a bank loan when i bought it rather than PCP/HP

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Always bought cars outright until my most recent one. Generally they have been company cars and its a family business so it was a benefit. However there is no real benefit to the individual now, the tax man has closed that down in recent times, so I simply bought the car outside the business on PCP. It worked out cheaper to get a 2019 brand new Audi, than it did to get taxed on a 10yr old one as a benefit off the taxman. I can then just exchange it for a new one every 3-4 years.

I bought an Audi A6 3.0 TDI. Its class and like **** off a stick but economy wise its just ok. Great car though, virtual cockpit, all the mod cons etc. The important thing is to get a handle on the likely amount of miles you do a year. The costs if you go over an estimation are significant. However the initial monthly costs can be brought down a bit by lowering the likely miles. Basically don't overload it, but at the same time defo don't undercut yourself. So do a reasonable calculation on what miles you do and I think PCP can work for most people.

Essentially it comes down to what you can afford to come out your wage on a monthly basis, then aligning that with the options. Loads of websites to help with all that.

13. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

No indicators on Audis though is there?

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  14. Warmir Pouchov

As with any vehicle, sadly its the driver not the car. Personally never had specific problems with drivers of a type of car. Generally I think its the old green eyed envy which sees BMW, Mercedes, and AUDI drivers get a bad rep. If I had to single out a specific car I find the drivers drive quite badly a lot of the time for some reason, I'd say these Fiat 500's but that's probably because there are so many of them on the road. I have had quite a few boy racers in those Seat Ibiza Rs cut me up driving like lunatics. Again though I think that's more that really young drivers are worse, full of spunk, given a 2 ton vehicle, and those Ibiza's seem the car of choice now.

15. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

Aye I agree, for some reason BMW and Audi seem to get the most stick for it though <laugh>

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  16. Doc.

Doc. Well-Known Member

If you don't need a car don't get one. If you need one remember it's just a car to get to work and the shops.

I used to stretch myself to the limit trying to simply drive nice cars or impress other people. I see cars as just saying look at me I'm doing well, but when I started saying I don't give a **** I had more money for better things.

Just my take

17. Warmir Pouchov

I agree with this too up to a point. If you can afford a nice car, fair play, you've earnt the money do as you please. But I see people stretching themselves to the limit to have a top end car, and then they live in a complete shack, can never afford a holiday etc. Its a bit mental really for how much time you spend in a car. Cut your cloth as my dad used to say.

Munson. likes this.
  18. Warmir Pouchov

Aye I think its a combination of things. They do tend to be nicer cars and we have an inbuilt mechanism to hate people for having money. The old BMW reasoning was just a stigma which stuck.

Some people really do suck at driving though. The lane changers for instance. I hate them ****s. They do all this messing around, probably cause more delays than anything else, introduce a load of risk nobody needs, and then the ****ers are still in front of you at the next set of lights. FFS man get a ****ing grip, accept 2mins makes no difference or just leave earlier.

magpie290761, Flash and Ben 10 like this.
  19. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

I've got a Peugeot 3008 2 litre. Great car. Super speedy. Bulky. Great drive.

I have a cottage in France and family all over the country so need a bigger car mainly down to comfort.

I cycle to work though. 6 miles.

20. mickeybnufc

mickeybnufc Well-Known Member

2.5 litre Lexus sport,rather quick and very luxurious and full of gadgets and buttons