1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic What Are You Hoping For From Boris Today?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Joelinton's Right Foot, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

So today is the day we find out what the roadmap is to come out of lockdown.

What are you hoping for from Boris? A quick lifting of restrictions so we can all get back to the pub and get to games, or a more gradual lifting where we slowly start to get back to normal?

Personally I am hoping that pubs will be among the last places to be opened up. It's a shame for everyone who acts responsibly and maintains social distancing, but I think we saw last time that too many people either forget once they've had a drink or didn't care in the first place. I'd prefer the early focus to be on getting to see family and friends again first and then things gradually easing so that we never have to take another backwards step.

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  2. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

3. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

I always said that pubs were the main problem. Restaurants far easier to control, but pubs were just a free for all.

Schools have got to go back on the 8th, that's been the biggest **** up in all this. Shops & cafes should be back before March is out. Good to see that organised sport is on the agenda too, and I'd like to see the Easter weekend see at least 2,000 back in stadiums for matches.

4. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

At this moment, don't book any holidays for this year folks because you will be wasting a lot of time and money.

5. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Again schools are a big driving force in the transmission of Covid.

Any return needs to be staggered.
    If the government wants the school to test the kids once a week this can NOT all be done on Monday 8th.

There should be no catch up lessons after-school and no catch up sessions dying their summer holidays

6. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

Just so you lazy teachers don't have to do any more graft! :emoticon-0116-evilg

Flash likes this.
  7. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Don't care about the summer/evening they are not in my contract and they can't afford me to do them.
    I'm also a private tutor and they can't afford me.

It's far too easy for people not in education to think that the children have missed out and let's ram as much in as we possibly can.

Ben 10 likes this.
  8. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

I'm one of those not in education, so this is a genuine question rather than an opinion....

Does it matter that much where the kids get up to in their education in any given subject as much as finding out who has potential to go on to further study, as long as everyone has the basics for life? From what I remember, at university you get a huge variety of how prepared students are as they came from a wide range of schools with different standards of teaching. A lot of the first term/year is all about getting everyone up to the same standard anyway.

9. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Country reopens fully once over 50s and vulnerable are vaccinated.

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  10. Dorty Dogbreath

I can see why some people will have been driven to the edge of the cliff by these lockdown measures. People losing their jobs through no fault of their own, people losing their income and not being compensated adequately, again through no fault of their own.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.

11. Dorty Dogbreath

This must be the way, the more the figures reduce the greater the demand for easedown. Sadly, it will come too late for many people and for many businesses.

12. Dorty Dogbreath

I think we've all been exposed to the virus anyway. It's been here for at least a year, theres no way we could have avoided it when out shopping etc.

13. Dorty Dogbreath

We've just paid £1450 for our caravan pitch which runs from mid March to early November. If you dont pay it you are off the site. By my reckoning we might not get there until June. No one on our site has caught covid, as far as I'm aware, by being there. It's just another case of one size fits all. We won't be compensated the full amount (£500 lost last year).

14. Dorty Dogbreath

As you can see, I'm not expecting much off Boris today <laugh>

15. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

16. Dorty Dogbreath

<laugh> And don't get me started on the golf...six months or so lost last year ffs <grr>

17. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

That just highlights some of the unfairness for those following the rules. I was staying at a campsite in Lincolnshire all through December and into early January because I was working away. There shouldn't have been anyone there except for people staying for work, but there were plenty of people about in what was obviously their regular pitches. There was even a party one night in a marquee on site for residents.

18. Dorty Dogbreath

This happened at our site as well. Friends and relatives of the wardens as well as some of the pitch holders.

19. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

I suspect it will come down to numbers in hospital more than numbers who have been vaccinated, though that will come into it too

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  20. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

The issue is consistency! What my school teaches say to year 9 may well be different to every other school.

There is only one year group at significant disadvantage and that is the current year 11s (and 13s if 6th form) as they have missed 80% of the GCSE course.
    What happens after school/summer hols will not have any impact.

Then think - it is proven that people (whether child or adult) can only learn for 45 minutes of an hour - even though most schools have 1 hour lessons. It is hard for children to learn for 5 hours a day and then people want them to do another hour/2 hour. Kids also need those 6 weeks holiday. They will not learn in that time.

Personally I think the current year 11s should have teacher assessed grades based on what the teachers already know.
    The current year 10s - in september exam boards should say right this is what we are going to test on in May/June - make sure it is covered during year 11 and instead of May/June the exams will take place in June/July.
    All year groups below will NOT be affected

As you rightly pointed out when going on to the next level every person is at a different starting point so this "missed" education will not alter their life chances one iota. When I did my Maths degree the first year was the equivalent of an A Level so that those without an A Level would end year 1 at the same position as those with an A Level in Maths

The Government changed the education system so that you leave primary school being able to access the work in secondary school - the only affected here will be the current year 6s and again secondary schools tend to assume they know jack **** any way.

I wonder i fthe government will regret Michael Gove's decision to scrap modular GCSEs as if we had those we would not be in this predicament with grading as they would have been continuously assessed. (May be the way forward is continual assessment - which to be fair in my subject we do that anyway).

My ONLY concern long term wise is language skills and for that I do feel tha tthere needs to be something done and trust me that an hour after school each day or 3 weeks extra in the summer holidays will do nohing. The problem we have is that we have a generally feckless society who thinks that it is the schools responsibility to do everything!! Yet reading to your child as a baby/toddler and then moving on to listening to them read in those early years has the greatest impact on language.

I've rambled incoherently - happy to answer any questions. As is I am sure @haslam will. I have taught both in primary and in secondary for over a decade now.