1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic What a comeback by TIGER

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swanseaandproud, Apr 15, 2019.

1. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

After the Disappointment by the Swans this weekend (Happens to the best of us) My spirits were lifted watching the Golf Masters and i was amazed by the comeback by Tiger Wood and his Masters victory, He still has the magic to compete after all the trial and tribulations he has gone through this past decade. He slipped out of the top 1,000 at one point so this victory is all more remarkable,,,,,,

2. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Considering the demons he has endured in his private life, then to have major health issues with operation after operation just to be playing golf is an achievement let alone with a major at one of the most demanding courses physically and mentally.

It was great to see him win and have his family with him. Hell of a comeback.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  3. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

I'm not a Woods fan, but he is a great golfer, no doubt about that. Would I rate him as a sporting hero - NO, NEVER.

The world of golf has been lucky to have seen the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Seve Ballesteros, et al. All great golfers AND great sportsmen. Alongside that esteemed list, Woods barely rates a mention.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    55282 and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  4. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

I’m with Vetch on this. I’m not a great fan of Tiger - but I have to admit he’s a fantastic golfer.

For me, Jack and Tiger (in that order) are the ‘top two’ players.

None of us - not even Dai <laugh> - saw Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan, both of whom were special.

Can’t finish without mentioning the late great Seve - I was at Lytham when he won his first major in 1979.

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  5. LIBERTARIAN

I knew there was a name missing in my original post, viz, the great Spaniard Seve Ballesteros. Thanks for reminding me. I have amended my post accordingly.

Be careful " liking " my posts, Taff. You could get sent to Minnesota, Minneapolis, or even Tallahassee. All more glamourous than Coventry, if you get my drift. <laugh>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  6. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

I'm no Woods fan either but very pleased for him to have got another green jacket on Sunday. I think when sportsmen (or women) are so successful you kind of want to even it out and give others a chance.

I like tennis but the men's game has been dominated for so long by Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray it's a bit dull whereas the women's slams are so unpredictable.

Back to golf: there are so many good players on tour these days that any one of about 50 has a realistic chance of winning. In my youth I would spend all my spare school holiday time up at the golf course. My personal heroes were Johnny Miller and later Nick Faldo. I can remember Miller shooting a 63 in the final round of the US Open at Oakmont in 1973. Absolutely brilliant. Although not a great score, I can remember Faldo grinding out 18 pars in the final round of the British Open to win at Muirfield in 1987 in really bad weather. That was impressive.

Could never love Nicklaus. Too mechanical for my liking.

7. aswan_dam

I was there too! Been to two Opens. The other was at Hoylake.

8. Taffvalerowdy

I was at Lytham on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday (in those days it finished on the Saturday.)

Walked the course on Thursday and Friday - sat in the stands around the 18th on the final day.

My one and only visit to a Major so far - perhaps Augusta next year (God willing) !

9. aswan_dam

Yes, I remember you at Lytham. You were the one shouting 'You're the man' ...? ...and 'Get in the hole'

10. Taffvalerowdy

Ha ha !

Wasn’t the guy who shouted ‘You’re the man’ actually Gary Player’s caddie?

11. LIBERTARIAN

Great golfing memories there, aswan.

I wish I could have been as " mechanical " as Nicklaus.

It was Nicklaus, Watson and Trevino that inspired me to take up the game. I had some lessons from the pro at Morriston Golf Club, and he eventually let me loose on the course.
    I struggled for some time, but eventually got close to my first par, then amazingly, I made one. Boy did I feel good about that. Several more pars came in quick succession, but the rubbish holes still dominated my game.

Then came the moment of my one and only birdie.

It was a par 4, and my second shot saw my ball come to rest some twelve inches from the hole. I took an eternity eyeing up the shot, tossing grass in the air, lying down checking the surface of the green for any kind of impediment that would thwart my upcoming mega moment.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, and with other players queueing up behind, I sank the monster putt.

A birdie was mine, at long last, and nobody could take it away from me.

I strode to the next hole, a par 3, feeling that I had cracked the game, and the Ryder Cup beckoned.
    I took 11 shots, and was immediately dumped on my arse, all aspirations shot to ribbons. <laugh>

The great game of golf had claimed another victim.

12. neveroffsidereff

I can vouch on the Coventry bit. ;)

13. LIBERTARIAN

Is that because you don't know where the other three places are located ? ;)

14. neveroffsidereff

As they say Golf is a good walk spoilt. Always liked Morriston course, I first learned to play at Pennard, talk about a baptism of fire. Love the place but them last three holes have killed many a round for me. When the wind got up the 16th hole was a killer, into the wind down to three cliffs and a heavily sloping green. The green was even worse in the summer, never go through the green as above the pin you putted downhill and you could end up 50 yards away!!

Moved then and played at Clydach for many years before moving down to the south coast, with young children golf was sidelined and still is, I try and get out a couple of times a year.

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  15. neveroffsidereff

I do, my son went out to college in Minnesota, did a one year sports course, one thing, he never complains about the cold!! :)

Taffvalerowdy and LIBERTARIAN like this.
  16. LIBERTARIAN

I played at Pontardawe quite often, and preferred it to Morriston. The location is terrific. Sadly, in the winter many holes were out of commission due to waterlogging. It was a long time ago, so maybe they have it sorted now.

Ashburnam was also a great course. Never played at Pennard.

When I lived in The Gambia, I purchased a compound, c/w bungalow, that was located alongside the 18th fairway of the only golf course in West Africa. My home was literally 50 yards from the fairway. Unfortunately, the fairway didn't have any grass on it, other than in the rainy season, and the greens were made of old engine oil mixed with sand that had to be rolled between individual putts. I didn't enjoy playing there.

17. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I will carry your bag Taff <cheers>

18. Taffvalerowdy

Ouch

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  19. Taffvalerowdy

That must have been s fantastic experience for him! <cheers>

20. neveroffsidereff

Yes it was, my pocket is a lot lighter after it and still paying for it.