1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Ham v. Swansea

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, May 1, 2016.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2016-5-1_16-6-18.png West Ham v Swansea City upload_2016-5-1_16-6-18.png

Premier League
    Saturday, 7th May 2016
    Kick off 15:00
    Boleyn Ground

Following an impressive display at The Liberty Stadium where they beat Liverpool 3-1, the Swans next match is against West Ham at the Boleyn Ground.

Last Saturday, West Ham had an excellent 3-0 victory away at West Brom to continue their impressive form this season.

Bbut Cheikhou Kouyate headed the Hammers into the lead in the 34th minute before Noble stabbed home a second in first-half injury time. Although both goals had elements of luck in the build-up, they were clinically-taken, emphasising the Baggies' own misfortunes in front of goal.

Noble made sure of all three points 10 minutes from time, with a superb volley into the roof of the net that capped off a fine move involving Dimitri Payet and Andy Carroll.

In the corresponding fixture last season, West Ham ran out 3-1 winners. Swansea struck first when Wilfried Bony continued his scoring streak by slotting home a seventh goal in 10 matches and his 19th in the league this calendar year.

Carroll produced a trademark powerful header to end a barren run of 878 minutes before the interval. Bony went close to netting again when finding the woodwork in the second half, but it was Carroll who hit the headlines as he outjumped the Swansea defence to nod in a second-half corner. Hopes of a comeback from Swansea were severely hampered by goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski being sent off soon after. Carroll then turned provider late on as Diafra Sakho raced on to his flick-on to add a third as Sam Allardyce's men made it three wins in a row.

Given West Ham's current form, and Swansea's poor away form, I expect the Hammers to repeat last season's 3-1 score line.

2. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Great thread Taff.

swantastic and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  3. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

West Ham must start as strong favourites to win this game. Andy Carroll. Corners. Enough said.

4. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Yep. That sums it up. 3-0 :(

5. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

Quite simply, if Guidolin is to prove to me that he's tactically minded, he's got to go at West Ham next week - even though we're away from home.

Sit back against West Ham and they'll dominate us, get plenty of shots away, and most worryingly, win plenty of corners and free kicks for Carroll and Payet respectively to punish us with.

We have to get at them and for as much of the match as possible pin them back. Play with width and pace. Effectively we have to dominate the ball (ideally above 60%) and play the game as much as possible in their half, or at least at halfway.

Easier said than done - but we do have the players to play the style that can pin them back. The issue is that Carroll only needs one decent cross and Payet only needs one free kick around the box and we could be 2-0 down in a flash.

6. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Agreed. But Guidolin hasn't yet shown he has managed the trick of getting us to play consistently well. I'm not optimistic.

7. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

It's Andy Carroll v the Swans next week.

8. badwolf

badwolf Active Member

andy carrol 3 swans nil

9. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Battering I am afraid to say, but I can take a defeat as long as we go and have a go, press them high and see if we can spoil their weekend, not just roll over and let them do what they want.

10. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

The " Andy Caroll Defence " ...............
    .................................................................Fab

..................Fernandez.............................Amat .............................Williams...............

........................................Cork....................................Britton........

Routledge .....................................................................................................Montero

.......................................Ayew ...................................Siggy

............................................................Paloschi

WestHam will loft balls into the middle of our third . Laudrup's problem with playing Amat against the Hammers was it was in place of Britton . The three CB's will content better with balls coming via the air route , be it long ball or set pieces or corners .On long balls , Britton and Cork will feed on the scraps . 2-2 .

11. trundles left foot

Play that side and we will get battered, we have to stop the source for Carroll, we simply don't have the players who are good enough aerially to deal with him.

4-5-1 for m and press high up the field, with our wide players and full backs pushing up and stopping them getting in behind us.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  12. seabreeze

Disagree , Carroll's source is the long ball and set pieces .... Taylor and Rangel bring little to the solution .
    Amat will do the initial confrontation with Williams and Fernadez at the ready for nodded passes with Cork and Britton being like those little fish around sharks mouths looking for morsels.

13. trundles left foot

Payet out wide has to be stopped as do their fullbacks, We do not have the ability in the air to deal with Carroll, take a look at the goals he has scored against us, all from crosses. we have to stop the source to stop Carroll.

Where did I mention playing Rangel or Taylor.

By the way we have tried 3 centre halves against him before, albeit with Amat in a cdm role, guess what happened.

14. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Dreading the set piece for this game. We have to take the game to them - so being optimistic 2-2

15. seabreeze

Like I said earlier , Britton should have been playing the role instead of Amat in the Laudrup game .If Amat plays it must be as a CB , be it with one other or two .
    Routledge and Montero will work hard but Help comes from Cork and Britton . When someone on the flank finally breaks through , he will have to face a CB and not Taylor or Rangel . Great time to try something new and this is mine that is an attempt to make headway to a headway problem .

16. trundles left foot

I here what you say, couldn't disagree more. But lets see what Mr G does, but it is all about opinions.

seabreeze likes this.
  17. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

West ham at their place is a daunting task. Them and Leicester have been the most impressive sides this season and they will be far too good for us im afraid....we wont get near them and an easy victory beckons that will see us lose 3 or 4 -0.

trundles left foot likes this.
  18. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

The general consensus is that West Ham will 'hammer' us - due to our lack of consistency and poor defending of crosses. Just as it's already been mentioned, if Guidolin is to prove he's worthy, we have to play well and beat West Ham. They have had a great season, but they're still only West Ham. Our players are certainly capable of matching them.
    If we are set up 'properly' (to me that means 2 proper wingers for a start) I see no reason why we can't beat them.

Oh yeah - I've had a titful of Neil Taylor and his poxy passing. Really wish us and Wales had a better option.

DragonPhilljack and seabreeze like this.
  19. trundles left foot

Do we already have one in Kingsley, but some one needs to give him a chance and a run of games. Seems once you are in the side it is very difficult to be left out despite how bad on times you play.

20. seabreeze

Guido doesn't have to do anything , offers are and will flood the door for him . If we don't want him , just do nothing and he will gladly sign for either another Premier League club or from a multitude of offers ......which is what I think will happen .
    If the Americans take over , I'm pretty sure Bielsa is on his way . Otherwise I hope it's somebody with expierence who hasn't been at the club .
    If Huw wants to get things back on track, I'd sign Guido , with Curtis at his side ... There like a couple of bandits
    and must be pleased with their contribution , Curtis setting things up , and Guido finishing things off .
    Right decisions or wrong decisions , Guido knows the club now and the team he inherited. It could be advantaged .......Both have deserved a chance IMO.