1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Ham United vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Apr 24, 2022.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Venue: London Stadium
    KO time: 16:30 GMT
    Date: Sunday 1st May 2022

Overall Record

Wins: 70
    Losses: 35
    Draws: 40

Last six meetings

Arsenal 2-0 West Ham
    West Ham 3-3 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2-1 West Ham
    Arsenal 1-0 West Ham
    West Ham 1-3 Arsenal
    West Ham 1-0 Arsenal

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

They will play a second string cos of the EL semi final.
    Same with Leicester playing us.

The only danger is the "reserve" players playing really well trying to get into the first team but they don't have a great depth tbf.

3. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

To be fair, their second string almost held Chelsea to a point today, so they’re no pushovers.

But yes, it’d be disappointing if we don’t win considering the circumstances in which we play them.

However, Arsenal are very inconsistent too. Although our last 2 results were great, the previous 3 results to those were shocking. I’m still not sure which Arsenal will show up.

Naturally I hope and want us to win. But it wouldn’t be unusual for Arsenal to drop points when you think they should win, either.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Not going to be easy going to West Ham and getting 3 points. I know they'll have one eye on the Europa league and given our total inconsistency this season, along with it being a London derby, I don't think it's easy to predict any outcome in this game.

Another win would be ****ing massive, but I'd take a draw if it was offered right now.

5. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Disagree about taking a draw. West Ham are going all out for the Europa League, our game with them is sandwiched between both Frankfurt ties, they have a tiny squad and they have no available CBs in the league. They will also play twice before we play them (as they also played Chelsea after our fixture vs. United) We literally won't get a better opportunity to get a win there.

A win is a must.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah fair enough. Read earlier that they have no senior CBs available. We need to capitalise on that

BrunelGunner likes this.
  7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Should be a W for you, all our CB's are out for this game and we have our eyes on a bigger prize. Gutted really, as I feel our first XI is better than yours, which is a bit of a first tbh.
    I also think that, of all the teams in the premier league, Arsenal are the team that should break the bank for Rice, a he'd turn you into contenders.

8. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Yeah I don’t think there’s too much difference between our first XI’s. Which says a lot really.

I think, given the position you’re in, you do need to go all out for the Europa League. Objectively, I think you’re the strongest team left so you have an excellent chance of doing it. I fancied you to go all the way after you dispatched Sevilla, although now Barca are out, your chances have improved greatly.

Rice is a top class player, but I don’t see a world in which he joins us, especially for the reported money West Ham want. I think there are better teams with more resources who he’d prefer, too.

9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yeah, Burnley beating Wolves has hopefully given us 7th, and I'd be more than happy with the conference league tbh.
    We've lost our CB's, that means 5 at the back with rb and lb as cb's and masuaku, possibly the worst 'footballer' in the premier league. You may remember him, he's the player that gave you a penalty by catching the ball in the box.
    Rice, yeah, that's why I said you should be the team that breaks the bank to buy him, Xhaka for Rice, that improves your team more than anyone else. but you wont pay that money. but imo no one will pay 150m. Although he's refused 3 new contracts it's been reported previously that it's down to us refusing to put in a release clause. I think he will be with us for 3 years, then sign a contact with a release clause (70-100m) in his final 6 months. As he's stated numerous times he has no wish to leave London, that really leaves 3 clubs. And as everyone hates Tottenham, that leaves 2.
    Personally though I hope he goes to somewhere like Real Madrid so we never get to pay against him.

BrunelGunner likes this.
  10. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

You can't really afford to take a draw. We're getting nothing at Anfield so in theory if you win all your other games, you can afford a defeat in the NLD and you'll still finish above us, which is a massive pressure reprieve.

Drop any points at all though and top 4 is back in our hands too due to our superior GD.

11. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if United bid silly money for him in the summer.

You say everyone hates Spurs but would he seriously go to Chelsea?! They'll need a long term replacement for Kante and whoever takes over will want to make a show with a few marquee signings but...West Ham to Chelsea?

12. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Spurs beat Leicester (as expected) so we need to do our job now.

West Ham have fielded a stronger team than I expected, but it doesn't matter. We should still be winning this regardless. The league isn't their priority, so pressure is on us to deliver.

Meanwhile, Chelsea have lost at Everton. If, and it is a big if, we win this afternoon, then we will be 3 points behind Chelsea with same games played. We could potentially end up dragging them back into a top-4 race if we do our job...

13. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Ive said this many times but.. Elneny just scares the **** out of me, he has this nervous energy about him.

Also you press him and he will 100% pass backwards even on the edge of the box.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  14. TheBear

Saka is ****ing class. Need to see more from Nketiah though.

15. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

1-0!

Rob Holding with his 1st Premier League goal.

Good delivery by Saka and nice header from Holding.

Not been a good performance at all, but I think we’ll take that.

TheBear likes this.
  16. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Ramsdale with a top class save from Rice’s header. Need to get control of this game.

17. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

My god, what is up with our passing today?

Every single time we look to break or transition, we either keep playing hospital balls, get in each other’s way or frequently get loose touches in promising positions to halt our momentum.

There’s actually a lot of space to exploit here, but we keep giving the ball to them.

18. TheBear

**** sake.

19. TheBear

How many times did we give the ball away since scoring?

20. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

1-1. Bowen.

they deserve that. We’ve been awful.