1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Bromwich Albion FC v Sunderland AFC – Saturday 13th April 2024 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Apr 11, 2024.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Apr 13, 2024.
  1. Home win

11.5%
  2. Away win (safc)

48.1%
  3. Draw

40.4%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

WBAFCvSAFC.GIF
    Sunderland travel to West Brom in the Championship.
    Last time out Sunderland drew with Leeds and West Brom beat Rotherham
    The Black Cats maintained their position in 13th place with 53 points after a hard fought point at Elland Road. Mike Dodds made some tactical changes for the Leeds game reverting to a back 5 at times to nullify their attacking threat. Timi Pembele had an impressive debut and could start. Evans, Embleton, Cirkin, Rusyn, Seelt and Huggins remain unavailable.
    West Brom beat relegated Rotherham 2-0 with first-half goals from Brandon Thomas-Asante and a highly controversial John Swift penalty. With four games left, Carlos Corberan's side are six points behind fourth-placed Southampton - four ahead of sixth-placed Norwich City and, most crucially, nine clear of seventh-placed Coventry City.
    Former Black Cats, Jann M’Vila and Josh Maja could feature.
    Mike Dodds:
    "The out of possession stuff I thought we were really good with, we obviously played them earlier in the year and nullified them then, they had one shot on target which is an achievement based on the Premier League talent they have at the top end of the pitch.
    "Our in possession stuff wasn't good enough, we need to be better with the ball and we'd have made it a much more comfortable evening for ourselves.
    "That's four clean sheets in five now. If we can improve in-possession, we are a match for anyone in the league."
    "Carlos Corberan:
    "I did not see a video of the penalty incident but I knew from the level of protest from the Rotherham bench that there was doubt.
    "I hope to see the team compete at their best level from now until the end of the season.
    "Every game is hard but we need to keep going and achieve something unbelievable."
    Form:
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    MATTHEW DONOHUE
    Assistant Referees: Paul Hodskinson & Nigel Lugg
    Fourth Official: Jeremy Simpson

Team Lineups:Sunderland AFC: (3-4-3) Patterson, Ballard, O’Nien, Hume, Pembele, Neil, Ekwah, Styles, Rigg, Clarke, Jobe.
    Team.GIF
    Subs:
    Bishop, Ba, Hjelde, Alese, Hemir, Aouchiche, Dack, Roberts, Watson.
    Injured: Huggins, Cirkin, Embleton, Seelt, Rusyn, Evans, Matete.

West Brom (4-2-3-1) Palmer, Furlong, Bartley, Kipré, Reach, M'Vila, Yokuslu, Fellows, Swift, Johnston, Thomas-Asante.
    Subs: Townsend, Ajayi, Maja, Phillips, Diangana, Chalobah, Weimann, Mowatt, Griffiths
    Injured: Molumby, Dike
    Characteristics.GIF
    Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    18/5 West Brom 3/4 Draw 13/5

Prutton Predicts: meh

My two pence:
    A solid defensive display and good slice of luck from the referee saw us grind out a 0-0 at Leeds. I’m expecting a similar sort of approach for this one and I’d be very happy with another clean sheet. WBA are dangerous in the air, which just happens to be one of our weakest areas. Hopefully Doddsy starts with Alese but we shall see.
    I’m going for a 0-1 away win

Live Stream:
    Available Overseas fans only
    https://safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

2. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Presser:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  3. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Think we could snatch a draw here. They're uneaten in 9 but not playing all that well. There will be nerves in the stadium and I'd like to see us set up similar to the Leeds game and nullify them early on and look for a goal on the break

4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

That's what I'd like to see
    - but Doddsy might have a tinker <laugh>

5. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

We were unlucky not to score against Leeds and Jack Clarke is due one, so I'm going for 1-2 to the lads with Chris Rigg also bagging one.

WBA will score from a penalty :)

6. safcfansofaraway

safcfansofaraway Well-Known Member

Was a great game last year, wish I could get to this one but not possible. Unfortunately the star of the show last year, Denis Cirkin isn't available, I still remember his goal celebrations, or lack of, he didn't really know what to do in front of us crazy, cheering fans. One game to live long in the memory, let's hope we can put them to the sword again!. HTL

7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

We turned them over there last season, like Leeds they'll be nervous whilst it's a free hit for us so why not a repeat of last season's result HTL.

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Same setup as Leeds for me, it suits us. Not quite as exciting to watch but it's not that much different and we look much more solid at the back.

Personally I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of free flowing attacking football for a professional performance. You'd think when we eventually get back to the prem a more pragmatic approach would be wise so might as well start now.

9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Not sure who the ref was but that was a shocking decision last night.

Robertson and Dorset like this.
  10. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

Feel like I say this every week now but I’d be happy with a draw here

RTB likes this.

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Tops again RTB <applause> The same team again will do me, but a change of timing and personnel in the subs (including Jobe , who is again looking drained after 60 mins) might not go amiss. Play like we did against Leeds , I have been saying this all season, and we will be OK. for a point or even 3 . OaU

12. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

Patto
    Hume Ballard O'Nien
    Pembele Ekwah Neil Styles
    Rigg Hemir Clarke

See no harm in starting and sticking with Hemir from now until the end of the season.

Don't want to see Roberts touch the field.

Think I'm going to go with another 0-0, boring prediction I know but recently we look good defensively, apart from the Blackburn game, and a bit disjointed going forward.

clockstander and RTB like this.
  13. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I like this team , maybe start Mundle up front ?, he covers a lot of ground and often wins the ball back if he looses it, always can bring Hemir and Jobe on at 60 mins to freshen it up.

Young Ted, RTB and SourPatch2 like this.
  14. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Terrible decision. What was the ref thinking?

RTB likes this.
  15. Neil

Neil Well-Known Member

It's the most local ground to where I live, and for the first time in quite a while I'll be going, so I'm hoping for a win. Most years I get to a number of the Midlands based away games and only an occasional home game, but the last couple of years I've been to more home games but managed to be busy whenver we're playing round these parts. Looking forwards to it. HTL.

16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Agreed. I think we fully deserved our point. Got lucky with the second penalty decision (first one nobody had any idea it was a penalty despite Farkface’s comments!) but, every time we complain about certain decisions it always “evens itself out” so they can stick that in their pipe and smoke it!!

17. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Tough game. Would be delighted with another point.

Hudson92 and RTB like this.
  18. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Score draw for me. Maybe a Desmond or some Irish foliage

Disco down under likes this.
  19. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Personally I would not have accepted that. It needs a manager and a decent owner to allow their team to walk off. Absolutely fkn disgraceful decision.

20. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Going for another draw and decent performance from us. 1-1 although obviously hoping for the win.

Cheers RTB.

Bank of England 2 and RTB like this.