1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

West Brom up next.....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I thought it was a fantastically entertaining game.Yes,for the first goal Wolfie should have taken a yellow card for the team,like Morsy did.

As to starting with Hutchinson and Sarmiento I think the Maidstone game showed they are less effective from the start when teams are fresh and they have a far bigger impact attacking tiring players later in the game,ideally at the 60 minute mark or slightly earlier.

RB continues to be a problem and it is that area where most of our conceded goals come from.

Having said all that I agree the Season has been immensely enjoyable and we have given a good account of ourselves in the vast majority of games.

Spanish, Redruth, San Diego and 2 others like this.
  2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Spot on ptc!

For me, the recurring issue is we start games so poorly and the reasons for encouragement are how we end games strongly.

We are conceding too many goals for a promotion contender. It doesn’t help that we tend to go a goal down within the first ten minutes. To me, this seems like a lack of preparation or perhaps issues with concentration in defence. Both the Baggies’ goals were fairly avoidable. Woolfenden will want to take back his defensive “effort” for their first - far too complacent and accommodating. I’d lay the blame more on Hdlaky, who should be saving those sorts of efforts from that range. The ball wasn’t hit with much speed.

As for our strengths, it’s the number of late goals we score - the highest in the division. McKenna is a fast in-game learner who usually reacts well to how games unfold. Yesterday, we kept our shape and notched a last minute equaliser and then nearly won it right at the end. It’s a brilliant mentality from our team, that never say die spirit. He also showed a bit more flexibility with his formation, so hopefully a clearer Plan B is being worked on.

We can’t dress it up though - our recent form has been poor. But we had been playing a lot of top sides in this division. We’ve got six odd games coming up against easier teams - on paper - that aren’t competing in the play offs. Hopefully that helps. Burgess coming back in central defence will be a big plus. Moore will adapt to how we play. Our impact subs - Hutchinson and Sarmiento - know what they need to do when they come on.

We’re a well coached team that provides brilliant value when watching us - no wonder Sky are televising half our games lately! We just need stronger defensive stability and to start games better. The wins will come back. Regardless of where we finish, this has been a memorable season so far and I didn’t think we’d ever be this competitive in our first season back.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Redruth, itfcptc, San Diego and 2 others like this.
  3. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Another excellent summary SD, we are spoilt for choice! Totally agree with the subs at 60, greater impact, more energy, pace and indeed skills, as well as shooting.
    Equally, I would like one or two to now start a game, having learnt the style & system.

We then might be the 1st to score a goal!

San Diego, Nuggets and Redruth like this.
  4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I thought he did okay with the subs yesterday, although given our other options not sure Harness was the best to come in. Perhaps in the next transfer window a back up for that position needs looking at.

2nd half even before the subs I thought we had good momentum, at 1-1 there only really looked like 1 team who were going to win it but the opposition will always have a chance and they took their half chance.

It shows you how far we've come when you've got a 5th placed team in the Championship play defensively against us and trying the smash and grab.

Despite us scoring 2 goals I thought WBA were very good defensively, they didn't let Burns or Davis play their normal game but we have so many different types of players going forwards now as long as we've got a spearhead up top we will score goals. What I like about what weve got with Al-Hamadi and Moore is we now have players who are good at attacking the ball in the box...something even with Hirst I think we've lacked.

Unfortunately like the Burley days (and to an extent Royle) because we are an attacking team and ask our defenders to contribute going forwards our style of play means we are always going to be more at risk of conceding more goals than we would like.

If we perform like yesterday the rest of the season we've got a chance of autos.

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Another good summary, guys you are in the wrong business!
    Agree with all you say PTC but subs at 74 and 83 mins way too late!

And you are 2 in the box poster like me and others. Al-Hamadi & Moore up front will cause havoc in games to come.

We are unfinished business and still so much to admire about this season. Take note that Leicester & Saints wobbled yesterday, Saints 2-0 down at one stage to lowly Uddersfield.

Nuggets and itfcptc like this.
  6. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

As in from mid table league 1 to promotion from league 1, then at least playoffs in championship. That is called progression and moving forward, deary me, these Leeds fans aren't very intelligent!!<laugh><doh>

7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Southampton have two away trips in four days from Tuesday - an admittedly inconsistent Bristol City side and West Brom on the Friday. It’s quite possible they drop some points, although both they and Leeds are in hot form.

Unfortunately with the massive divide between the Premier League and the Championship - Leicester, Leeds, and Southampton (who all spent a few years or more in the top flight) have the strongest hands and should be finishing in the top six. They’ve still got to play one another again, with Southampton visiting Leeds on the last day of the season.

We’ve just got to keep in the conversation and hopefully make up some ground over the next six games. In April, we’ve got Southampton at home and Norwich away in the same week. All games are important, obviously, but I think those two matches will be absolutely crucial “six pointers”.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  8. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

That is the reason I don't especially want to go back up. Maybe if we can sneak into the top six we can get an Old Farm play off final with you winning on pens.

9. lifecheshirewhite

And what do you call 10/12 points clear of 3rd place to 4th place and one of the worst form teams in the league.<doh> I hope you keep progressing like this <laugh>.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I can see why Spanish gives you so much stick on your board. Tragic.

11. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

It was him constantly coming on to our board giving it the we're 11 points clear of the 'Leeds scum,' so we'd have to lose 4 and you win 4 to catch us, which isn't going to happen bollocks, that started this nonsense in the first place. As you say, tragic, as the rest of you seem a decent bunch.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  12. lifecheshirewhite

It was an Ipswich muppet that started this,just replying in kind,if you can't take it back,maybe don't give it out.<doh>

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

If we were 11 points clear, Leeds are three points ahead now and we've a game in hand, we've not lost four and you've not made up the 12 points to overtake us have you? Doesn't sound like bollocks to me. On the other hand, Southampton have come from further back and leap frogged both of us. Full respect to them.

14. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Well you were 11 points clear, and you're not now, his posts were basically you're not going to catch us , yet we have. That is part of the banter, I think it was his incessant use of 'Leeds scum' that riled folk. Perhaps you can understand that ffs

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Good evening all Leeds posters. Can I respectfully ask as the senior Tractor boy on here, to leave us alone.

We are enjoying the ride and amazed at how we are performing well above our weight.

We wait to see who is where at end of the season. And perhaps meet you in the play-offs.

16. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Perhaps have a word with the instigator and I'm sure it will go away.

17. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Ironically it was one of our posters commending your season in a debate about league positions, with another stating, which he did before the season started, that he had you down as making the play off's, as he liked your style of play and thought it would suit the Championship , a few stating we'd not catch you and the top 2 looked sorted,then one of ours said he expected you to drop off with it being a long season and you having a small squad, injuries kicking in could catch up with you. Then your fella started the bollocks he did, ignoring the complimentary posts and having a go at the one he took offence to but itbturned out to be correct. It's obvious he has an hatred of us but don't give it Billy big bollocks and expect nothing in return.

18. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The ignore button is your friend,Gaffer!

19. Spanish

excuse you, I came on spouting we are 11 points clear of Leeds scum. I originally came on and was polite, just pointed out that you lot putting us down when we were loads of points ahead...was a tad rude and arrogant!! Which you didn't like very much, which....shows what you lot are like. Then one of your lot calls my wife and daughters slags and you expect me to be nice, **** off you moron!!

20. Spanish

Let's be honest....you are scum aren't you, I would say vermin but that's cruel to vermin!! A little bit of banter and then you lot show your true colours by calling someone's family slags....class!!