1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WEMBELEE, WEMBELEE

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Delusional Full Stop, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Apparently, we will only receive 3,000 tickets when we play the Spuds at their temporary "home" next season. With a capacity of 90,000 that would give us 3.3333% of the tickets. Sure that can't be right but it is supposedly on the Spuds website re away fans allocation. Thought there was a minimum of 5% had to be given to away fans in the PL.

2. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Only 57000 Spurs fans then.

3. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No its 3000 tickets minimum unless capacity under 30000 in which case its 10% of capacity. Remember they have to ensure there is room for the 5000 Chinese tourists who want to watch some footy while shopping in London.

4. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

I canny relocate it, but I saw an image on twitter showing where the away fans would be housed. Its to the bottom left hand corner when looking at Wembley from an areal view right next to the pitch. It's believed an average of 6,0000 tickets will be available for away fans.

The League Cup final is 3 weeks before so for some fans they will be doing the trip twice in a month!

5. Toon_Man_Sam1

6. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

That's a fcking disgrace, that. Not ridiculous enough that London clubs have Parliament and all subsequent associated benefits, but they get free stadiums too?

Should have been a 10% allocation, end of, for all teams unless they specifically request they couldn't fill it. Spurs bricking it they're going to do a West Ham.

7. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Even more of a reason to hate the bastards - if there's one club I genuinely despise in London it's Spurs

Even most other footy fans I know in London hate Spurs....

8. Toon_Man_Sam1

I hate spurs and it's a travesty that they can get away with allocating 3,000 away fans whilst giving themselves 87,000.00 tickets which will include huge corporate deals. My spurs pal argues by saying that its fair because their paying £25m a season for it. I'm not a financial genius, but can tell you now, just the income from corporate will pay for that, then there's the other 80,000 tickets, food, drink and merch.

Although its not as awful as the West ham deal, this one sits right up there. Once again the wealthy making money out of the tax payer.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

We get nothing out of the catering or merchandising at all and are paying 7 times what West Ham pay. We're also committed to spending a lot of additional money and time in Brent on charitable and promotional works as part of the deal. All of our top players are doing appearances at hospitals and schools and other local authority services and we're committed to funding stuff locally.

This deal was negotiated whilst Chelsea offered Wembley's owners a blank cheque to give them sole rights to lease the stadium, thereby cutting us out, even though they didn't have planning permission for their ground development and there was no chance of any conflict of interest between the clubs.

Hate us all you like for the ticket allocation (I understand your frustration but we have our reasons) but this is no 'stitch up' like The London Taxpayers Arena deal and having gone to the European games last season, none of us Spurs want a season at Wembley.

10. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

But are you seriously expecting sell outs? To Spurs it doesn't matter who buys the tickets so long as they are bought. And it seems totally unfair to offer 3,000 tickets to away teams with the implied suggestion that you are expecting 87,000 "Spurs" fans to buy tickets. The away allocation could easily have been doubled as away teams have to pay for all tickets they request regardless of them selling all of them or not and so Spurs would still have got the ticket money at least.

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

Do you put away supporters in a prime part of the ground or tuck them away somewhere away from the pitch? Fairness? In football? Come on, it's got no place in the modern game. Left to their own devices, most big clubs wouldn't have away supporters in their ground at all. It's a disadvantage and costs in policing, stewarding, etc.

Will we sell out the stadium for every game? Probably not. Do we really care if we fall 3,000 sales shortby not doubling the away support? Also, probably not. We need to qualify for the Champions League for the £50m it gives us and to keep our best players. If we can make Wembley seem a little bit more like WHL, then that becomes more achievable. If we attract 3,000 new Spurs fans into attending football then that's a great outcome. I'm sorry to say that what other clubs want is the bottom of a long list. If you think your club would do differently you're probably wrong or your club's not very well run.

12. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

You talk about policing/stewarding and the cost thereof - if away fans (and I'm talking about Newcastle here) want to go, they'll get a ticket - because, as you say, you want to attract fans into the ground, so realistically, most London based Newcastle fans will by some means get hold of a ticket. Part of the football "tourism" trade.

We've typically had 6-7,000 at Craven Cottage for the game against Fulham and to be fair, I think Spurs will be seen as a "bigger" game - especially at Wembley for fans to attend.

Not suggesting our fans being in with home fans will result in any sort of issues by any means, but surely the easiest way to ensure incidents don't occur is to keep home and away fans separate (unfortunately this seems to need to be the case) - the club are actively creating potential situations which, by a different ticketing mechanism, they could avoid.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

I don't disagree. Our European games have seen remaining tickets go on general sale, which I can't see happening as it would be carnage with away fans everywhere. So, those fans who are willing to become members will have access to buying tickets if the ticket people can't differentiate between true home support and away supporters.

I have been a member at Fulham for a number of years (and Palace) for exactly the same reason. Our membership scheme is a a lot pricier but I fully accept that more than 3,000 Newcastle fans will find their way into the game. We're just trying to find as much advantage from a position we'd rather not be in. As I said before, you'd do the same if you had the same problem of playing all your home games in an away ground where you have a piss poor record.

14. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Speaking from a fan's perspective I have, in general, found games with a vocal away support have the best atmospheres. Think of the FA Cup games in years gone by.

Players usually play better when there is a good atmosphere in comparison to when the atmosphere is dead.

With the players Spurs have got I would have fancied their chances against most teams and rather than present a "dead" atmosphere for the games at Wembley I would have thought it more in Spurs interests to generate an atmosphere at a ground which apparently is becoming famed for having none in the hope that this would inspire the players to do well.

15. "Thanks for that Brian"

At WHL we do just fine, with or without significant away supporters. At Wembley there are problems. Those who want to take part aren't necessarily sat together. Against Gent and Monaco I was surrounded by people who looked on in silence as I sang myself hoarse (in vain as it turned out.) This fragmentation wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the accoustics.

The accoustics in the stadium are all wrong for having a vast majority supporting the home team (surprise, surprise the FA ****ed it.) The noise rolls around the bowl and gets all out of synch. It doesn't happen when you're in one end or concentrated in one spot. It cuts long periods of singing or chanting dead as everyone's singing out of time.

It gets out of synch really quickly. Our experience is such that we've brought in U2's sound people to design the internal roof shape at the new WHL. What we can do with is every advantage we can get our hands on. Unfortunately for away fans, we're not going to open up 'the party' but that's not how we see it

That said, if we play as badly at Wembley in the first half of next season as we did last season, it might all change by Christmas as we languish in mid-table and need the money to replace CL money with the good old Europa League crust we've been used to.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  16. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I think we're all getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. This game is in March. For all we know we could be sat bottom of the league and wondering how we will manage to sell 3000 tickets for a game in London. The situation could well be different by then anyway as Spurs will have more info on how many tickets they are selling each game. If both teams have a disappointing season the ground could be half empty as neither team sell their allocation.

17. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Judge Death likes this.
  18. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'll be in the minority. I don't think Spurs should have any allocation imposed on them that isn't in line with the rest of the clubs. Not sure why they'd want to turn their home games into a particularly noisy away section? Its their home ground for the season and should be treat as such. I think the Mag are talking a load of guff. As are the rest of you moaning minnies. You could start an argument in an empty house you bunch of wet blankets :biggrin:

19. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I won't be going so I don't care. :emoticon-0148-yes:

20. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

That's the spirit <laugh>