1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Well done Robbie Elliott

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Apone, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Apone

Apone Active Member

Ex-Toon and Sunderland star’s bike ride for Sir Bobby
    Ex- Newcastle United footballer Robbie Elliott launching his foundation and challenging himself with triathlete Phil Gray to cycle from Newcastle to Lisbon in Portugal via all the clubs that Sir Bobby Robson managed to raise money for the Babby Robson Foundation.
    By MILES STARFORTH
    Published on Wednesday 15 February 2012 15:06

FORMER football Robbie Elliott is planning to cycle 3,500 miles for charity in honour of Sir Bobby Robson.

The former Newcastle United star today launched the Robbie Elliott Foundation.

And the 38-year-old - who retired from football four years ago - will cycle between all eight teams that Robson managed in a mammoth fundraising drive named Bike for Bobby.

Elliott and triathlete Phil Gray will cycle from Lisbon to Newcastle via Porto, Barcelona, Eindhoven, Ipswich and London, where he will visit Fulham and Wembley, in October.

The money raised will go towards the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

“I’ve lost family, friends and work colleagues to cancer, and the aim is to raise as much money as I can,” said Elliott, who also played for Bolton Wanderers, Sunderland, Leeds United and Hartlepool United.

“For myself, I owe Sir Bobby a lot - he was the manager who brought me back for my second spell at Newcastle.

“This is a bit of payback and a thank you for him.

“I’ve been thinking of doing some charitable work for a while, and I’ve now set up the foundation.

“I had to come up with a big idea, and I was inspired by Mark Allison -Run Geordie Run - who ran across the United States last summer.”

Since the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation was launched in 2008, it has raised more than £3.9m to help find more effective treatments for cancer.

For more information, go to the Bike For Bobby website, www.bikeforbobby.com

2. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Yes well done Robbie Elliott.

3. murray out

murray out Well-Known Member

well done, take a bow son

4. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Always good to see somebody that has done well for himself, think of others.

5. Shola's Concrete Boots

Shola's Concrete Boots Active Member

Would love to do something like this but couldn't afford the travel and the time of work haha

6. shaxi

shaxi Member

really ?

please log in to view this image

7. barnaby

barnaby Well-Known Member

Well done Robbie and good luck.

8. samoholic

samoholic Member

Erm... Should someone mention that he managed in Canada too?! Imagine getting to Lisbon, absolutely knackered, and being told: "Nice one Robbie, slight change of plan though. We've just found out Bobby also managed Vancouver Royals so you've got another 5,171 miles to go... go for it!!!"