1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Weight Lifting - From Walt Slobchak to Walt Sixpack

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Walter Sobchak, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Now then, any of you melon farmers lift weights?

Brief history: I'm 30 odd, 6ft 1" and about 14.6 stone. Never weight lifted in my life and live quite a sedentary lifestyle. Technically i'm obese although I don't look it.

I've been doing stronglift exercises for a bout 3 weeks, in 5 x 5 sets. They are squats, deadlifts, bench press, barbell rows and overhead presses. As I'm all fat and bone I had to start with just the barbell and no weight added on, adding 2.5 kg to the weight every time I go. So I've gone from squatting the bar to about 47.5 kg so far. Within 12 weeks I should be squatting more than 100 kg. It's meant to build a core base of strength so that then you can branch off and do other types of lifting, and be generally good for your health, back, posture, legs etc. You also get to eat a lot which is good.

It's going well so far, although I fell over yesterday with two 10kg plates in my hands and had all the 'bros' in the gym pissing themselves.

Anyone got any experience or advice? I've got chalk and ordered a belt, and watch youtube vids to make sure my form is right.

Anyway if this thread dies on it's arse I'll resurrect it in a few months time as I'm sure you'll all be really keen to hear about my progress <diva>:emoticon-0165-muscl:emoticon-0135-makeu

2. Arnold_Lane_HCFC

Arnold_Lane_HCFC Well-Known Member

Good luck fatty, will be interesting to hear of your progress.

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  3. Girt Bucket

Girt Bucket Well-Known Member

Which Gimnasia xo do exercise at Walt ?.
    I have been at Fit24 & Nuffield for 9 years.

4. Walter Sobchak

I go to Base Fitness on Grovehill Road in Bev.

Are you weight lifting as well or other forms of exercise?

5. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, invest in a couple of lessons from a personal trainer, they'll make sure your posture is right and also give you a view on different exercises that you can do as the same repetitions over and again aren't always the best for you - variety helps to build muscle

Putney Tiger likes this.
  6. Walter Sobchak

That fatty comment will push me to lift more than ever Arnold.

Arnold_Lane_HCFC likes this.
  7. pierredelafranchesca

As an example - with squats it's good to vary it between back squats (bar on your shoulders), front squats (other side of your neck) and then also doing a variety of single leg exercises like split squats, bulgarian etc. it's also good to work the same muscle groups with things like a variety of deadlifts too

8. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

You’re 6’ 1”, 14st 6lb & obese? **** me I need to pile on some extra inches, I appear to be overly short for my weight.

Once trimmed up & looking like Arnie Schwarzenegger you should do a Charity dead lift with Me & Chazz on the bar. Perhaps raising money for your own rehabilitation?

Kempton, GLP, askewshair and 4 others like this.
  9. Walter Sobchak

I think eventually I'll move into this sort of thing but I find I have to concentrate to make sure the single variety of stuff I do is done properly. Once my form in these becomes second nature I'll branch out I think.

10. Walter Sobchak

Luckily the people in the gym are friendly enough to spend time and help out with form and advice so hopefully will save some money there.

11. Walter Sobchak

<laugh> I don't think I'm going to get near worlds strongest man level unfortunately SCB.

12. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

"Walt Sixgun" :emoticon-0105-wink:

please log in to view this image

13. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

If you've never lifted before then Stronglifts is a good place to start, build a base and learn the basics. As Pierre said you'll mix it up later but for now that program is well....erm programmed.

Of the lifts you're doing the deadlift is the one you need to be absolutely spot on with in terms of form.

The main thing (apart from progressive overload) is consistency - to see results you have to stick with it.

You've been going great guns for 3 weeks and as you've seen you've got amazing newbie gains. They will slow eventually but if you keep going they'll won't stop.

Oh and remember Abs are built in the kitchen...

14. Walter Sobchak

Cheers mate. There seems to be a bit of debate with deadlift as to whether the bar should effectively roll up your shins and thighs, or just touch your shins at the start. So far I start with the bar touching my shins and it hits my thighs but it's not in constant contact. I haven't had any back pain so I can't be doing it that incorrectly anyway.

15. Girt Bucket

Girt Bucket Well-Known Member

I don't feel like I even have a core centre. I'm not even sure what I'm doing there. I have trouble in remembering to breathe for the most part of my day in this life. I am 50 & 5ft5" & 100 kg (15 stone). I had a dislocated knee as a teenager , & have been fearful of physical activity ever since , even thou I grew up in Australia. And it's about the psychological fear to me and a weakness in that knee , that could result in the patella shifting across the plate. So 9 years ago I started to slowly run on the treadmill to gain confidence. I still do. Whilst at the Gym , I tend to move about the space and dabble on the fixed machines etc.I throw away good money in membership fees monthly by even going. But I do enjoy It.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  16. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

If you have one you can always use a trapbar for deads. It's not exactly the same exercise but I use one more often than not now.

Trapbar.jpg

17. pierredelafranchesca

Trap bar deadlifts will help your back as you don't get as low to the floor, and can in essence do it like a squat, they will **** your traps up though without you realising it!

18. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Seems a really obscure place for a car to lose three of its wheel trims.

19. Walter Sobchak

Cheers. I think for now I'm going to stick with the deadlift as I'm making a lot of noob gains.

20. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

Just wear high heels mate?