1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Discussion

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This weekend as with last weeks weekender I am posting something without any personal views (Although the last paragraph was tongue in cheek) I do have a lot of views on these subjects but tried to be neutral for this. Its meant to be a discussion and everyone will have a view especially on the 2nd subject. lets hope for another good weekend and 3 more points towards safety:emoticon-0148-yes:

This weekend I think all football fans should spare a thought for the bottom of the football pyramid. The governments decision to not allow fans back is going to cripple and kill off many non-league clubs. Plenty of EFL clubs are being artificially kept afloat due to EFL loans and payments from the Premier league being brought forward, which means they’ve already had it. There are also some issues for some clubs in the Premier League too.

The non-league clubs were due to kick off the season next week, but has now been cancelled. This will see a lot of players out of work simply because the top echelon of non-league clubs pay player wages and as soon as they play a match the players contract kicks in which means clubs are liable for a 12 month contract for every player, so clubs are not willing to do that so are not going to play. No revenue means no football.

Crazy situation where we can all go sit in a pub or restaurant without a face mask but cannot sit outdoors in a socially distanced environment wearing a mask. The chances of catching the virus outdoors is next to zero? Leeds could have been having almost 10,000 fans at Elland Road which would still have been a massive reduction in match-day revenues as 75% of fans wouldn’t have been allowed in, plus massive loss of club shop sales, bars and food is a massive chunk of revenue.

Leeds will also not get the expected TV revenues because last seasons disruption meant the Premier League have had to agree to give back a huge chunk of cash because Sky etc missed out on match receipts and viewers, plus they have had to hand back advertising money to sponsors. This now means Leeds will get a double whammy as this season will also see a rebate to broadcasters

At the moment we are in the top percentile of football clubs in the black, but it’s a big pyramid and we are going to see a lot of hurt families

Why is football different than other businesses when it comes to employing convicted criminals. If you serve a prison sentence you have done your time and should be able to seek employment. Yes there will be some jobs where an ex convict wouldn’t be suitable depending on the offence. A kiddy fiddler shouldn’t get a job as a teacher for example. A con man shouldn’t be employed as a banker. But football has a reputation of being shamed into sacking anyone who has been in prison. Ched Evans subsequently found not guilty but he and his family went through hell. The former England and Sunderland star who had an affair with a 15 yo who looked like she was 20. Now Selby Town have been forced to sack a player because the clubs main sponsor threatened to pull out, so they sacked Reece Thompson. They brought him in as a temp when he was on parole last season but were shamed into getting rid of him, and then this season since his release he was signed full time and now forced into changing their minds and sacking him before a ball is kicked.

There have been some high profile players who have been to prison like Lee Hughes, George Best etc and some pretty terrible crimes have been committed as in this case which was violence against his girlfriend, but is football now too high profile to employ anyone with a record, unlike the Church who will employ former criminals and in fact the church still have more kiddy fiddlers and fraudsters than the SNP.

Why should football clubs bottle it when a few people on social media can cost someone their career

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    ristac, Jammy 07, OLOF and 3 others like this.
  2. lifecheshirewhite

In New Zealand I worked with a guy who had been in prison for burning down his factory, where he worked. Problem was he and I worked in a petrol station, if he decided to commit arson again he was going to make a big mess. He had told the boss he dropped a lit cig and it was an accident so they gave him a chance, but lots of customers kept coming in saying different as they had lost their jobs when he burnt the factory down. <yikes> After starting to hang around where the cardboard was stored they found a reason to get rid.

wakeybreakyheart and ristac like this.
  3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Got to agree about attending football. Boris the Butcher of Britain hasn't a clue. He was only on form when he wanted to cull 250,000 people by herd immunity. Since it became clear that such madness was unacceptable, he's had to turn full circle. He's had to find other ways to hit his target, so Operation Confusion began.

And he's succeeded. Indeed, in the last few days he's turned it up a gear. My 4yo grandson is having a sleepover tonight, but come midnight, he's only able to go home on a loophole - childcare. And it is a loophole, as it's not essential childcare. Only hours notice given before shutting down Leeds. Now why are they trying different tactics now when the previous wave approach worked so well (eventually)? Operation Confusion in top gear.

I passed Leeds Academy at going home time the other day, So much for staggered starts & fancy classrooms with desks set apart etc. Believe me, they all came out at the same time. There was a crowd - yes, a crowd - walking down the long driveway, out of the school & into Leeds itself. No staggered release - all at the same time. So tell me why that is helping? If anything, it's being conveniently ignored, or it was the plan all along. Kinda coincides with this second wave too.

Really angry the way people are left to threaten the lives of my nearest & dearest (which excludes you mob :D).

Got to correct you about the Chinese contract. The rebate was for last year, so should not affect our income, especially as the deal has been re-signed.

My personal view won't be popular re. the survival of the smallest clubs. The money received by the PL is stupid. Yes, the PL clubs are losing income too, but they should be able to afford donating 10% or so of the kitty to help these clubs. We all love Leeds, but don't we all love football & all it stands for too?

Doc likes this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

On the tv cash yes there is £63m missing but last seasons tv rights needed a huge rebate agreeing which the Prem are paying back over the next 3 seasons which means the prize pot for this season will be reduced by the Chinese cash and a third of the other rebate. Looking like this season is now going to be affected too

I believe Klopp and Wilder today have said that Prem clubs should assist?

Whitejock likes this.
  5. lifecheshirewhite

Universitys and schools are the big spreaders now, but as they don't feel they can have another year with no qualifications,they are just trying to hold on till the spring.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  6. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

you seem to get confused rather easily however as you seem to have all the answers maybe you would like to share them

7. 2 pennth

The students are being taken for a ride by the government the universities and the accommodation providers it’s all about money. This country should be ashamed of themselves taking money under false pretences from the future of this great country

Jammy 07 likes this.
  8. lifecheshirewhite

Most of it can be done from home, if students can afford course's and accommodation, sure they could afford a computer do it from home.
    I've got a speeding awareness cause next week, you do it from home, through Zoom face time.

9. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

That's going to followed up by a spelling course?

NostradEmus, 2 pennth and Whitejock like this.
  10. 2 pennth

So why didn’t the government point students in this direction
    Simple because the universities wanted their money and the accommodation providers wanted their money
    I rest my case knowing I am right.

Doc likes this.

11. Adieu OEA

Adieu OEA Active Member

Calm down. Don’t believe the hype (or the government, or the bbc etc). There’s no “second wave”, it’s all manipulated figures and false positives from dodgy testing. The true facts and figures are available if one bothers to look. And none of the guidance has made sense from day one, there’s been nothing logical about this, yet everyone follows every ridiculous government instruction. Makes me almost physically sick.

This will (or should) go down in history as one of the biggest scams ever, though to what purpose, your guess is as good as mine!?

Rant over.

Leedsoflondon, FORZA LEEDS and Doc like this.
  12. lifecheshirewhite

I'm on a sentences course after, they show you where to put be, as in GOING TO BE FOLLOWED. <whistle>

13. lifecheshirewhite

To wind conspiracy theary people up.

wakeybreakyheart and Aski like this.
  14. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Write in my best handwriting:

To be, or not to be, that is the question.

100 times

:emoticon-0111-blush

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Some switched on people have come up with the answer to why Orta flew into Amsterdam yesterday. He has a relationship with FC Utrecht and did the deal for sending Klich on loan there. It seems he may have gone over to buy their flying winger?

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

More stuff about it?

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

And more

According to De Telegraaf, Leeds United are close to agreeing a deal to sign Utrecht forward Gyrano Kerk.

The 24-year-old appeared to be on his way to Italy with Cagliari and Hellas Verona both strongly linked with the forward.

However, De Telegraaf is reporting that Leeds United are set to trump the Serie A duo. Utrecht are hoping for a fee of around €10 million.

Kerk has a contract with Utrecht until 2023, but has made it clear he is open to a move abroad. He has made 136 appearances for Utrecht, scoring 33 goals and adding 36 assists.

blonogasoven likes this.
  18. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

How many wingers do we actually need?

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

i feel your pain mate but Bielsa loves wingers and if this lad comes in there is deffo no room for Dan James. We already have Poveda who may not be the quickest but is deffo the most skilful and we also have the new young Dutch Singer Jimmy Summerville, sorry winger <laugh>

20. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Look at the data. Average age of death is 82.
    Number of hospital deaths from the virus among people with no previously known health condition 1350, only 307 were below the age of 60.
    Over half the deaths in care homes.
    Flu has killed more people this year than Covid.

wakeybreakyheart and Doc like this.