1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Wednesday 21st. July 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 20, 2021.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

2. LordGyllene

LordGyllene Well-Known Member

Bath 1.00 Navajo Dawn

Backed this one 2 times at Brighton this season and will do so again today. Picked up minor money 3 times from 6 runs this year. Didn't get home over 6 f when leading 2 f out last 2 runs. Drop back to 5 f could suit today. Well drawn for a prominent racer and Ray Dawson takes off 3lb. Yard amongst the winners recently. Worth a small each way bet in my opinion.

smokethedeadbadger, karlos5001 and # like this.
  3. karlos5001

karlos5001 Well-Known Member

Had a tip for Sigurosson the under 15’s race. Sorry bad joke :emoticon-0104-surpr

smokethedeadbadger and redcgull like this.
  4. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

The 6.40 Leicester is a Handicap race where the joint favourites are both maidens. I'm not keen on that scenario, but it's a fairly uninspiring field here.

Mille Miglia has only had three starts and represents Clive Cox. She has had 3 runs at a mile and steps up 2F now on her handicap debut off 68. Has she been raced to get a mark and then been stepped up to the trip she actually needs to exploit the rating?

Sky Bright is 0/8 but ran quite well last time when second. Raised a pound to 64 for that she should be competitive but a couple of starts back she tried 10F and didn't seem to stay when last of the eight runnes, some 15 lengths adrift. Based on that I couldn't be backing a maiden who has a question at the trip.

I went with Quemonda, who ran as well as could be expected last time when second. An older horse but a winner and I felt she could be competitive at 9/2.

In Ireland I had been waiting for HMS Endeavour. By War Front out of Lady Eli, he may be a loner term prospect and there has been money for the Lyons runner but I said I would take 2/1 if it were available on the O'Brien horse and he is 5/2, so played.

4.15 Naas HMS Endeavour 5/2
    6.40 Leicester Quemonda 9/2

two singles and a double.

5. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

17:00 Catterick - Golden Melody

(Good run at Chester 11-days ago in Class-4 race over slightly longer race. Today dropped significantly to Class-6 over slightly shorter trip. Ridden today by the experienced stable jockey, David Allan, for the Tim Easterby yard. 13/2 freely available at time of writing. Should handle the Good-to-Firm (Good in places) ground OK. Has a decent chance in this event at a worthwhile price.)

6. stick

stick Bumper King

I am stopping this one......you have been doing too well lately

7. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I'm on Ice Age at 40/1 ew in this. Skybet going 4 places but i'd already backed it with Bet365 before realising this so only the 3 places for me. Run last time under this jockey on debut for this yard was quite encouraging. Wasn't far away in 3rd. Up in trip today. You have to go back a long way to find any form over 7f but it is there. I just thought it stood out as a huge price and you don't have to risk much at that sort of price.

Best of luck with yours mate

8. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Bit disappointing from HMS Endeavour. He held an excellent position to strike from but there was nothing there and he weakened as if needing the race.

Recurrent Dream picked up nicely and scored with plenty in hand. Ger Lyons seems to have Aidan O'Brien covered when it comes to getting one ready first time and the market got it right with merits of the two horses for today. Ger has a promising looking team of youngsters this season but can they go on and build on that promise?

HMS Endeavour failed to excite today, even allowing for perhaps needing the race. You wouldn't exactly be running out to try to get a price for him for the Gimcrack on 20th August and he will need to show something smart in a hurry to warrant going to the National Stakes on 12th September. Still, St Mark's Basilica was beaten on debut last year and we saw what happened with him.

Grade One likes this.
  9. SwanHills

The dreaded 4th! Nevertheless a very disappointing run when given every chance by the rider. Oh well, onwards to the next one! :emoticon-0101-sadsm :bandit:

<laugh> You sure as heck stopped me in my tracks, Stick! <laugh>
    (Erm, wrong thread, but what do you think of the R's recent transfer rumours. Don't like this Sheff.Wed. defender guy, Way way too injury-prone at such a price the club would have to fork-out? They just cannot afford this. Fernandes and Warburton badly need a re-think here, if not too late?)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  10. SwanHills

Like the chance of Sea Sylph in the 20:10 at Sandown tonight. How I used to love going to a Sandown evening meeting in my younger days, Even if I was bust after racing, could walk back home along the Portsmouth Road to Kingston! <laugh>

Ah, very pleasant memories! <ok>

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021

11. stick

stick Bumper King

There is a lot of clickbait nonsense out there mate. We are not in a position to be paying out £5M in transfer fees so I think its a non starter. As pre-season arrivals goes this is the best we have had in a long time. They are still working to get Johansen in from Fulham and if that happens it will be a marvelous start to the season. I think our second half of the season performance would have seen us come fourth so we really should be play off contenders. A fast start is essential.
    I like the fact that we have Man U and Leicester visiting pre season. Far more challenging than trips to League Two sides.
    We have also done really well in trimming the wage budget with many being shipped out and our stance on Tom Carroll showed me are only prepared to deal on our terms. What we really need to see this season is the emergence of some of our younger players. We have a couple of really good ones and I hope Warbs finds it possible to get them some game time in the first team even if it is only in the Carabao Cup.
    The future looks brighter than it has for some time. I predict a top four finish.

Bustino74 and SwanHills like this.
  12. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Do you think you'll soon be losing your Assistant Manager??? It's all over the local media that he is set for the Swansea job providing he can agree terms.

13. stick

stick Bumper King

As good as gone sadly. Been a great lad to have around and he will be missed. Swansea are probably quite regretful that they didnt take him the last time they interviewed him.

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.