1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We thumped 5 goals past Wycombe!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Southcoastoldgaffer, May 6, 2022.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Just a note, as we slip into the hazy lazy days of Summer and endless transfer news, that we put 5 past Wycombe at the end of last year. They had a remarkable 12 game run to make the Play-offs, winning 8 of them. Which puts our rather dismal run-in into perspective.

As others have said, I cant recall any season, any League that one had to get 80 pts plus to make the finals.

Will it be easier next season? I doubt it!

2. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

on a personal note, I still think the team that ends up third should be automatically into the final, 6 plays 5 away,1 off game, then the winner of that plays 4th at their ground, one off & the winner then plays at Wembley.

3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I’d do away with them altogether,but then I’ve had a thing against them since we were mugged by West Ham in 2005/6(?)

Edit.It was 2004/5 we ended up in 3rd with 85 points and lost out to West Ham on 73,not that I bear a grudge!!

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    itfcptc and Redruth like this.
  4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I'd change it to 4-6 play each other in a round Robin, with the winners playing 3rd in the final

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  5. Southcoastoldgaffer

I agree with comments, and have always thought that after such a long slog thru to early May the top 3, the best 3 as in most other sporting competitions make it thru to final stages, whatver format that might take.

6. Redruth

it happens in the rugby which always baffles me, you finish top but can still not be crowned champions !

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s unfair. Everyone knows at the start of the season what the deal is. It keeps the season going for many sides, otherwise it’d be over for most by February.

8. Redruth

I never mentioned them being unfair, I was just giving my opinion on them.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I didn’t say you did. See big al’s post. And touching on gaffer’s top three solution.

10. Bigalreigned

It’s an artificial tinkering with the system which skews the whole thing.

How about they mess with the Olympic 100 metre final,first two past the line get gold and silver 3rd,4th 5th and 6th stop at the finish line and then run an extra 10 metres to decide who gets bronze?It would stretch out the event and make the end more “interesting”!

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

100 metre sprint isn’t a 46 game season. I’d be all for it except that you’d end up with half the sides in the division having nothing at all to play for. The top flight doesn’t have the problem because there are the European places.

Not all innovation is bad. Remember that historically sides got elected to the Football League. What was ever fair about that? Or for that matter how points deductions and sanctions are handed out. How MK Dons were allowed to exist and Bury weren’t.

12. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I query that the top flight “doesn’t have that problem”. How about if the teams that finish 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th have a play off for the final champions league spot, then we’ll see how many complaints there are from teams that finish 4th but don’t make it into the highly lucrative league. I have no objections to the idea of play offs (although personally, I would like to see the top 3 up and that’s it) but there has to be an advantage to finishing 3rd rather than 6th. I think the NFL has it about right. Teams that have the best record get a 1st round bye and then play home games only until the final

Redruth likes this.
  13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

My personal view is that to give a team such an advantage (not so much a problem with the bye itself but also an extra week of rest and two games fewer to play) is not sporting for playing the final itself.

14. Redruth

I feel that there should be some reward for ending the season in third !
    As Royston says, how would the premiership deal with a play off for the last champions league place?

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Why though? It’s obvious why the top team gets rewarded but why arbitrarily third? Fourth may be on the same points as third and equally as deserving. Poor old Northampton today.. or who’s to say Plymouth aren’t deserving getting the same number of points as Bristol Rovers over 46 games.

I don’t really care too much for the European format. I think it’s a shame there’s not a cup for all the champions. All the same clubs in the final stages is getting dull.

However it’s decided, the play offs are a thrilling watch. I don’t think we’ll quite have enough to come out on top but we’ll build on the fantastic football of the last few months so I fancy us to be involved at this stage next season. I’ll certainly take a day out at Wembley. Maybe we’ll even get a cup run!

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  16. Southcoastoldgaffer

Not a betting man, apart from putting my life on it several times last few years, I have a feeling we will be contesting top 3 places.

Exciting play offs and a 30,000 crowd will roar us home to long overdue return to proper league.

You heard it hear first!

17. Redruth

Because in old money, the top 3 went up. I know they have been around for years, I remember going to selhurst park in the 80s for a play semifinal, which we lost!! Against Charlton. I am not arguing with you because I don't have the will!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I get that but it has nothing to do with a play off system that has a bias, which was what I was arguing against.

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Redruth I’ve enjoyed the games under McKenna where we’ve had an outside chance of making the play offs so they’ve had a competitive edge. Without the play offs our season would have been done before he joined us. That’s why I’d prefer it over a Top 3 scenario. When you get to the play offs themselves you might as well draw straws.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  20. Bigalreigned

It’d be interesting to see what the consensus would be if this time next year we’d been knocked into third spot on goal difference but,say,10 points above 4th place?!

Redruth likes this.