1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We are top of the League !!!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by O.Spurcat, Nov 5, 2012.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

An outstanding performance on Saturday morning saw our under 21 side thrash Newcastle 6-0 and so go top of our division in the very first Premier under 21 league.

We were able to have Andros Tonsend playing along with Ryan Mason, both of whom have been in the 1st team squad recently and Massimo Luongo again was allowed to play because he was not part of Ipswich's squad for their game at Birmingham. Alex Pritchard once again confirmed what a super prospect he is and it was good to see a long overdue return to his best from Dean Parrett.

The competition is divided into 3 leagues which will be completed by Christmas with the top 2 from each league along with the 3 best 3rd place teams qualifying for an elite stage to be played in the New Year. We have 4 games left, finishing with 3 consecutive away games - Southampton at the Lane a week tonight, and then away to Stoke, Sunderland and Aston Villa.

This team are well worth watching and the 8 games played so far have seen 50 goals !!

The current table is as follows -

Spurs 8 - 4 - 2 - 2 - 31 - 19 - 14
    N'castle 8 - 4 - 1 - 3 - 22 - 20 - 13
    Man U 6 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 12 - 10 - 11
    Sund'ld 6 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 9 - 7 - 9
    Villa 7 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 15 - 14 - 9
    Soton 7 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 14 - 15 - 9
    Stoke 8 - 1 - 0 - 7 - 7 - 25 - 3

Our results have been -

Newcastle (A) 4-6
    Man Utd (A) 1-2
    Sund'ld (H) 2-2
    Stoke (H) 7-2
    Villa (H) 3-3
    Soton (A) 4-2
    Man Utd (H) 4-2
    Newcastle (H) 6-0

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems like our defence needs a bit of work, but with Caulker making the first XI, Smith making various squads and playing for England U21s and Byrne out on loan, perhaps that's to be expected.
    A lot of our young midfielders seem to be putting in some very good performances, though. I'd like to see a couple of them given a chance in the first team, especially with our current problems.
    Not a lot of depth up top, as far as I can see. Obika, who's not very popular or Coulibaly, who's young and has been suffering with injuries. Definitely an area that we need to address in January.

3. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Yay!, hello mate <ok>, some good news on the boards! :D

D you know your pm is still off for some reason?

4. notsosmartspur

What are your thoughts on Mick McCarthy for Luongo, I notice he'd dipped out recently under Jewell.

5. O.Spurcat

<ok>.notso

I have been having some technical problems with this site and tried to cure them myself (!!!), but seem to have only succeeded in creating new ones including diasbling pm's.

6. notsosmartspur

SC - if you're struggling with it, I'll have to come back later now, mrs just let me know she's on early train! Its that profile page full of 'tickboxes'. If one of the mods can't help I'll try in a bit. <cheers>

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

If you want to turn PMs back on SC, then go to Control Panel on the top right of this page, then select General Settings on the left hand side, under My Settings.
    Private Messaging is the third heading down.

8. O.Spurcat

Many thanks PNP <ok>.

9. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

SC great to see a Spurs team carrying the tradition of scoring plenty and conceding almost as much.
    Seriously though what is the intention for these players once the league has ended? A chance at the 1st team perhaps?

10. O.Spurcat

Hi Perrymanlegend

The competition continues into the New Year with games for all teams. The "elite 8" (3 group winners and r/up and 2 best 3rd places), will divide into 2 leagues and then semi's etc. The remaining teams will divide into leagues and play each other with nothing at stake.

As with all competitons beneath the first team it's geared to help players come through having gained regular competitive football at a decent level. This competiton does also allow for 4 over aged players to play (3 outfield and 1 keeper), so it offers an opportunity for fringe players/injured first teamers to get some playing time. The rules do insist that teams play at least 2 games at the main stadium to ensure young players get accustomed to a "proper matchday experience" rather than playing in front of one man and his dog.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I've missed a few of the U-21 games lately.

Any reason as to why Luongo wasn't involved with Ipswich Spurcat? I was under the impression he got off to a promising start there, has he just come back from an injury or something?

Was Grant Hall playing too? A friend of a friend is a Brighton fan and reckons Hall is a good prospect, can't say I know much about him, only seen him play against Utd away a month or so back in which he limped off just after half time clutching his hamstring.

Prithcard indeed seems a fantastic prospect. Very excited about the lad. Technically gifted way beyond his current age would suggest.

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Ipswich have too many loan players at the club, so they can't field them all at the same time, SoS.
    I think that their signing of Nigel Reo-Coker might've pushed Luongo down the pecking order a bit too much and it might be better to recall him.

Hall didn't play: Spurs Under-21s (4-2-3-1): Miles; Fredericks, Luongo, Stewart, Barthram (Gallifuoco, 71); Mason, Parrett; Pritchard, Ceballos, Townsend; Obika. Unused subs: Vigouroux, Bentaleb, Veljkovic.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Oh right, that's a real shame. Hopefully we'll bring him back then, no use keeping him on their bench.

Shows how much notice I've taken of the youth recently, usually very up to date with it all.

Cheers PNP <ok>

14. notsosmartspur

Not sure if SC can expand but from what I heard there is a limit to loan players you can have on the pitch, they have loads and he's the one dipping out. However McCarthy is the new manager there so its how he feels about ML now.

Edit; i hadn't seen PNP's comment when I wrote this.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

You can field a maximum of 5 loan players on a team sheet and Ipswich currently have 8(!), Notso.
    What a ridiculous situation to be in. No wonder they're getting annihilated.

16. notsosmartspur

17. notsosmartspur

Its no way to run a team really is it, but I have no idea about their finances and whether the situation is forced. Like I said, McCarthy is a new broom in the place so expect a shake up. He wasn't happy getting battered 5-0 last night! I hadn't realised Holloway had left Blackpool for Palace either, missed that!

18. O.Spurcat

PNP is correct, only 5 loan players are permitted at any one time and Luongo has been missing out since the signing of Reo-Coker. It seems he made a bad mistake in one of his games and because Paul Jewell was under so much pressure, he left Luongo out. He wasn't part of tehir squad again last night at Palace.

I would imagine McCarthy will not want this situation to cotinue as Ipswich are contributing 25% of Luongo's wages and I doubt they can afford to do that until the end of the season.

Incidentally, there is a club (I believe it's Aldershot) who have had 14 loan players already this season. They currently sit bottom of league 2.

19. O.Spurcat

Since I put the latest league table on here, our position at top has been strengthened by Manchester United dropping points at home to Stoke in a 1-1 draw. Sunderland, who could also have caught us, lost one of their games in hand at home to Stoke 1-0.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'm pretty sure Watford have about 12. 90% of them Italians due to their new connection with Udinese.