1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wayne Routledge red card against QPR rescinded after another referee blunder

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Jan 2, 2015.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Wayne Routledge red card against QPR rescinded after another referee blunder
    • Wayne Routledge given red card for reacting to Karl Henry challenge
    • Swansea manager Garry Monk criticised referee Anthony Taylor
    • FA confirm Routledge red card rescinded on Friday evening
    By Pa Reporter
    Published: 21:27 GMT, 2 January 2015 | Updated: 22:50 GMT, 2 January 2015

Swansea winger Wayne Routledge has successfully appealed against the red card he was shown against QPR on New Year’s Day and will face no further punishment.
    Routledge was sent off for his reaction to a strong tackle from Karl Henry in the 86th minute of the 1-1 draw, with Henry booked for the challenge.
    The dismissal had left Routledge facing a three-match ban but that has been lifted after his appeal was upheld.
    VIDEO Scroll down to see Sportsmail's Big Match Stats for QPR vs Swansea
    please log in to view this image

Swansea winger Wayne Routledge looks shocked as he is sent off by referee Anthony Taylor
    A Football Association statement said: 'Following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing on Friday 2 January 2015, Swansea City’s Wayne Routledge has had his claim for wrongful dismissal upheld.
    'Routledge was dismissed during his side’s 1-1 draw against Queens Park Rangers on New Year’s Day for violent conduct.
    'The three-match suspension has therefore been withdrawn with immediate effect.'

Routledge reacts after Karl Henry (floor) had dived in recklessly to challenge on him
    Routledge’s red card was one of a number of decisions from referee Anthony Taylor which upset Swansea - as QPR goalkeeper Rob Green should have been sent off for handling outside his area early in the match.
    Swans boss Garry Monk described Henry’s challenge on Routledge as a 'leg-breaker' and said the officials were mistaken in believing Routledge had kicked out in response.
    'It’s a leg breaker,' Monk said.
    'I think everyone knew in the stadium apart from the official and then the double whammy of our player getting sent off for apparently kicking out.

Swansea striker Wilfried Bony consoles Routledge after he is sent off by Taylor
    'He doesn’t kick out at all. I just hope justice is done not just for us but for football in itself.
    'I’m losing a bit of faith. It’s hard for us to keep faith when we continually have decisions like this, big moments within games.
    'That sounds like me moaning, I’m not at all. I’m just telling you the facts.

Swansea manager Garry Monk (second left) was furious with the decision to show the red card
    'I hope the red card gets rescinded because that will 100 per cent be the right thing to happen.
    'We’ll be appealing for sure. My player goes from nearly having his leg broken to getting sent off, I don’t see how that can happen.'
    Despite the red card, Swansea mustered a stoppage-time leveller through Wilfried Bony, cancelling out Leroy Fer’s strike for the hosts.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2894874/Wayne-Routledge-red-card-against-QPR-rescinded-referee-blunder.html#ixzz3Ni2SQGgB
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

I have no problem with this although I think that if the big decisions hadn't (unjustly) gone our way then the FA wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

3. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would of done the same for Joey

KooPeeArr likes this.
  4. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

Or the same if they were playing Man U...

5. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder if the F.A. will have another look at the appalling tackle that started it all. It'd probably do you a favour if Henry was out of the team for a few weeks, given his lack of concentration for the equaliser.

6. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

You talk bollocks <ok>

7. queenslandrangers

queenslandrangers Well-Known Member

You can't turn round and kick a player on the ground. Straight red. No idea how he has got away with with this.

8. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

I put a post on our board recently as Konchesky had one overturned then I think Agnonlahor did the following week and now this one. If the refs didn't make these awful decisions in the first place the FA wouldn't need to correct their decisions.

Rant over

9. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

So you're back. Glad to see someone has given you the kiss of life now that the Foxes have revived. Where were you during the bad run? We missed you. Or perhaps more accurately we noticed your absence. The decision to rescind the card was correct. But don't expect the FA to do you lot a favour by removing our most consistent midfielder. We've all seen a lot worse.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  10. Quality Passing Rules

Quality Passing Rules Well-Known Member

Good spot on this fox rearing it's head out the den and the timing of it.

I actually think that even though Henry should have gone off for that tackle, I personally think that kicking out is kicking out and by the laws of the game Routledge needed to go too. I have sympathy for Routledge but ultimately he kicked out.

11. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

My take on this is firstly that in my opinion the game has gone soft. Almost every tackle seems to be a foul now.
    I realise that things had to change from how it was in the 70s when almost anything went unpunished, but we've gone too far the other way imo.
    Under today's rules Henry could have been sent off for that tackle although I don't agree with Monk that it was a "leg breaker".
    However, I simply don't understand why Routeledge has had his red card rescinded. He clearly kicked out in retaliation and that is a red card!

12. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if the FA took the view that Routledge's red ought to be rescinded on the basis that Henry's tackle was not similarly punished. Had Henry received a red for that tackle too, I doubt the FA would've overturned the other sending off as a consequence of retaliation. Funny old business, really.

13. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. At first I thought it was harsh but he quite clearly kicks him. It obviously didn't hurt but that's not the point. You can't do that these days.

14. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I agree. The incident was right in of us and I said straight away that Routledge had to go. A correct decision.

15. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Well my take on it...after being at the match and seeing the replays.
    It was a bad tackle from Henry (although I would dispute a "leg-breaker" a definite yellow, and possibly with another ref a straight red).
    But Routledge had two goes at Henry after that ...(before the ref had time to take action) ....
    a kick to the back and then a heavy "step" onto Henrys calf (one that could have been avoided)...for either action it was a red card.
    The card should not be rescinded...The ref made the right decision on that incident....the FA did not.
    All this chat about ref standards slipping...I feel anyone (except us probably) can get the FA to do anything..they are rescinding nearly everytime someone asks....that is NOT the way to do it...They should be standing behind their refs even when they make mistakes...and on this incident he did not.

Having said that...without that sending off I truly believe we would have won.....it was the the "rush of blood" to the head that took the Swans up that desperate extra gear...I also admit that we were lucky to not have Greeno sent off (Green admitted as much to the crowd behind the goal soon after it happened) that was a big miss by ref and linesman...so we were very lucky on that....But that was just one of those things....we saw it from the upper loft (perfect view...aided by the skid mark in the grass left by Green)...I can see how the perspective fooled the Ref...but cannot explain how the linesman missed it...unless from his angle (in line) he could not tell what part of Green it hit..

I do not think anyone was bought....That is not always/usually the answer, when things go against you....it is just human frailty/nature to always suggest so

So rant over from me

16. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

This incident was directly below my seat so I had a clear view of it.

It was a terrible tackle by Henry: we've all seen players be sent off for less. It certainly deserved a booking and we couldn't have complained too much had he been sent off.

Routledge's "kick" was more of a nudge with his foot: it didn't travel far and wouldn't have hurt a 2-year old. I would have been upset if one of our players had got sent off for that: it was a soft one but there was definite movement of the foot/leg so I'm really rather surprised that the FA has rescinded it. He's a lucky boy.

17. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Pretty accurate assessment in my opinion.

Routs was lucky - Beckham was also sent off for a "soft" kick against Argentina.

That said, Cahill's on Kane was far worse - and the ref (allegedly) saw that!

As for Henry, he could have gone given that it was straight after another "go" at Routs.

Anyway, water under the bridge - good luck for the rest of the season!<cheers>

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  18. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Yup Taff water under the bridge and good luck to all you Jacks.. I like Swans I like your style...and a good win today
    I didn't know you had little Tom Carroll playing for you...do you rate him??
    (personal question are you actually a bonafide Taff from Cardiff who supports Swansea..or is are you from somewhere like Merthyr

19. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

Correct decision to rescind. Routledge nudged Henry who'd just clattered him. Wrong decision to send him off.

The Ref should have given Henry a yellow, got them to shake hands and then play on.

20. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think you can refuse to overturn the red card when you've called in an independent commission and they've said to overturn it. But for the bit in bold, surely not? If in the next game a defender goes down clutching his face and the ref sends Austin off for violent conduct, you think the FA should enforce the ban even if replays show that Austin didn't do anything because they should be standing behind the refs?

As a side point though, the statement has come from the FA. When did it start being our FA and not the Welsh FA that the Welsh clubs appeal to? Or is that why it's an independent panel? It was always farcical because it seemed at times they could have had a player pull a knife on the opponent and proceed to disembowel him and the FAW would overturn the red card, but I didn't know it had changed.