1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Manchester City.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, May 15, 2017.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Watford v Manchester City.

The final game of the season sees Walter Mazzarri´s Watford host Manchester City at Vicarage Road Stadium. It is a Sunday kick off at 3pm UK time.

City have WBA (h) and Watford (a) left to play while Arsenal have Sunderland (h) and Everton (h). A gap of 3 points seperate the two teams in the race for the last Champions League qualifying spot, with City having a superior goal diference - +5 compared to the Gunners. At least this might give the game some meaning.

A loss would mean that Watford end the season with six straight losses as they limp over the finish line on 40 points. Prödl will be missing after being sent of against Chelsea in Watford´s latest away loss.

It has been a long slog this season and I for one am pleased that we are going to stay up but disappointed with some of the performances, high amounts of yellow cards, sloppyish play and Mazzarri´s comments, even for Watford´s standards. Maybe, this is to be expected around the bottom of the pile but next season is going to be tough unless some changes come into force over the summer.

I, for one, wonder and hope that this will be Walter Mazzarri´s last home game. I doubt he´ll get a good send off if it is. QSF went for less last season.

I am interested to see some of the player reactions at the final whistle, it might give a bit of insight into who is staying and going.

¡¡ENJOY THE GAME - COYH!!

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good luck to the Golden Boys! <ok>

3. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Probably the wrong thread, but I think we have done better than everyone else thinks. Reason. The 2nd season after promotion is often much harder than the first.
    Whilst it is true that there is a lot of negativity around at the mo, it's worth remembering that this season we have demolished Man U, West Ham (away!) Everton and Beat Arsenal away. As for Sunday, any decent result will do. The club is stronger, the ground is better, the squad is (slowly) improving.
    After Sunday we are all equal again. As Leicester showed last season!
    COYH

Chris 13 likes this.
  4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes.... next season will be a fresh start..

Will be good to see a good performance on Sunday....... some flair etc

5. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Might as well attack... haven't got many defenders left <whistle>

6. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Not sure how WM will play with the lack of CBs left... If we do only have Mariappa available, maybe he will try Holebas and Janmaat either side of him, with Mason and Amrabat as wing backs. 1 more yellow for Holebas and gets the record number of yellows in a season - will be a nice little record for him!

Will be interesting to see what the atmosphere will be like - would be nice to get a win and jump a few places, and a few players playing for their place in the squad next season!

Just want this season over now, and to build for next year!

7. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Somehow I think this is the only way you'll see flair(s) on Sunday...

EJ.png

8. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Talking on the radio like City have qualified for CL, but if Liverpool win, Arsenal win by 4 and we win by 2, there's a swing of 6 goals and Citeh are out!

9. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

They pretty much have but it's on Sky anyway..

10. Hornet-Fez

I can see us scoring twice against citeh but if we're within three goals of them I'll be astonished!

11. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Doubt WM will be giving out in depth pre match instructions now! ahhahahahaha

12. Bolton's Boots

Did he ever?

I suspect it will be the normal "Uscire e difendi" (said he hoping that Google Translate was accurate).

13. A1 Horn

Just thinking, does WM pick the team, and if so, does he start TD? Also, does WM parade around the pitch at the end, and if so, what reception does he get?

14. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

I would hope we would show some decorum. In a 'Sorry it didn't work out Wally but good luck in your future endeavors' kind of way.

Hornet-Fez and Mexican Hornet like this.
  15. Bolton's Boots

When were you last at The Vic? <laugh>

16. A1 Horn

Merson's prediction. What a t*t. Yet another who doesn't understand the Pozzos or their ambition. The size and stability (oh no, I sound like Theresa May!) of Stoke or West Brom is exactly what they are aiming for:

'I expect Man City to win this one and going forward, they're great. The Watford manager has been told he will be leaving at the end of the season and they have finished very poorly, but what would Hull, Middlesbrough and Sunderland give to be Watford now?

For me, Watford have done great this season. They haven't finished well but they are safe and that's all you can ask for if you're Watford. I don't see anything else for them, I don't see them having great cup runs and they just need to stay up.

I don't see them in a position like West Brom or Stoke who are solid, middle of the table teams and they will be fighting around in that bottom half at the end of the coming seasons.'

17. Hornet-Fez

Which is why he's a pundit and not a coach manager.

18. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Well Stoke aren't that far ahead of us!

Anyway the sacking hasn't really got much do with what has happened on the pitch as they might think.

19. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I have a suspicion that Liverpool won't be happy when they find out our team - what incentive does WM have to name a full-strength team? I won't be surprised if Pantilimon, Zuniga, Mason, Eleftheriou and Pereira all start. The only reason for him to name a full-strength team would be if his pay-off will be reduced if he names a weakened one.

20. Hornet-Fez

He won't want to be humiliated on his last match. He is a professional and will want to win or at least not to lose by a shed load... which is of course entirely possible whatever team he puts out given what is all stake for our opponents. I suspect a similar team to Monday with Britos, if fit, for Prödl. Like I know:emoticon-0136-giggl