1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Aug 21, 2017.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

WATFORD v BRISTOL CITY
    Vicarage Road Stadium
    Tuesday 22nd August 2017
    Kick Off : 1945 BST

Carabao Cup - Round 2

Marco Silva insists Watford won't underestimate Bristol City in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

The Hornets take on the Robins in their first cup tie of the season at Vicarage Road on Tuesday night after starting their league campaign with four points out of a possible six.
    Watford began the season with a promising 3-3 draw at home before beating Bournemouth 2-0 in their first away game of the campaign on Saturday.

Silva could decide to rest a number of key players for the game but the Portuguese insists he is not taking the Carabao Cup lightly.

First of all, I will respect Bristol City because that is my way, to respect everybody. If the players who played on Saturday don't seem in good condition then I will make the changes we need. But, I will see.

"We respect all the competitions and we play all the matches in every competition to win. This is our way.

Watford captain Troy Deeney could make his first appearance of the season after recovering from a groin operation. Meanwhile, Etienne Capoue and summer signing Will Hughes are also pushing for their first starts of the campaign.

Lee Johnson's side drew 0-0 with Millwall at the weekend in a game they struggled to get going in, and have played five times in the opening two weeks of the season to date.

"We made five changes in the first round against Plymouth and put on a fantastic display," assistant head coach Dean Holden told the club's website. "We’ve got a very good squad, there’s people vying for places, we’ve had a lot of games in a short amount of time and we’re playing Aston Villa on Friday, so that will come into our thinking.

"It’s a fantastic challenge for us and I’m sure the players who come in will relish going to a Premier League opposition, with a great stadium and really grab the shirt and try to keep it."

"We have to be right at our maximum to get a result. But we’re fully confident that we can go there with a lot of energy and impose our style on the game."

:emoticon-0100-smile ENJOY THE GAME WHEREVER YOU ARE :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Mexican Hornet likes this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Just a quickie Match Thread tonight, but we can discuss plenty. Is a EPL team a lot better than a Championship side? Can we put out a side that knows what formation we now play? Will we see many of the team who played so well Saturday? Looks as though Marco would be quite happy to have a cup run. Thoughts always welcome from anywhere. :emoticon-0100-smile

3. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

Think he will put out a relativly strong side but rest in areas we are short and play those that have something to prove.
    So Gomes, Holobas rested for sure (Mason & Pantillimon). Probably Deeney, Capoue, Hughes to play and if he is staying, Success. Kabasele to play with Prodl at back.

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good luck to the Golden Boys <ok>

5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

One thing is for certain - the team will be stronger than the norm in previous years!

And Silva will want to see those who come in impress and show what they can do - in previous years I think we have just fielded players for the sake of it to rest others.

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  6. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Sounds like City will have a lot of changes, and can see us playing many of the fringe players! We should still be strong enough and will be a good opportunity for a few players to prove to put their hands up for a starting place.

I expect we will play Deeney, but also wouldn't be too surprised if we tried 2 up front.

7. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the intro - except it was Liddpool at home & B'muff away.
    I think, for MS, it's more about all our players understanding his system so they can play in the EPL at a moments notice. I imagine he expects that if the system is working well- and the players are fitting into it, the results will come. So we could have 4-6 changes easily. I expect richarlison (still young) not to start, Gray maybe. Watson for Doucoure, Capoue to start & Hughes to feature. TD9 if he is fit. Otherwise Okaka.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Thanks for pointing that out. Shows one should read more when doing a quick copy and paste job. <yikes> It has been changed. <ok>

9. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

We are looking forward to the game tonight. One of the few benefits in being quite old is the reduced price of tickets, only £5 each. There might even be enough left in purse for a balti pie!!

It is good that Deeney does no longer feel he is an automatic choice. he can either sulk or really show the manager he intends to fight for his place. Hopefully it is the latter.

10. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Ref tonight is Tim Robinson - I don't think he has ever reffed a Watford match before but, somewhat worryingly, he issued three red & nine yellow cards in the space of four days last week.

11. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Better make sure Holebas isn't playing!

12. Bolton's Boots

Bristol City's away strip. A bit - er - colourful...

bristol.jpg

13. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Looks nice doesn't it :emoticon-0105-wink:

Heaven knows what team we'll put out as I hope we are more focused on the league and Villa on Friday rather than some pointless cup competition. I think you'll win anyway and It'll be a case of how many you score <laugh>

kchorn likes this.
  14. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Just purchased my ticket for the SEJ tonight. Did think about returning to the Rookery for the evening but changed my mind. Sportsman and Red Lion for a couple of ales (assuming they still have the exquisite Pope's Yard Ales in the Red Lion, or the black stuff it is) prior to taking my seat. No idea what the team will be, ergo the score and even less idea of the attendance! We really ought to have enough about us to win this by two or three clear goals whatever team we put out and assuming a semi-second string opposition... but I think that was said about Gillingham last season!

15. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Tom I quite like it. Any thoughts on how many will travel?

16. superhorns

Give me a wave, I'll be the handsome man with a long suffering wife ! :emoticon-0100-smile

17. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I don't think TD9 has EVER sulked. I may be wrong, but compared to most 'talisman' players, seems to me he has always behaved as an object lesson to all other professionals. And considering all the transfer talk (Leicester/Leeds) that has been swirling arounf fo 3-4 years, I think he deserves a lot of credit. Usually, the club captain is no more than the one who tries to toss the coin. In our case it seems he is a leader on and off the pitch AND outside the club.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  18. superhorns

I agree with this 100%. Having met Troy several times and witnessed his attentiveness with the fans he has been a great ambassador for the club. What I was referring to was his new found position as one of many not the first name on the sheet. I expect him to knuckle down and try to impress the boss but he also knows there are several other clubs interested in his services. I know he is building another new house, I think it is in the midlands.

19. Bolton's Boots

I wholeheartedly agree. There are fans on other WFC forums who are making the same 'sulking' claims & I just don't understand why - I've never seen any evidence of it. Tall poppy syndrome in action?

20. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Any chance of a stream?

I was speaking to a friend who is a Hull supporter and he said despite them being relegated last year he said the football they played under Silva was exciting and I think we have seen evidence of that already. He also wondered if TD would fit into Silva's set up as he is not that mobile and not suited that well to Silva's liking for wing play. I could see his point but I think TD is more versatile than is immediately apparent to the casual viewer and like Okaka he will not be bullied. TD also has a delft touch when necessary. Time would tell but it would be sad if TD found he did not fit in, although Silva has said he is part of his plans. I think TD will play tonight, if not for 90 mins, to give him a run out.
    Just think 2 wingers delivering crosses to TD and Okaka in the middle, would you want to be a defender especially with Gray, Richarlson, Chaloba, Decoure, Holebas, et all hovering to pick up the scraps!
    I am looking forward to this season, based on what I have seen already.
    Enjoy the game all.