1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread WATFORD v BRIGHTON

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Aug 10, 2018.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

WATFORD V BRIGHTON
    VICARAGE ROAD STADIUM
    Saturday 11th August 2018
    Kick Off 1500 BST

Here we go again. The first game in the 2018-9 season.
    Javi Gracia will take charge of his first full season at Watford as the Hornets welcome Brighton and Hove Albion to Vicarage Road.

The Hornets finished in a modest 14th position last time out, eight points clear of relegation after a strong start to the season saw them in the top four after the first eight games. Everton heavily courted then-boss Marco Silva for their vacant managerial post, a move that the Watford board attributed to the beginning of their downfall.

The positives from the opening part of the season soon subsided, though, as Watford won only seven more games throughout the rest of the campaign.

Brighton’s debut Premier League season surprised many. The Seagulls, alongside Huddersfield, were favourites to make an instant return to the Championship at the beginning of last season, but Chris Hughton’s side defied the odds to finish in 15th.

Shrewd recruitment last summer played a big part in their performances, and the Brighton board have continued to invest in the playing squad, spending over £50 million on new talent.

Gracia and Watford fans may have seen the end of the 4-2-3-1 shape that dictated much of last season, as the manager looks to implement both Gray and Deeney in the same team.

To accommodate both players, the Hornets will have to sacrifice the extra defensive midfielder and defend as a much tighter unit. Will Hughes and Roberto Pereyra impressed when involved last season and Gracia will hope that the duo can craft the chances for the forward pair. Ben Foster returned to Vicarage Road ahead of the campaign and will be the likely choice in goal ahead of Heurelho Gomes.

Hughton’s Brighton side may have a similar look to it in terms of shape, but there will be new personnel introduced to the system.

Attacking midfielder Jahanbakhsh arrived from Dutch side AZ Alkmaar for just under £20 million and the Iranian will be keen to make a fast start in English football. His introduction against Nantes was his first action of the summer, though, and Hughton may go with Solly March on the right wing. Left back Bernardo signed from RB Leipzig and looks set to make the position his own, which will force Gaetan Bong into a seat on the bench.

Watford struggled in front of goal last season and Abdoulaye Doucoure finished as the club’s top scorer on seven goals.

Deeney will be the first to admit his output wasn’t enough last time out and Watford’s captain will be eager to put a tough year behind him. Playing Deeney alongside Gray will give Watford a different threat up front.
    The ‘big and small’ and ‘target man and poacher’ striking combination of seasons past could make a comeback at Vicarage Road this season and Lewis Dunk and partner Shane Duffy will be the first defensive pairing to try to nullify it.

Dunk is highly regarded on the South coast and his defensive performances helped the Seagulls avoid being dragged into a relegation scrap and Hughton will use Dunk’s height to counter-act the aerial threat of Deeney.

:emoticon-0100-smile Football is a simple game: Enjoy it. :emoticon-0100-smile

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Very good luck to the Golden Boys <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

indeed, here we go again...though i'm feeling even less confident this season! I'm hoping that tomorrow we can start well and lift everyone's worries that hang over from the transfer window. So, turning back to my weirdly positive self, i'm going for a 3-1 home win! Will be fun to see some new faces and see if Deeney is actually going to live up to all the talk he's been giving over the last couple of days.

canary-dave and andytoprankin like this.
  4. Looking forward to it - manic week at work, 3PM kick off, weather's cooled down a bit so what's not to like. I am rubbish at predictions so will refrain from doing so. COYHs!

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Cheers OFH.

If anyone can correctly predict our line up, I'd be very impressed.

I am backing Deeney to be better this season. Much better.

I've got to work tomorrow, so will miss the game. FFS.

¡¡¡COYH COYH COYH!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Might be about right!!!

7. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Lawro thinks we will win ..

:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0101-sadsm

8. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Worse than that, he thinks we'll stay up! :emoticon-0107-sweat:emoticon-0107-sweat

9. I really hope he says something inappropriate enough to get sacked as soon as possible. This clown is going to get us relegated <steam>

10. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Only missed one home league game last season, the first one. This season, again will be missing today as sunning myself with the family in Menorca. Hopefully today will be the only one I miss this season too. Just got a feeling about 1-1 today. Hopefully a win but I think it may be a draw. Will be cheering from afar. COYH!

11. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Whose turn is it to put Knockaert into the stands? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

andytoprankin and Deleted....... like this.
  12. <laugh>

13. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Would happily take a 1-1 draw this morning with the midfield issues but hoping as the match gets under way the boys will lift my expectations.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A draw against Brighton would leave both clubs in no-mans land. At one time tables only used to be published after two or three games, but today an updated one is there with only one match played. It makes little sense, but starts to ramp up the pressure with the fans if they see they are in the lower half of the table.

15. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Murray went off injured in their last pre-season game, so it may be Hemed instead.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The speculation about our line up is over. Doucuré is fit enough to start, and yes we are playing Deeney along with Gray.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The commentary on the official site is up and working. <ok>

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator