1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Was Hughes really so clueless? - Or is it just us?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by danishqp, Feb 24, 2014.

1. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

Have watched a few of the Stoke games recently and must say that they're not that bad to watch. They're doing OK in the League and it got me thinking if this Stoke team was any better than our team of last year. Now, I was one of the early ones shouting for Hughes to go and to be frank, cannot believe that we've turned Attacking Arry the Man's Man Motivator into Defensive, Clueless, Boring Arry who couldn't motivate Frustrated Frankie the desperate Fruitcake that hasn't got lucky in 3 years to talk to stunningly beautiful Susie who's just been kicked out of rehab for failing miserably to conquer her sex addiction!!!!

Just look at the sides, they are not that different and believe me, Stoke are staying up no problem.

Asmir Begovic Julio Cesar
    Eric Pieters Jose Bosingwa
    Ryan Shawcross Ryan Nelsen
    Robert Huth Clint Hill (Onouha)
    Ryan Shotton Armand Traore
    Charlie Adam Granero
    Steven Nzonzi Mbia
    Ousama Assaidi Adel
    Glen Whelan Alejandro
    Jonathan Walters Junior Hoillett(Mackie)
    Crouch Zamora

Could it be us? Do we need an exorcism? Was he clueless? WTF is going on? Look at those 2 teams - you explain it to me, because I no longer have a clue. And I mean it - they're playing better than under Pulis.

2. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Despite all his flaws he managed to inspire us to rack up five home wins on the trot that season to keep us up and despite everything we almost beat Man City in our final game - unfortunately his "never again will the club be in this position" comment rang hollow the following season despite his attempt to further strengthen the squad. That opening day home defeat against Swansea was crushing.

3. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

Hughes was clueless, he just wasnt given free reign to drive them into the ground like he was here.
    Same goes for Redknapp. He will probably inherit a good squad elsewhere and look a decent manager because its all someone else's good work.

I'd pick every one of stokes players against ours except for taarabt, hoilett and Faurlin.
    Look what pulis has done to palace and they still have gabbidon and Delaney as their first choice CB's. Hughes still has public team, who has hughes bought?

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Are you calling me clueless Danish? Bloody accurate assessment from over the North Sea, I haven't got the faintest idea what's going on either.

I don't think Hughes deserves the bile he gets on here sometimes, but there's no denying he was given the keys to the sweet shop and gorged until he made himself sick. He was never QPR, but then again neither is Harold.

5. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

"they are doing ok" .......err is that the same Stoke that are currently just one win away from the relegation zone with two teams below them each with games in hand? Hughes well deserves all the venomous comments he receives on here. Totally clueless for us and apparently rather close to the agents involved in dealing us up some very expensive crocks. Staggered the man found PL employment after his performance with us.

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I don't know Danish - I must confess to not watching Stoke very much! But Hughes did an appalling job with us in his 2nd season, or to be more exact when he started bringing in new players the summer before it, after keeping us up just the season before. Maybe he learnt from some of his mistakes and is doing a better job now.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

..........................Cesar.........................
    Bosingwa.....Nelsen......Onuoha.......Fabio
    .....Faurlin......Granero/Diakite/Mbia.....
    Barton..........Taarabt..........[SWP]
    ...................Cisse.............................

All players available at the beginning of last season. If they all played to consistently 90% of their potential only weak spot looks left wing. Oh, and from January we had Samba, Remy and Townsend too. I know Barton was loaned out, but that was our decision, still on our books (and right mid is his best position). I'm sure I've missed a few too.

With these players both Hughes and Redknapp should still be hiding from public view (as should many of the players) for managing to get us relegated.

8. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

The problem for Spunky at QPR was that he was given the keys to the sweetshop and promptly filled his face until we were all sick.

It seems that most successful teams evolve over time and only on a few occasions does revolution do the trick.

9. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

Never Stan, never, the Whisky belt is calling when you've over.

10. DT Footspa

DT Footspa Well-Known Member

Hughes IMO was on his way to getting it fixed IMO... certainly not clueless and time will tell I am right. He is a solid manager with a lot more idea than Harold has

Results of course let him down but he was building a great side IMO... I had 100% faith they would have gelled ... How he lost the fans ... he has a poor PR manner

Time will show everyone that Harold maybe the one who is clueless ... I would have stuck with Hughes to get it right and built on albeit a dreadful start.

I believe that we would of stayed up and I also believe that Harold more or less wrecked it just to get his way.

I ask where are we now?

11. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

The point is that his job was to deal with what he had. His job was to deal with the dressing room, confidence issues and discipline, as well as the tactics and game to game management. He failed on all fronts last season.

Furthermore, how long have Stoke been in the Premier League this time? For yonks. Their players have much more Premier League experience. They had better discipline and were more disciplined BEFORE Hughes joined them.

12. KPDHoopster

KPDHoopster Well-Known Member

Agree, big difference between building a team, and being given a decent team to manage.

There is a limit how many additions, you can bring into a squad, and keep the morale and team ethic going.

Hughes could not build team ethic/morale.

Pulis working wonders at Palace, just shows Hughes is benefiting from his work.

13. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Very much this!

14. rangercol

Easy to say that Hughes would have got it right.....we'll never know now will we? However, he was totally clueless during our 2nd season in the Premier League..every bit as clueless as Harry is now!

15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Getting rid of Hughes was the right thing to do, but he had half a season of a rescue mission and the 12 games. Redknapp is much worse in my opinion, had 23 games, Samba, Remy and Townsend and gave up in February.

16. rangercol

I'm not disagreeing mate,

17. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

Yes he was clueless, he was given support to bring in the players & form the team he wanted & failed. The team was never balanced areas where needed to strengthen weren't yet overloaded in other positions etc.

Just take a look at the players he bought in & say how many have been successful?

18. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Was Hughes really so clueless? - YES !

I wish everything else in life was that simple and easy as your question.

19. Queenslander!!

Queenslander!! Well-Known Member

I was thinking very much the same thing <ok>

20. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

This post makes me want to weep! How on earth did we get relegated with that team?!