1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wales - World Cup Campaign

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

2. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

CAN'T. EFFING. WAIT.

3. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Anyone watch the Wales game? Probably can't take too much from it but a much better second half and luckily the score line wasn't embarrassing! Belgium could easily have had five or more the first half. It was like a tiger toying with a three legged mouse at times.

4. Taffvalerowdy

Not a great performance but one that demonstrated the resilience that has become a trademark of the squad under Page.

Victory over Poland on Sunday will retain their existing Nations League status - a loss or a draw will mean relegation.

That’s the last match before the World Cup - so hopefully a win, without injuries, will be a good send off to Qatar. <ok>

5. daimungeezer

Yes, that was one positive but only from the second half. We could have been buried by half time realistically. The defending for the two goals was shocking. I also found it odd that the ref (eventually) got the penalty decision right but then awarded a goal kick :huh:

Like you say, hopefully a win over Poland to send us off in good shape <cheers>

6. Taffvalerowdy

7. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

When I looked at the respective squads, I thought we would be in for a right mauling and the first half did nothing to allay that fear. We were seriously depleted but those who stepped in rode their luck in the first half but tightened up in the second. In the end, it was Belgium praying for the final whistle.
    I was actually really proud of our guys and Rob Page continues to astound me.
    Now to polish off the Poles... hopefully!

8. daimungeezer

I think we're capable of getting out of the group and then , who knows, it's knockout football. Wouldn't it be great to beat our neighbours in the process <whistle>

The problem we have is 2016! Not sure we can ever do that again but you have to be in it to win it and hopefully this first World Cup experience will be one to savour as well.

Edit: first World Cup for most of us!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  9. daimungeezer

Did nobody watch the game last night? Who said cheats never prosper?

I am fuming. Quite possibly the worst display of play acting I've ever seen. Absolutely disgusting display of cheating from Poland. Shame to see Connor do it (once) but that was out of sheer frustration.

The ref was a clown. Dan James "clothes lined" and not even a foul? Incredible.

This is why I don't respect modern football and barely watch anything apart from Wales and the Swans these days.

10. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Spot on sir.
    I can't remember ever seeing such a cynical display from a so called football team. They'd obviously done their homework on the ref and took histrionics to a whole new level.
    Despite our heavily depleted squad, we were more than equal to the Poles and the Poles knew it, hence the theatricals.
    Says it all that those sorts of "tactics" are seemingly "just part of the game".
    Our boys shouldn't be down hearted though and with many first choices hopefully returning, we can go to Qatar in good spirits.

11. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

The ref was a clown?

That is a disrespect to clowns. We see some absolute ar$es in the Championship but they look good compared to him. Well except Simon Hooper maybe.

Was there a sniper with a silenced rifle in the crowd? Polish players went down like sacks of sh1te if someone breathed on them. Probably the most cynical display of gamesmanship I have ever seen and I watched a Warnock side for 3 seasons. <yikes> It was as if the Poles knew they could more or less do what they want as far as the ref was concerned.

I can only hope we will see better standards in Qatar, at least for the group games. Not holding my breath though.

12. daimungeezer

I think you're right, that "result" will have no impact on the WC campaign. They'll realise they've been stitched up last night and it'll be long forgotten by WC kick off time.

Unfortunately par for the course these days. At least we can rely on VAR <laugh>

No matter, the boys will be fired up, as will we all <cheers> and I'm actually optimistic of at least getting out of the group after seeing the last couple of performances.

13. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

My wife had to tell me to calm down. I was screaming at the TV with regards to the ref falling for every single dive the Poles took. His performance as a ref was only second worst ever to that ref we had against Sunderland a few years ago. It got to the point where it couldn't be put down to a bad day and I was actually questioning whether there was some form of corruption at play.

14. daimungeezer

I sympathise <laugh> I was going ballistic but the Wife wasn't here to calm me down and I nearly turned off at one point in frustration!

15. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

A mate if mine phoned me this morning. He was telling me that it was him calming his wife down. The interesting bit is that she's not particularly interested in football!

16. BluefromBridgend

I was there. I couldn't turn me off. <whistle>

17. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I used to have that problem. Now I just take a mirror everywhere with me. Instant turn off.

18. BluefromBridgend

Such good advice Clingo. <ok>

Taffvalerowdy, clingo and swantastic like this.
  19. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Ref was either bent, thick as pig **** or a coward! All 3 most likely !

20. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Didn't think he was that good.