1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wales v Austria

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by PGFWhite, Sep 1, 2017.

1. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Wales v Austria
    World Cup Qualifying Match – Group D
    Saturday 2nd September 2017 – Kick Off 7.45pm
    Venue: LEGOLAND

A huge match for Wales with nothing less than points required in order to keep alive our faint hopes of reaching the Finals in Russia 2018

With Georgia playing Republic of Ireland and Serbia playing Moldova at 5pm, Wales will be hoping that the Republic and Serbia slip up as we reach the business end of the competition.

From the BBC Website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41058486

“TEAM NEWS
    Wales have no fresh injury concerns for Saturday's vital World Cup qualifier against Austria, but midfielders Aaron Ramsey and Joe Ledley might struggle to play the full 90 minutes. Ramsey has returned to training after a calf knock, while Ledley has not played yet this season as he is unattached.

Wales are without Stoke midfielder Joe Allen and Aston Villa left-back Neil Taylor because of suspensions.
    Austria's ex-Cardiff forward Guido Burgstaller is out with a bruised foot. Stefan Hierlander, of SK Storm Graz, has been called up as the replacement for 11 times capped Burgstaller.

MATCH PREVIEW
    There will be little room for error when third-placed Wales take on an Austrian side who are fourth, but only trail Chris Coleman's men on goal difference. Both teams are four points behind Group D's joint leaders Serbia and the Republic of Ireland with four games left.

Only the nine group winners qualify automatically for next year's World Cup in Russia, while the eight best group runners-up will enter the play-offs. C

oleman has previously said Wales need to win their remaining four fixtures to have any hope of topping the group, and Austria will be similarly desperate for victory at Cardiff City Stadium. "I don't think either team is going into the game looking for a draw," Coleman said. "Both teams are capable of scoring goals with good, exciting players. I think it will be open and a great game. "A draw doesn't do either of us any good so you would imagine something will have to give. "This was always going to be a tight group, the teams are very similar and four teams are very strong." I feel it will go right to the wire."

Wales have not lost a competitive home game since 2013, when they were beaten by Serbia. 'We don't have to be afraid of anyone' - Coleman

After Austria on Saturday, they then visit Moldova on Tuesday before a double-header in October sees them end the campaign with a trip to Georgia and a home game against the Republic of Ireland. Coleman believes Wales are capable of winning all four. "Yes, that's no disrespect to Austria, Moldova, Georgia and the Republic of Ireland in the remaining games," he added."It's a statement, but I'll say it - it could be Brazil, Spain, Germany. I have that much confidence in our players and in our team, especially here in this stadium when it's full. "If we get it right then there's nobody we need to fear. That's a definite. We don't have to be afraid of anyone. "But we're only looking at one game - we've always done that and one game is always winnable, no matter who it is against. No different tomorrow night."

MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head

Wales have won two of their previous nine meetings with Austria, drawing two and losing five.
    Chris Coleman scored on his debut for Wales in a 1-1 draw against Austria in Vienna in 1992.
    The last time Wales played Austria at home, a friendly at Swansea's Liberty Stadium in 2013, Coleman's side won 2-1.

Wales
    Wales have not lost a competitive home game since 2013, when they were beaten 3-0 by Serbia.

Wales' draw in Serbia in June was their fifth in succession - the first time that has happened in their history.

Austria

Marc Janko is the leading scorer in Austria's squad with 28 international goals in 63 games.

Austria are unbeaten in four games, with their last defeat coming at home against the Republic of Ireland last November.

MOST RECENT MEETING
    Austria 2-2 Wales (6 October, 2016)
    Wales twice took the lead in Vienna - thanks to Joe Allen's swerving long-range strike and Kevin Wimmer's own goal - but they were pegged back by a brace from Marko Arnautovic.

2. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

going to be close 1-0 to Wales, Bale free kick

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Must win tomorrow. A nervy 2-1 win.

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  4. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Couldn't be less excited about a game, Wales have zero chance of qualification, I cant remember the last time I watched a good Welsh performance. Sorry that's a lie, it was against Belgium in the Euros and have been bang average and totally boring and predictable to watch ever since and I think other countries have worked out Coleman and he is clueless to change the way we play. They may well win this one but will be nowhere near qualification.

5. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Losing Joe from the midfield is a bummer, but on the upside Taylor out is a big plus!......... <laugh>

trundles left foot likes this.
  6. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I forgot Joe isn't available.

0-0.

7. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Must win now, probably have to win all remaining games to guarantee qualification. I think we are capable of that, but need the players to all be on top form to achieve it.
    Any sort of win tonight will be acceptable.

8. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Do you honestly believe we can win all remaining games when we have only won 1 in 6 up to know and will start losing players through suspension. Going to be a big struggle to win 2 of them.

9. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

4 terribly boring 1-0s will do me.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  10. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Why would people pay good money to watch such dross ?

11. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

International qualifiers are all about 1 thing. Qualifying for the major tournament. I want to see Wales compete on the world stage as many times as possible, a small country like us need to support the team and make our home fixtures as tough as possible.

Doesn't bother me how we get the results.

swanseaandproud and Stereo like this.
  12. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

They pay to watch the Swans. Dross is all we've seen this season

13. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Well a lot of fans watched the dross at the liberty for the last 3 seasons....If they can handle that they can watch anything...<laugh>

14. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Damn right I believe, just like I did at the Euros.

A win tonight puts us 2 point behind the Irish and we still have to play them at home. We are definitely in with a chance of at least 2nd in the group and a play-off place.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  15. swanseaandproud

We may be a 3rd division outfit in international terms but it would be great to play in the WC to see how far we can go. We surprised everyone in the Euros and it gave Wales Communities a huge boost. We got no chance of winning the thing and unlikely to get out of the group stage but it gives us an interest instead of watching England all the time......We are in with a chance and can win our remaining games Why not ? And now the WC are going to increase the amount of teams able to take part then there is a very good chance that we could qualify through the back door...2 - 1 win (I hope)

16. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Great start. Need to keep up this intensity.

17. swanseaandproud

Playing well but a few mistakes by No7

18. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Very good start. We look hungry.

19. swanseaandproud

Give them some welsh cakes at HT <laugh>

20. swanseaandproud

Bad challenge there.