1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Waghorn

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by blackcatsteve, Aug 23, 2011.

1. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

There is a rumour going around on the Southampton board that Waghorn maybe going to them for 1.5 million, it sounds like a load of tosh, but it did get me thinking, would any of us have him back (plenty of Jones back posts so why not a Waghorn one).

For me he didnt really do enough for us, and was good for Leicester when he went on loan, but once he went, i never really followed him, it did look like under Pearson he was great, Sven came in and dropped him for others, so maybe not all his fault.

But with us needing a striker (yes i know a defoe/15-20 goal a season we really want, but if we cant get one) would you like to see him back?

2. newtonlee2

newtonlee2 Member

Hes rubbish man

3. Disco

Disco Guest

16 goals in 73 at Leicester hardly screams quality to me. Think Wickham and Ji are better prospects.

4. blackcatsteve

I never said he wasnt, but thanks for your input.

@ Disco i am not saying he is any good, but he had 11 starts, and 19 coming on from sub last season, only scored 4 goals, but if all those subs were with 1-5 minutes to go, he cant really do much.

5. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

nah dont really think he has more to offer then wickham or ji, i thought he was gona be great but unfortunatly it never really happened for him!!

6. Disco

Disco Guest

Aye mate I know you're not saying he's a class act or anything.

I just didn't rate him that highly before he left, thought he worked hard for the shirt which was good to see though. I liked him as a player but not at our level, think he could end up a very adequate championship striker.

In my eyes it was a terrific little bit of business to sell him for three million. The first notable fee we've received since our current academy structure was put into place I believe.

7. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

not for me <bubbly>

8. Moorsleymountainman

Moorsleymountainman Active Member

Quite liked Waggy. Not sure how many starts for Leicester in those stats. But just like Phillips and more so McCartney. Never go back. It rarely works second time around.

9. magic carpet rider

magic carpet rider New Member

It's ironic about Waghorn, if he'd not left he'd have got a load of games in the Premier League last season due to our injury crisis. As it is, he struggles to even get on the bench for Leicester currently. Remember he was in a similar position to Colback at the start of last season - how very different his career could have been.

Not saying we should ever think about getting him back, but maybe we sold him too early.

On the subject of transfer fees for academy graduates, what about Leadbitter? Wouldn't he have been the 1st?

10. blackcatsteve

last 2 years for Waghorn. (in the league)

39 starts
    36 sub
    16 goals
    95 shots
    35 shots on target

11. Disco

Disco Guest

Erm good question actually MCR! £2.5m for Ledbitter but did he not come through before all of the investment was put in? When was it poured in?