1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Vote of no confidence in the government

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sidthemackem, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Whatever your political inclinations, it is hard to envisage a more ridiculous state of affairs than having government trying to facilitate a "no-deal" Brexit by increasing ferry traffic to the continent with the award of a contract to a company with no ferries to operate out of a port that can't currently take ferries. All this whilst faced with the prospect of a Corbyn government, which would put an IRA sympathiser in Number 10, a marxist in Number 11 and a Diane Abbott in the Home Office. For the first time I honestly don't know what to make of all this, other than to say the next election should have a "none of the above" box on the ballot paper...

2. FTM Dave

FTM Dave Well-Known Member

You fail to mention that May is already in government with loyalist terrorist sympathisers, so that bit is checked :emoticon-0132-envy:

Brian Storm likes this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

No bigger terrorist sympathiser than May who's husband makes millions from manufacturing weapons used for genocide.

People often forget this when having a dig at Cobyrn and twisting his peacekeeping efforts.

When you're a peace keeper talking and building relationships with both sides come with the job. Are the UN terrorist sympathises too? Many many of their staff will attend formal and informal events with bad people in the name of building peace.

But aye, May gets fat and wealthy married to a monster who makes his money through mass murder but big bad Jeremy wanting peace in northern Ireland is scum of the earth. I'm not a Corbyn fan and wish Labour had a different leader but come on. The difference is night and day

Right wing rags have so many people hook line and sinker.

Can't see my signature but pretty sure I some it up there.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

4. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

Teflon Tess has brought this on herself this issue was too big and important to be limited to one fractured party. There should of been a cross party collection of discusions/negotiators from the start (not now that she is desperate) because lets face it they could not of made more of a mess than this shower of s**te.

5. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

This is a genuine question as I don't know the answer and not party centric on either side - has Labour actually stated precisely what their Brexit deal would be?
    I've heard loads of politico's saying that May's deal is rubbish but I've not heard any coming forward with a credible alternative - have I missed something?

Makemstine Roger and MrRAWhite like this.
  6. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

No, you have missed nothing.

But are you looking for honesty and straightforward statements from politicians?
    If so you being are remarkably naïve.

It's not the job (or so it seems), of The Loyal Opposition to come up with alternative policies.
    It's enough for them to point out the flaws in Government policies.
    Apart from all else this is the easiest approach and carries with it neither blame nor responsibility.
    ALL Oppositions do this.

All we have heard from Mr C is that he would negotiate a better deal with Europe.
    The fact that 'Europe' has denied that any better deal could be available has been ignored.

It's ironic, but had May not called the last General Election, where she expected to increase her majority, it's quite possible that she would be across the finishing line by now.

However we do have an answer to that old question, 'are MP's elected to carry out the wishes of their constituents OR as representatives to exercise their own judgements'.
    Which makes me wonder why we had our referendum in the first place.

Sadly this all looks like it will go on for a while yet.

7. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I thought so - I've long since stopped believing that most politicos are there to represent the people. This shambles has brought this in to sharp focus but unfortunately the present system has no real way of making them all accountable for their actions.

8. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

But the terms in which you describe Philip May are equally as biased and just as much a distortion of the truth as the views of Corbyn expressed in the 'right-wing rags' which you castigate.

This is the problem with this whole thing and the current British political landscape- there is no balance and the climate is becoming increasingly divisive.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Only when we know what the 'deal' would be there should be another referendum IMO.

We had one without knowing the consequences. People were lied to an misinformed completely.

clockstander likes this.
  10. Brian Storm

Maybe they're there to protect us? Biggest loss on a vote ever, massive chunk of her own party voting against her deal. It could be the simple case of her deal was going to put us all in the **** big time.

Maybe we're better off with hard Brexit or another referendum the deal she negotiated for us.

Maybe May has ****ed up like every thing else she's done since she stepped in and we're actually being protected from the biggest political and economical desaster on our history?

clockstander likes this.

11. Brian Storm

How, Philip May sells and manufactures weapons designed to kill for his own private wealth. That's what his company does. Coyburn has worked as a peace keeper for massive spells in his life and was involved in the good Friday agreement which entails mixing and liaising with the IRA in order to bring ceasefire to the streets of northern ireland. Correct me where I'm wrong?

clockstander likes this.
  12. The Norton Cat

Philip May is an investment banker and the company that he works for owns 10% of Lockheed Martin (they also own, for example, larger shares in medical companies, and a variety of other organisations). To say that he sells and manufactures weapons for his own private wealth is an equally gross exaggeration of the truth as it is to say that Corbyn is a Hamas/Hezbollah sympathizer just because he happened to be present in Tunisia at the same time as a memorial for those involved in the events in Munich in 1972 was taking place (although lets be fair, Corbyn has reportedly in the past described himself as a 'friend' of those organisations).

13. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Lets be right here, Corbyn has been waiting until this vote knowing full well she was never going to win then immediately launched this vote of no confidence to try and force a General Election.
    Corbyn like all politicians had been looking after number one, is trying to seize his chance to become Prime Minister (God forbid) and has done nothing throughout this whole debate which would benefit the country instead of himself.
    I wouldn't pay any of them in washers and am seriously considering not voting again at any forthcoming elections as it's a complete waste of time.

14. The Norton Cat

The ridiculous thing is May, a remainer, has tried to negotiate a deal that will be palatable to both the remainers and the leavers (and arguably failed) but Corbyn, a renowned Eurosceptic, will (according to Labour's manifesto) try and negotiate a deal that will essentially serve only to appease the remainers. If May's deal can't get through parliament then how can any deal of that sort get through? Its not a motion of No Confidence in the government that should be tabled. It should be a motion of No Confidence in the entire of Westminster.

15. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

If only the population could have that vote. Then we'd see what a record defeat looked like !

16. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

There is one way and that is not to vote for them at the next, (possible imminent), election. Use the Election as a 'Peoples Vote' ie another referendum.

In effect, if you are PRO Brexit, vote tory.
    If you are a Remainer, vote Labour.

Sadly this would be a very hard thing for those Labour Supporters in Sunderland who voted to leave.
    The shadow of Maggie still looms large here.
    No doubt in some Tory seats the reverse would be true.

I'd still like to see it tried just to teach these arrogant gobshites that they are servants not masters.

17. The Norton Cat

Hang on, are you saying that the Conservatives are the party of Brexit and Labour are the party of Remain? Because that's certainly not the case.

18. Brian Storm

10% is a massive stake in a company of that size of course he's getting wealthy off it <laugh>

Never said he didn't have business interest elsewhere, but it's irrelevant to my point.

19. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

No and no

20. The Norton Cat

It's not irrelevant to anything. He works for an investment bank that owns shares in a missile producing company. Of course some of what he is paid comes from revenues from Lockheed Martin. But to state that he 'sells and manufactures' weapons is inaccurate just as it would be inaccurate to state that, because his company invests in medical companies, he makes cures for people.

You complain that right-wing media inaccurately portrays Jeremy Corbyn but you're displaying an equal bias in your depiction of Philip May.