1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Villa ' preview '

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Going to waltz through this quickly, again -

Thoughts =
    * Crowd somewhat up due to minus Mick / Under 19s for £1 ( extended to away, well done town ) Villa bringing 2000 with probably a good 150 odd in home areas = 19,000. A success for us.
    * Bound to be a random debut / first five appearance for someone. Perhaps Cotter + Folami?
    * More entertaining game than we're used to - few more onside with this and perhaps a few ' ah go on I'll get a season ticket ' decisions made.
    * Narrow defeat, perhaps same score as at Forest. Not that it really matters bar our mini battle with Norwich over who can do whatever - they can say all they want re us, they've been an absolute shower this season....
    * One game nearer to it all ending :)

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Personally I'm hoping we ditch the 5-3-2 and go for this one a bit. Nothing to lose, so let's give Folami and Morris a chance in a more attacking formation. Hopefully Cotter plays at right wing back, I think he's well worth persisting with for the next couple of games to gauge his ability a bit. I can't see us winning this one, Villa have two wins on the bounce and are still in the battle for automatic promotion.

A narrow 3-2 loss.

3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Think we'll somehow go and win this. Not sure why, but think it'll be one of those anomalies. 2-1

Not sure how we'll line up, but hopefully not with Hyam and Skuse together in the middle, but I'd like to see Carayol and Ward given a run out wide in order to play with a bit of pace and width, which would be different to what we've seen in a while.

I get the impression that Klug will give some of the untested youngsters a game or two before the end of the season so might see Folami start this week and then Drinan the following week. Maybe even Chris Smith even we're going to stick with a back 3

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Think I'll go for a 3-1 loss

5. Fat Boy Slim

Fat Boy Slim Member

6. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

An exciting free flowing game, fluid passing and Town take leave of their senses - 2-1 win!

7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

WHAT A LOAD OF ****E!

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

More of the same from the team in that first half.
    I didn't really expect Klug to be able to change too much with his time in charge anyway so I'm not going to hate on the performance. A new style is desperately needed for next season though.

9. Spanish

Yeah but skuse and hyam together....nooooooo
    Poor team selection imo!

10. Spanish

Massive changes needed and imo, 90% of that lot out there today .......aint nowhere near good enough!

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, not a great pairing but he doesn't have many choices if he's trying to avoid using the loanees which let's face it, is pretty pointless if they won't be here next season.

12. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Grant Ward sending off killed the game.

13. Spanish

The game was already dead! Absolute dire football with clueless players!

14. Spanish

Mick and Marcus have absolutely destroyed our football club, i knew things were bad but......not that bad!

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  15. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Come back Mick all is forgiven(joke).
    Bearing in mind Villa are pushing for promotion and we have nothing to play for I didn't think the first half was too bad.Like to see it again but my initial reaction was the ref screwed up with the sending off,conned by Taylor and the Villa players' reactions (when has Ward ever gone into a tackle with real intent?!)Second half it was all over with some abysmal defending,doubt either Knudsen or Carter Vickers will be featuring at centre half for us next season.
    Also great support from the crowd today,even when we’re getting a hiding in the second half.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  16. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Sending off was harsh, too man to individual mistakes, and unfortunately the wrong tactics and formation from the outset. Since Mick's departure was announced, performance levels have dropped markedly and you've got to wonder who wants to be here next season. Clearly needs to be a squad overhaul next season and a more expansive and dynamic tactical approach required.

Nice weather and good crowd, but came away from that match thinking that we were clearly put in our place by a Villa side that were not great, but efficiently clinical. Goes to underline how much work is required to turn this team around and, on first impressions, just how good a job Mick was doing based on results.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  17. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

From what the highlights offer.

Sloppy if a little unlucky goal to give away but looked like we were competing.

Harsh yet understandable sending off, Villa made most of it but high boot always gives ref a decision to make.

Players clearly unused to playing football. Particularly evident in 3rd goal.

2 games to go...

Westlake33 likes this.
  18. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Good summary Mike - sadly Ward gave the ref a decision to make. Naive is the nicest way to put it.

That third goal I guess in a nutshell is why your Mick's / Pulis etc don't try to play out - avoids that.

Roll on end of the season.

If we want to play footy - which is what we want you're bang right Spanish - don't remotely have the players to be able to try at present.

ALSO agree re Skuse + Hyam. Hyam for me nowhere near good enough.

Was fantastic after a cycle ride to check THAT as a scoreline.........

19. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I hope the Town players all kicked Wards arse in the dressing room, I suppose a straight red means his season is over nice and early.

Westlake33 likes this.
  20. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Not seen too much criticism of Skuse, but for my money he is pretty much completely at fault for that one. Didn't want the ball, even though he had enough time and space, he just took a step back and then just watched someone steal it off him before ambling back.

Villa are a decent side, but we made Grabban look like Ronaldo. There was no way he should have out-muscled Spence for the first goal then be given time and space to get his shot off. As for the 2nd Knudsen was rolled like a naiive youth player making his debut. Absolutely no way he should have been able to make that much space for himself and that is exactly the sort of defending Mick would have crucified players for in the past (though not sure he would have publicly criticized Jonas)