1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

VG: Football is more boring under JM

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, Dec 12, 2017.

1. CFC: Champs £launderx17

2. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I don't like Mourinho's negative approach but you couldn't beat Van Gaal football for a good nap.

The board should reconsider their lazy method of throwing money at CV managers and go for someone who actually fits the club's culture.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. CFC: Champs £launderx17

LVG is quite arrogant and dismissive of United fans

4. Wahl Icht..

Wahl Icht.. New Member

Van Gaal is such a fool. Mourinho has taken Man Utd up a couple of levels, they're closer now to how good they were under Ferguson than they ever were under Moyes or Van Gaal

5. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Not difficult when we've spent over 300 million the last 2 seasons. And the teams hes jumped ahead of in the table this season, like Spurs and Arsenal have barely spent a penny. Even Liverpool and Chelsea haven't spent what Mourinho has had to spend.

Not saying LVG was doing a great job either, but taking the money into account, so far I think Mourinho is doing just as poor a job, if not worse.

We should be in the sort of position as a team that Pep has City in, a team that is capable of making a serious challenge for both the PL and CL, but we are knowhere near that level.

We aren't even that good at parking the bus, which was supposed to be Mourinho's speciality.

You can kind of tolerate the ****e football if we're getting results as Chelsea did under him, but we find ourselves 11 points off in early December, and we finished 7th last year.

cytrax likes this.
  6. Wahl Icht..

Wahl Icht.. New Member

Van Gaal spent pleeeenty of money on the likes of Di Maria, Depay, Schneiderlin, so don't tell me that Mourinho is only where he is because of the money he's spent. Mourinho and van Gaal spent money - Mourinho has spent his well generally, van Gaal did not. To say that Mourinho is doing a worse job than van Gaal is frankly laughable.

I also find it amusing that you're complaining when you compare yourself with City, but are ignoring the fact that being in second place as you are now, you have overtaken Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham. Why not focus on those positives other than the one small negative. Man City are freakishly good this year. 16 games, 15 wins, it's not normal. Being second to them is no shame whatsoever.

Christiansmith likes this.
  7. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Terrible for a United fan to say this but City is setting the standard this season. And if United want to be successful and play good football that is the task that needs to be done. City did not achieve all this without money but the money is only one essential ingredient. You need a good manager and the players to play the system that most suits the club for success. Pep is not the only good manager and sooner or later United will get all the ingredients together.

8. King Shergar

Net spend we have probably spent more than Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool combined since Mourinho has been in charge, And we are supposed to look at it as some sort of big achievement to now be above them. I'm sure had LVG had another couple more seasons of the cash, he too would have us in a similar position. Our wage bill is probably higher than 3 of those clubs combined too, and is the highest outright in the whole PL, and the 4th highest in Europe.

For the money we are splashing out each window we are massively under achieving. We should be one of the best sides in Europe, but sadly we are knowhere near that. We don't have good enough players to do anything other than play negatively against any of the top 10 sides in Europe. That is the sad truth of it all.

It's a little like driving a Ford, and going out with 200k for a new car and coming back with a Mercedes, yeah it's an improvement on the Ford, but it's not the Ferrari you've paid for. That is the sort of job Mourinho is doing.

9. Wahl Icht..

Wahl Icht.. New Member

Van Gaal would never have had Man Utd in this position, that's the reason he was fired. He couldn't take Man Utd any further than just making top 4, he was never going to turn them into title challengers. Don't forget he got united back into the top 4 in his first season, then wasted a bunch of money and took them backwards the following season.

Not sure how Man Utd are a Mercedes and not a ferarri either tbh loool. Any other season and you'd either be top or a few points off top with the record you have so far. It's only city's freakishly strong season which has your results so far seeming worse than they actually are. I think it just has to be accepted this season that City are a special team and if you finish above everyone else, then that's really all you can ask for!

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

This is becoming a bit of a cliche really.

Yes, City are very good and look to be on the verge of an extraordinary season but what we could ask for is to NOT be 11 points behind going into Christmas and to NOT go to places like Liverpool and play for nil nil and Huddersfield and lose.

We should be closer. I can accept a close second while challenging. I can't accept a distant second while surrendering supremacy so meekly.

cytrax and King Shergar like this.

11. Wahl Icht..

Wahl Icht.. New Member

They have 15 out of 16 wins, it's impossible to not be distant behind them. Any other season and you would be at worst a close second while challenging. At worst.

12. King Shergar

One of the reasons they have 15 wins is because they played us off the park in our own ground. That is not acceptable for any Man Utd manager.

Man City are a very good side, but they are not as brilliant when compared to past sides as they have been made to look this season.

I think to prove yourself a great PL side, you have to back that up in the CL.

IMO Man City have 2 world class midfield players, but they are lacking big time when it comes to goalkeeper, defenders and wingers when compared to either of our sides of 99 and 08.

I don't include the Arsenal invincible side as a great PL side, as they flopped in all other competitions, and done nothing in the CL. If any other PL side deserves some recognition then I'd say it was Chelsea's 05 team, as they where just unlucky in the CL with the ghost goal, and they where a better team than the Invincibles for me.

I'd rate that Chelsea side over City by quite some way too, they may not have had the passers like De Bruyne and Silva, but they where much stronger in most other areas of the field.

cytrax and The Ginger Marks like this.
  13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Well said, I couldn't agree more <ok>

14. Wahl Icht..

Wahl Icht.. New Member

Good god, Moyes and Van Gaal got played off the park many times at old Trafford. Hell, didn't the great sir Alex Ferguson get thrashed 6-1 by Man City at old Trafford?

The bigger picture here is that Mourinho has taken a team that has spent the last 4 years fighting for top 4 and missing out more often than not to 2nd place in the league behind an outstanding Man City team. Look, 15/16 wins has never happened before. Regardless of what you think subjectively about how good this Man City team is, the objective truth is that their record so far is the best any premier league team has ever had. That has to be take into account before you say Man Utd are 11 points behind. Any other season and Man Utd would be 5 points or so behind max. Which is exactly where you want to be, competing for the title. It is very good progress.

15. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Just a quick note...

The 6-1 was a freak result no one saw coming. The possession and territorial stats show it was largely an even game which City only led 1-0 until we had a man sent off at the start of the second half. It was because our ten men had the bravery to throw everything at City in search of getting back in the game, that we conceded three injury time goals to turn it into a rout. But the game could be played a hundred times over with those players and systems and City wouldn't get the same result.

16. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

You are right about the general drift of your criticism but the actual figures are not that extreme. Fair enough about the massive spend but the wage bill of the other Clubs apart from Spurs are closer to United and there is no way it is more than the 3 combined.

City have spent most and probably have the highest wage bill. When many clubs are spending huge amounts, you cannot be guaranteed to be first even if you spend the highest amounts. Moyes and LVG squandered a lot of millions on duds too.

For me, I look at whether the team is making progress and playing well irrespective of the money spent. Time will tell whether Mourinho will eventually build a title winning team but we can forget this season unless City has some dramatic collapse.

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We have to spend again, like it or not.

Pep surely now has his squad complete, he spent £120 million on three full backs for **** sake, but Mourinho's is far from that.

Mourinho needs to spend well though and not continue to buy duffs. Mhkytarian is a failure who will leave next month and Lindelof isn't looking like a £35 million centre half at all.

We need absolute out of the top drawer players to compete. Kroos would sort our midfield, Bale would sort our left side attack (allowing Martial to replace Lukaku up front!!), Rose would sort out left full back.

Whether we get players of this class is a major doubt though.

luvgonzo likes this.
  18. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Bollocks <ok>

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The Miki thing is odd, I agree that he just hasn't done it at Utd but he's experienced and will be willing to work hard. Is it a matter of Jose getting the best out of him? If you can even get him to half the level he was at he'd be a good squad player for you but at the moment he's not even making the bench.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Not sure he is, I think that's the problem.

He floats about giving the odd clever pass and seems to think that's it. Never performs in the premier league, he only ever really plays well in european games and that's just not good enough.