1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Very Off topic... Life after Uni.

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by EastMidlandMagpie, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastMidlandMagpie

So i've noticed that a lot of not606 posters are currently student at uni or at a-level. AS there is not a lot to talk about in the world of the toon army i was wondering what you guys had planned after university? Or whether anyone has any plans to go to uni?

My advice is unless you take a vocational course don't do it, far too expensive and it is nothing like you imagine it to be. Unless you join a sports team.

In other news, we're 5th, above Liverpool which is ****ing fantastic considering my **** of a house mate 'supports' Liverpool. By support i mean occasionally plays with them on FIFA

2. Blue harvest

Blue harvest Active Member

Where are the students on this forum.....they should be revising, reading, doing coursework, sharpening their pencils and shuffling paper so they look busy!!!

No debt for my degree either (last year of student grant system), was everything like i imagined, but does open a few career paths that not having a degree doesn't.

3. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Used to at Uni myself, finished in 2009, had a brilliant time and made good friends but had nothing since and makes you wonder whether it was all worth it.

4. atom heart mother

Buy a backpack and go.....
    Travel the world, get travelling type jobs eg. In OZ fruit or grape picking. Meet lots of good people and shag yourself senseless. You will have great experiences and probably do something or meet someone that will change your life forever. Plenty of time for settling down later - there's a big exciting world out there...go for it !

5. singingitworks

Finished Undergraduate degree summer 2011, looked for a job but failed. Decided to increase my prospects by doing a Masters MBA degree. Hopefully this time round, I find a nice graduate scheme to join or a decent job.

6. Cheik the room

Cheik the room Well-Known Member

Hoping I get into Uni this year as a paramedic, got an interview at Coventry sometime in the next 2 weeks (date not set yet) so fingers crossed

7. key

key New Member

course it will be rubbish if you don't get involved. I found that the best part of uni is the societies and sports teams.

currently doing an MSc after graduating last year.

Good luck CTR!

8. Tinker Raylor Soldier Saylor

I've been at uni in Newcastle for 5 years and wouldnt change it for the world. However I know a lot of people who have graduated and they are really struggling for work. I would highly reccommend it for the experience but it is what you make it and you need to make sure you knuckle down in the final year of your course and get the best mark you can or you will get out competed in the job market. Also I'd advise anyone applying now to seriously think about their course. You dont want to be paying 9000 pounds a year just to get 5 history lectures a week!

Life after graduation can be a bit of a system shock. Particularly as all the mates you make split off to different parts of the country, making it pretty hard to keep in touch

9. Why aye Cabaye

Why aye Cabaye Active Member

Finished Uni in 2006.

When 95% of people leave, they get a 'normal' job that they could have got without a degree. Very few actually use their degree.

Degrees are common as muck nowadays, employers don't really take much notice of them, it's all about experience or further, post graduate qualifications.

But I did meet some brilliant people and have a great 3 years before I had to join the real world. I also met the bloke that was my best man, and I was his best man <ok>

10. Santons pizzeria

Finished Uni in August, haven't managed to find a decent job since. Wish I had never gone, much better to spend the money traveling.

11. tommytoonAA

tommytoonAA Active Member

I think it's worth taking in to account what career you'd like to do and whether that needs a degree (something like medicine for example). Do a bit of research 'cos you'd be surprised! Anything in finance doesn't need a degree, pretty much all firms will take you on as a school leaver and then you can go get an ACCA qualification that puts you on the same pedestal as a person with a degree and an ACA qualification....plus instead of spending £20-30k in total on uni you've earned twice that!

12. MissingTheLeazesEnd

I finished two years ago and am now doing a phd, putting off said decision about actual career. Since I did a science course at a preppy uni, many of my uni mates are in London, working in the city, raking it in. I'm not jealous, honest....

Unlike some above posters, I don't regret going to uni at all, even if it doesn't really affect my job prospects. It was a fun time and my course was (mainly) interesting.

Although I wish my course had a typing module, as this is the third edit of a short post due to typos.

13. MissingTheLeazesEnd

Sorry but some things in finance need a degree. Alot of firms use mathmatical modelling to buy shares etc and these roles (as well as consultancy) do want a degree. Also it helps if you went to the same private school as the guy who now recruits...

14. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Graduated in 2009 in Civil Engineering. Got a job as a civil engineer, hated it and I now work for an investment bank in Leeds. University opens doors for people but if you cannot communicate and get on with people, these doors will be firmly shut. I know a guy who did law at Oxford, he is now working in McDonalds <yikes>

15. tommytoonAA

tommytoonAA Active Member

<laugh> that would definitely help! I was talking more accountancy to be honest, I went into one of the top firms without a degree and they're now pushing their school recruitment as much as their uni recruitment.
    For the investing and consultancy areas then yeah a degree will help for sure.

16. Shola's Best Hat

I graduated from Leeds in the summer, having done politics. Cocked up my A levels the first time round and could have gone to somewhere less prestigious but worked for a year and re-did them part time to get in to a top place; with so many people having degrees now it counts for a lot where you studied. It's no good doing dog grooming at Worcester, for example. (Unless you want to be a dog groomer).

Moved to Sheffield with my girlfriend last summer but there wasn't much work on so I applied for a research internship back at Leeds and got it. I don't want to stay in academia but I'll be published, the work's interesting, pay's alright and it's only for six months. Also means that I get to apply for an EU traineeship in Brussels with a decent chance of being accepted.

I don't buy the argument about it being a waste of money. You pay back a negligible amount each month and it's not like "real" debt where if you can't pay it your house can be repossessed and your credit rating is affected etc.

17. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Do you get discount when you go in?

18. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

I hate Maccy D's. I am more of a Burger King man myself.

19. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I am also but recently discovered that my favourite meal of an large XL Bacon double cheeseburger, with onion rings and barbecue sauce (to make a massive rodeo - yee-hah) is over 2100 calories. That is ****ing immense! Over the recommended daily intake of calories for a man in a full day.

So I now have that meal and nothing else all day! Haha

20. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Mine too <laugh>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.