1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wycombe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 27, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well this is the one you no doubt have all been waiting for. I still don't get the repute that Argyle supporters appear to hold Wycombe in. I said to son yesterday that next game Thursday night then. Who are we playing he asked as he had obviously forgotten what time of year it is. Wycombe I said. Oh great Thursday evening game and it's them. We may not get to the Club after then......

Wycombe are going to be difficult at the very best. They have picked up recently and have a decent run of form. We all clapped loudly when they beat Ipswich. Our record against them is not great and last season they gave us a lesson. I feel however that we are a better side now than then. We will have to turn up but we do have the means to get a result here and keep the home fires burning bright. We can do it. The Ref has apparently issued 74 yellows and 1 red in 20 games this season. He might make it a fair few more in his next one. Hope he doesn't spoil it.

COYG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well it's 4pm so only another 8 hours to wait for the result. Don't time drag when you're having fun...............

4. notDistantGreen

All the big lads again then. Gillesphy, Wilson, Scarr and Lonwijk at the back and Cosgrove up front. It worked before so why not….

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cooper, Lonwijk, Wison, Scarr, Gillesphey, Houghton, Randell, Whittaker, Mayor, Hardie, Cosgrove.

Subs
    Burton, Bolton, Butcher, Edwards, Ennis, Mumba, Issaka.

...............................................................Cooper

.....Lonwijk.................Wilson...................................Scarr......................Gillesphey

.......................................Houghton...........................Randell

.......................................Whittaker..........................Mayor

.......................................Hardie..............................Cosgrove

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Argyle...1-0...Wycombe W...F/T

Scarr...33mins.

Double over Wycombe....wow.

7. notDistantGreen

A deserved win due to an excellent first half during which we could again have scored a couple more.

That domination waned after Wycombe made second half substitutions and the last 20 minutes were excruciating. Nevertheless, gathering around Scarr Rock, we held out.

Top marks to Stephen Schumacher’s tactical flexibility, starting with a back 4, Hardie running in behind Cosgrove Lighthouse and Randell unexpectedly ranging forward instead of occupying the centre midfield with Houghton as expected.

Top marks too, wait for it, to Wycombe, who played more football tonight than I’ve seen from them in all the other games I’ve ever seen them in.

A hard fought win was overshadowed after the final whistle by the apparent collapse of a Wycombe player. A large number of Argyle fans stayed to clap as he was stretchered off to an ambulance and Ainsworth in turned clapped them. I hope his player is OK - somethings are more important than 3 points.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

6 - 2. That is the sort of scoreline it should have been but we will all settle for the 1 - 0 it actually was. WE SCORED FROM A CORNER. WOWEEEEE. Who would have thought it and certainly not me. Not sure which part of Scarr it went in off but go in it did. We dominated nearly all of the game but allowed them back into it at the end which is what Argyle often do. I could only see one team scoring in the last 15 minutes and that was not us. But, we held out for a double against a right old bogey side so yet another one put to bed this season. We just carry on grinding out results no matter what the others do for now. I did not see the final whistle so have no idea what happened after it was blown. Hope it isn't anything serious in the end.

Wycombe didn't do what Wycombe does in this game. I have to say that it has more to do with chasing a game than the other way around if they go one up. I didn't think the Ref was much cop tonight for either team. Whistle happy when he wanted to be and not interested sometimes when he should have been. But we got the result we wanted so am happy.

9. notDistantGreen

It was I think a clever goal straight off the training ground which Randell had the accuracy to make happen.

The usual crowd scene on the box before the kick was moved en masse to the near post by the Argyle players leading it there. But Randell hit it over the top of all of them where Dan Scarr was left running in to the far post with just one defender. The ball almost came to him like a dog returning a stick to its owner and all it needed was a tap-in with the keeper stranded. Clever and beautifully executed.