1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Wigan

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 24, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm almost scared stiff to ask what could possibly go wrong again. Truth is it could be anything the way this season is going so far. .

Wigan are doing as most would expect which isn't too badly whereas we on the other hand are so bad it is scarey aloready. I might just hide behind the settee on Tuesday night rather than try to follow the match

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I think i will be out fishing.

3. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I felt sorry for Fletcher as he never really got into the game, Ciftci and Lameiras did not do much to support him. Sarcevic was the most dangerous all game but as usual we had not bite to our attacks.

I am hoping we play better but even so the match will likely go the way of the majority so far - another loss and potentially 5pts adrift of safety - back to 4-2-3-1 (but with Carey on the wing):

McCormick

Miller, Edwards, Songo'o, Sawyer

Fox, Ness

Carey, Sarcevic, Grant

Ciftci

Subs: Letheren, Sokolik, Lameiras, Threlkeld (if fit or Bentley), Wylde, Blissett, Fletcher (any one know where Jervis is?)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jervis out for maybe 10 days with a groin injury.

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I think another Red and the fa will be slapping a fine of us... I see sheridan was sacked today? who will be next in this league :eek::eek:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Interesting that we are far from being the top of the L1 ill discipline league. In fact Wigan have a bigger disciplinary points total than we do-could be a feisty affair. Will let you know when I get back at whatever ridiculous time Wednesday morning.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

They've probably got a bigger more expensive squad at their disposal.....plus a lot more points at the moment.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was on a bus today and there was a couple of lads behind me giving it loud about Argyle. They were both clearly fans who go but boy were they unhappy after Saturday. These are people who pay every home game to go through the turnstiles. The point is that I can't blame them. If this current situation goes on I think there will be less and less turning up. They have stuck with the club through a lot of crap and have not given it large about it which is to their credit. There can be no excuses now. The club have taken their hard earned and provided little until last season. The honeymoon is over now I think and the people will hold Argyle to account from here on. If they get served rubish then they will respond with their feet. The loss of revenue will hurt both Brent and Argyle although I think it will be the club football side more than the former. Argyle cannot expect anything else.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's a bit early for that. We have players out injured and suspended and it may take until we have a full squad thta things turn around. I do hope however that the continue to look for a free agent No 9 and a RB (who can ideally play at LB too).

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems that McCormick has been seen in Plymouth going to the gym.

So Letheren must be in goal with young Cooper on the bench ?

I expect Carey will wear the arm band.....I hope Sokolik is chosen ahead of Songo'o in defence....Songo'o can then go in front of the back four.

Our shaky defence with a untried keeper behind them...and Wigan already scored 17 goals this season....what possibly could go wrong...<doh>

11. notDistantGreen

Songo'o plays.

Human rocket Ainsworth plays and Blissett in for Cifcti. Two out of three is something....

12. notDistantGreen

Oh, that bloke Carey too.....

13. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Another poor performance with four bookings!

14. notDistantGreen

Brave defensive performance. On Saturday, Bradley is held in the box and gets sent off for reacting. Wigan's guy goes down and gets a penalty. Then Carey hits the bar in injury time. Another injury. When will it end?

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Was out having a meal this evening so only got to see the score things on sky news from 9pm ish Was looking good for a point until the hoo doo struck once more. I hate this season already. Well done for getting the time of the penalty spot on hobo in the prediction league. Fortunately I have been sorted with a glass of sedative before switching my tele on.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We were the only bottom team not to get a point tonight...only one shot on target...whose going to score any goals for us ?

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You need a stiff drink before venturing onto pasoti to read the match comments.

Not since the days of Peter Reid and Carl Fletcher have I read so much moaning of how the team plays, how negative they play, no sign of any goal threat at all.

Four more yellow cards tonight, possibly more injuries as well.....Gary Miller taken off on a yellow, plus two bad fouls, he looked a whisker away from another red card for us.... and also Ainsworth off injured as well, all before half time.

Letheren played well on his debut... and Songo'o played a blinder throwing himself in front of the ball many times to keep the score 0-0.

It took an 83 minute penalty, a foul by Sokolik to break the deadlock.....

10 games played, 5 points gained...5 goals scored...only 2 goals in our last 7 games and 1pt obtained....4 red cards...lots of yellows....it's pretty dour reading.

We have been unlucky with injuries and 4 red cards a little harsh maybe but we do need a change of direction quickly.

I don't see Adams job in danger yet....unless he decides to walk...which I don't think he will do.

I fear that if we did lose Derek Adams, we would get the cheap option of Wotton being given the job....shades of the Fletcher days....it would be a disaster and relegation a cert....we will be desperate to get something out of the Bristol R game on Saturday....another defeat would result in a meltdown of support at Home Park for our next home game.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think Adams has the safest job in football. To get rid Brent would have to pay up and then have to possibly pay again to get the next one. It's hard enough getting Brent to pay once so twice is an absolute no go. Realistically I can't see us getting anything on Saturday either.

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Well , have just got back in one piece. A better performance than Saturday and it could be argued that we were unlucky to lose to a soft pen near the end but wigan were the better team. With Luke and Robbert t-l both injured Letheren stepped up and played really well as did Songo'o. Not much to write about the rest. We looked less panicky and more solid , perhaps a few positive signs at last..

20. notDistantGreen

There's no way anyone should even think of replacing Adams. He got us to the play-off final with a hotchpotch squad he inherited and promoted the following year. Despite the depression, I feel he will pull this around, even if it was to wait until the January transfer window.

You can see that our style has changed to match the League 1 level but the results haven't come in a perfect storm of injuries, ill discipline by the players, bad luck and bad refereeing.

Yes, he plays what's called a defensive style with only one striker but so do a majority of teams in the top tiers of most leagues. When it worked, I saw some dazzling football fat Home Park last year and it gave us an excellent away record. Nobody complained then, quite the reverse.

We'd be hard put to find anyone who thinks they can succeed in the way Adams does within a tightly playing budget. That isn't going to change and neither should it. That isn't to say we don't need a couple of extra players now but both the club and Adams acknowledge the funds are there for that in the existing budget.

If there's a criticism, it's that the summer's transfer dealings weren't perfectly executed. There are a couple I wouldn't have let go (Spencer and Slew) and we've ended up short of a couple in the striker and full back positions. That's not Adams' fault alone.