1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Shrewsbury

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 12, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well they've blown all the pundits out of the ball park haven't they. So it's top versus bottom this Saturday.

I've run out of comments to make about Argyle and their chances so I'll leave you all to fill in the blanks.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG......................

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Always the optimist I think we might just scrape a victory

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Not much else can go wrong.. after the start we have had.. :eek:

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

4:4:3 apparently

Sawyer Edwards Songo'o Taylor-Sinclair

Fox
    Sarcevic Diagouraga

Grant Fletcher Carey

Unsure about asking Fletcher to play alone through the middle.....

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

0-0 H/T

6. notDistantGreen

Slow start from Argyle, with Shrewsbury winning a rash of corners from a majority of early possession, but Argyle finish the stronger. 0-0 at half time, but Sarcevic off injured and replaced by Jervis.

upload_2017-10-14_15-51-36.png

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. notDistantGreen

60 mins, 1-0 to Argyle, a scorcher from Carey.

8. notDistantGreen

A Twitter post suggests this should be Argyle's next substitute.

please log in to view this image

9. notDistantGreen

Adams brings on Bradley for Fletcher and within 10 minutes, it's 1-1. Letheren beaten from outside the box.

Now back under the cosh as at the beginning.

10. notDistantGreen

And now we have Blissett on for Grant. WTF?

11. notDistantGreen

1-1.... Perhaps some would have taken that to start but it was ours to win with 30 mins to play. Disappointing.

Still, 3 points for me in the Prediction League. I'd rather have got it wrong.

PGFWhite likes this.
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1 F/T
    At 1-0 we were actually off the bottom....above Northampton.

13. notDistantGreen

The tide turned back after half time...

upload_2017-10-14_17-0-49.png

... and most of it after Fletcher came off.

Attached Files:

14. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

It is still a funny old game. A line up that no one would have predicted and we kind of struggled to get things going. I didn't like both Sawyer & Carey on the right. Far too many times they stopped and turned to get the ball on their favoured left foot. Sure enough though we improved as the half went on. Songo'o sadly missed a free header but we were totally dominant for the last 15. Second half more of the same- an absolutely outstanding goal from CG10, a couple of subs, equaliser from them, and a couple of half chances to nick it at the end. The crowd were absolutely brilliant from start to finish, and rarely has there been such an ovation at the end of a 1-1 draw. A good afternoon's entertainment and still plenty of reasons to be cheerful for Argyle fans. Another drive up north on Tuesday to tick off another stadium. could we just nick 3 points?

PGFWhite likes this.
  15. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Good draw for you today, and a welcome point. Well done <ok>

Has the tide turned ?

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is only one person to credit with our one point today. That's Adams. The man cocked it up and cost us two points in the process in my and many other's opinion today. We were one up and going reasonably well. Then for some inexplicable reason Adams brought on Bradley for Fletcher. Why for feck sake was it a defender? What does that say to a team who are struggling already. It says I don't trust you to stay in front and I am now changing things to go completely defensive. We then sat back and invited them on. Until that point we had been quite comfortable and hadn't been troubled particularly. He move Jervis to the upfront position and that left our left back who was playing as a right back exposed once again. Anyone could see that Sawyer was having a torrid time in the first half against his opposite full back. Adams was like a novice tactician and this loss of the points is down to him. Make no mistake about this, we were winning and could have won had it not been for this move. Shrewsbury must have thought all of their birthdays had come at once. A victory for us would have been massive. I am marginally more pee'd off this week than I was last week. Last week we never much looked like winning the game but this week we did. I will be interested to read what Adams has to say this time. Who is he going to blame?

I thought there were a number of decent performances out there today. Letheren has grown and is improving. The back four all did well once Sawyer got a bit of help. The newbie looked half decent without being spectacular but he can win a ball. Carey looked someway back to his normal self and the forwards looked up for it even if they toiled a bit with a finish at times. I hope they all have a collective go at their Boss for his balls up.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have now read some of what Adams said. The man is totally delusional and should be ashamed. He must be the only one in the City who thinks he did right this afternoon. The more I hear from him the more I have to wonder about him. I'm beginning to think the out people aren't entirely wrong.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Graham Carey showed a bit of his old form yesterday...scored a great goal....without his bit of magic how would we of ever scored...in the end one goal wasn't enough.
    Fletcher did well, but at 18 years of age to be the lone striker is too much to ask.
    We seriously need goals from somewhere, and Adams defensive ideas when taking Fletcher off played to Shrewsbury's best interest, and we could of lost everything in the end.....I just don't think we have any goal getting talent in the squad at the moment and if Adams cannot find a free agent quickly we will be stranded at the bottom with too much pressure on our defence to keep clean sheets.

Planning on going to Wimbledon next Saturday....but they're offering me standing room only at the moment....which means no vision at all.....will try for a seat in either the Paul Strank or John Green stands, they have more banking there than their crappy standing areas.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Did the new man play well yesterday as not had chance yet to read much, only that Adams made a big error with his changes this time, but why is he getting the crap.. He is usually very good at the changes he makes..

Probably as he is under a lot of pressure and making a few errors. like us all under pressure.. :mad:

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Toumani Diagouraga played the full 90 minutes....no complaints against what he did that I've read...so I'll assume he did alright, winning the ball when necessary and protecting the defence behind him.....comments that he was running out of steam by the end....but that's his first 90 minutes, accept for an hour or so mid-week this season....so he did ok.