1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Scunthorpe

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 29, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was going to bump the original thread for this one and let it carry on but it was full of other meaningless results of the games on that day and it was agony watching them all pretty much go the wrong way for us.

This game is pointless in talking about form or anything else for that matter. All you need to ask is "what could possibly go wrong" and know that the answer is it might just be the defining game of our season. Lose and I think that's us done. Draw and it is going to be hard but could still be doable. Win and it's still game on even if we have to go away for the last game as well.

I said on the original thread that I didn't totally remember the first encounter which ended in us losing 0 - 4 at home. Sarcevic got sent off and according to reports the bloke he knuckled should have also gone but did'nt. The got 5 players booked in that one and we had one card. Regrettably that one was red. I do recall that we were never 4 goals worse than Scunthorpe and the result was a bit of a travesty. Not maybe the loss but the scoreline. Madden was the player who clashed with Sarcevic so if he still plays for Scunthorpe he can be this games panto villain. We quite clearly owe them a thrashing so that sort of goes without saying. Still say that win lose or draw we have still had a great season but that doesn't mean I don't want it to continue.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As I've just said in the prediction thread.....this is at least a 50-50 game for us...and with our share of luck winnable.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If we get a good result tomorrow at Scunthorpe tomorrow ...it will make next Saturdays Gillingham encounter a real biggy.

Gillingham have won fewer home games than any team in Div1.....W4...D11...L7...Goal difference...21-24...amassing...23 pts only.

If we gain 6pts this week we will be paired with either Shrewsbury or Rotherham in the semi-final play-offs and we have not been beaten by either of these two teams this season.

Shrewsbury.....1-1 at home.....2-1 away.
    Rotherham......2-1 at home.....1-1 away.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Jamie Ness will not play again this season.....Derek Adams said that he has got a hamstring problem that will keep him out for the rest of this season.

We're nearly down to the bare bones and have now got three apprentices on the bench for Scunthorpe on Tuesday.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Feck me I'll have to get me boots out again.

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Me too Sensible. ...we will give à goodie anyway!

7. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Good luck tomorrow lads <ok>

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thank you PGF. We might need it.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Checked out Scunthorpe on not606....dead as a Dodo......an advert put on there 12 months ago is all.....you have to go back 2 years plus for anything by a Scunnie fan and that was not football related.....I assume they have other fan websites ?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0 down ...32 mins

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Losing 1-0 H/T

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Full time Scunthorpe...2-0...Argyle......we will now finish 7th.

Unless we win Saturday and Charlton lose and there is a 7 goal swing in our favour.

13. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Barring a miracle, that is the end of Argyles season - and what a season it has been!

At Christmas, it was all doom and gloom with Argyle facing a straight return to League 2. By May it's disappointment at not reaching the play offs! Incredible.

Having gained promotion a mid table finish this year would have been regarded as an achievement, so to finish well above that is a credit to everyone at the Club, especially on the tight budget that was available..

But it is obvious that improvements need to be made for next season.

Tonights match showed that Adams is trying to play a passing game. That will stand the Club in good stead in the long term, but tonight it wasn't effective because he didn't have the personnel to ensure damage was caused in the final third. Lameiras looked handy, Careywas subdued, but for all Argyles possession, they were undone by Scunthorpes more direct physical approach.

A couple of key signings need to be made in the summer. If the right ones are made, there is no reason why Argyle can't secure a top 6 spot next season <ok>

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Having watched the highlights....it all looked a step to far and the remnants of a team that had swept all before them a month or so ago.

A good team but a poor squad in depth.

A win on Saturday...plus a defeat for Charlton with a 7 goal swing would leave me gobsmacked at Gillingham.

But realistically I feel we'll be dead flat Saturday and go out with a whimper....and we will finish a credible 7th.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

All I will say is that we never at any stage looked like winning this match. Very professional performance by Scunthorpe and they won because they deserved to win. I am not even going to entertain the could be line with Charlton. Grasping straws has never been productive in my lifetime.

16. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Scunthorpe far the better team tonight. ...but a season to be proud of!

17. brb

brb CR250

I'm having a word with our goalkeeper, asked him to help you lads out, stopping Charlton from making the play-offs under such circumstances would give me years and years worth of wum material <laugh>

PGFWhite and sensiblegreeny like this.
  18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thanks brb....but it might be kinder to let Argyle miss the play-offs.....they looked like the walking wounded last night with two of them being replaced at half-time.....and no one of significance to bring on to try to reverse a 0-1 score line....an out of favour full-back in Gary Miller, who could well be on the release list next week....and a young striker in Alex Fletcher who is very much on the fringe of the first team. A squad that had no depth or game changers amongst them beyond the first-eleven.
    The play-offs would of been an unnecessary torture for a team of walking wounded, who gave all on Saturday to beat Rotherham and last nights fourth game in a fortnight showed up the weakness of their squad and how they cannot function without certain injured players......will Adams expect them to go once more at Gillingham or ring the changes.....I think Adams will expect them to go again....because it is mathematically possible to end up 6th....will he be forced to make changes because of more injuries picked up last night.....that could influence Adams approach to team selection on Saturday.

19. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Can you confirm you watched the game Sensible? #skysportsspawnofthedevil.

Disappointing to go down that way without giving a good account of ourselves. As always, the first goal is crucial and the midfield allowed the guy to run 15 yards straight at the middle of the defence. Unlucky for Matthews with the through the legs deflected shot.

If we'd held out until half time I guess Adams would have been more aggressive and we did show in parts that we could trouble them.

Similarly with the second, Lameiras didn't track back allowing the Scunthorpe left back to cross.

Still, the best team on the night won.

We have a number of players who've played 90 minutes of nearly every game. Bradley, Sawyer, Fox and Carey. Then there are more who would have had they been available throughout: Threlkeld, Edwards, Taylor.

We have good players but we need greater strength in depth to allow some rotation and cover absences.

Let's hope we can finish off with a win on Saturday to represent what is really a very satisfactory season. We finish as the best of the promoted teams and having been in the play-off hunt right through to the last 2 games.

Onwards and upwards!

As a byword where do Sky get the commentators for these games? I've never heard such twaddle.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I can confirm I watched it but in my defence wuld add that it was not on anything I had actually contributed to. I still have not paid any money to that devil service known as Sky. As for the Commentators, not the greatest were they. I loved it when they showed a replay of their player diving in the box, which he should have been booked for, and he was in the process of saying he could not blame the man for falling because........................when the camera was showing there was no contact at all on him even after he was falling down. But, we didn't play at all in the first half and by then we looked beaten. Bucked up at start of second but that just faded away. The players began to look very very tired and sure enough No.2 went in. Game over.