1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Rochdale

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Nov 30, 2020.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hmmm! Banana skin alert...........this is one recently that we should win for two reasons. First being we are at home. Second being that Rochdale haven't generally been very good. We have played a load at the top of the league lately. The banana skin being because we ought to win this one we will struggle because this is Argyle and that's what we do. As a club I mean rather than with this squad.

I am going to tempt fate and say we will win well.

COYG

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We've got a good record against Rochdale.....that will put the mockers on it then.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

M Cooper, Watts, Wootton, Canavan, Fornah, Edwards, Reeve, G Cooper, Grant, Jephcott, Nouble.

Subs
    McCormick, Aimson, Opoku, Moore, Telford, Camara, Hardie.

No Mayor again.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-3...Rochdale...Beesley 3mins...Morley...23mins...Keohane...45+12mins....H/T.

First half lasted 45+20mins because of injury.

Comments on pasoti about Wootton and Canavan....not too favourable about their abilities.

What will Lowe do at H/T.....we need to at least brick the goal mouth up.......:headbang:.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Humphry,,,72mins.....0-4

7. notDistantGreen

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That has to go down as one of the worst performances I have ever seen. That comment applies pretty much to all of them and the defence was non existent for all of the game probably including Cooper. It also includes Lowe who hid away in the back of the dugout rather than stand beside HIS players. Weak and sulky by him and it showed in the way the players performed. What did I say in the opening post......................banana skin alert. It was worse than that.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The only plus is I didn't pay out £10 to watch that.

Ryan Lowe's philosophy I thought was if they score 4 we'll score 5.....even with three strikers on we managed only two shots on target.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reading around there was comment of no sign of leadership on the pitch.....and some said that Lowe seemed to be skulking in the back of the dug-out.

Most people voted for Edwards as MoM.....Lowe took him off at half-time.

Comments that things cannot be right in the changing room....it looked as if the team wasn't playing for Lowe anymore.

We've already shipped 25 goals in 14 matches....only two clubs have given away more goals.

Remember Wootton and Canavan were involved two years back in the defence that spilt 80 goals.....if we keep this average up it'll be 82 goals this season.

10 goals against...1 for... in the last three league games.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Like I said before something going on....has to be!

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We need to start planning how we can rustle up 50 odd points to stay in this division.......unless we can find some way of Argyle planning how to have a plan 2 and 3

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I've just watched the match video....<doh>....:headbang:....:steam:....<wah>.

There were occasions last night when....Portsmouth, Lincoln, Sunderland and Fleetwood were all losing......Lincoln won in the end and Sunderland managed a point.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Okay....our 25 goal (equals 82 in a season) in 14 game defence....is coached by who ???....I'm assuming they're coached....but who is it ?

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Good post Plym must stay up....but this weird situation has cropped up at least once a season over several seasons now with different players/managers. Never knew they were playing lastnight until opened up phone. That was breakfast out the window!

16. notDistantGreen

I couldn't bring myself to say anything last night but this was every bit as bad as Fleetwood.

Leaving aside the result, and to be fair the Rochdale fan in the piece I posted did say her felt their league position was misleading, we seem to be getting into really deep water. It's not just that we are dropping down the table like a stone but that we just can't go on hauling off the whole back 3 and replacing them with the tree that were hauled off last week. There's no stability and the effect on morale must be terrible.

I'm beginning to think that at least until the January transfer window, as we have to work with what we've got, this may not be the environment for a young goal keeper. Perhaps Luke McCormick would be less likely to crack up and could also give whoever does play the benefit of his experience, loudly, frequently and with no mercy.

Also, we patently aren't good enough to say "this is how we play, we'll never change it". Perhaps Liverpool could do that in 2019 but we can't. Teams are sussing us out and taking advantage. I'm not suggesting we abandon Lowe's good principles and start using a flat back 4 and hoofing it at a tall centre forward, but just some variations on the theme. We went to a 3:4:3 in the second half yesterday and got some joy even if it was still way short of enough.

Lastly, last week I posed the question whether we would be a better or equal team without Danny Mayor, Against Lincoln it seemed perhaps we could but I think last night proves we can't. Part of the defensive problem is the we aren't getting the ball into our opponents half and keeping it there. Mayor does the latter for sure. On the other hand, one thing that made Rochdale better than us wa how quickly they got the ball forward,

http://argyle.life/matches/player-ratings-plymouth-argyle-0-rochdale-4-12-20/

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watched the video a few times....puzzled by the attitude of Argyle players dispossessed and showing no urgency to regain the ball...just trundling along behind the opposing player.....plus the lack of marking when Rochdale broke forward.....so much open space....I'd still like to know who coaches the defence.

18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

After all these years of supporting/following Argyle we have not progressed in 50yrs or more, still in the old 3rd division and struggling to stay there recently with swift appearances in the second. If we have the best chairman and infrastructure for years we better make it count but still that curse lingering we've had for seasons now