1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Rochdale

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 25, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I really thought we'd win that one.... and the next 2 league games are now tough ones against Top 10 opposition.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No defence has the ability to succeed in making a team winners when that team can only score 12 goals in 16 matches....that is the equivalent of 0.75 goals per match or one goal every 120 minutes or witnessing one goal every 2 hours of play.

Defensively we have conceded 24 goals during those 16 matches, twice as many as we have scored or 1.5 goals per match, or one goal every hour of play.
    That is mainly due to some disastrous results at home not helped by a succession of red cards, better known as undisciplined performances.

Ok without those poor home results our defence has done alright away from home, only losing out by the odd goal....Doncaster 0-3 and Scunthorpe 0-4 at home have made are goal difference so poor.....who expects to play two home games and end up 7 goals minus.

So without needing a genius to tell us....we need to play a style that brings far more success and resulting in more goals being scored.....playing the game in our own half and trying to be tight isn't working (1.5 goals conceded per match, tells us that)......as Jock Stein once said, "the best way to defend is in your opponents half" (or similar words).

Even when Ryan Taylor returns and is up to speed, I doubt if he will bring much improvement up front, Jervis is doing his best, but he isn't a lone striker, Nadir Ciftic hasn't set the place alight since he has been here, Nathan Blissett looks as big as a barn door, but hasn't the ability to turn his assets into goals, Alex Fletcher shows promise but his time hasn't come yet, looks more like a boy playing against giants....and he isn't no David with five round pebbles.

We need to get a proven striker, and that doesn't seem a possibility until the January window, so in the meanwhile we need to struggle on....6pts out of 4 games is helping a little...but winning 3pts per game more often will help...only happened twice in 16 games so far or once every 8 games, which is relegation form.
    A goal scoring striker will probably not be found in January without paying good money up front, and that means James Brent needs to dip into his piggy bank and supply the cash....this doesn't bring optimism, because he hasn't as yet fulfilled any of his promised building projects. His latest project has caused bad feeling amongst some fans, trying to link his private HHP development onto the Grandstand refurbishment that has been costed from other sources and by doing that causing a possible 6 month delay because of needed traffic congestion studies that it might bring.....shouting bricks at Brent at the moment, might be seen as similar as shouting Christmas at turkey's.

3. notDistantGreen

I know and sympathise that you don't get as much chance as you'd like to see Argyle but you are wrong about Taylor, Taylor is a different player to Jervis: if Jervis a race horse, Taylor is a cavalry charger: heavier, stronger, better able to give CB's the same as they dish out.

The ball sticks to him and he brings others into play - at the same time, that stops the ball just coming straight back at the defence, which is why in his absence we get pinned back so much. Adams' counter attacking style doesn't suit everyone but it succeeded previously. It does depend on having that kind of player. If the can score 15 or 20 goals a season that's a bonus, but it's not the be all and end all.

I'll say it again though, why did we let Jimmy Spencer go.......

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I wasn't comparing Jervis and Taylor....Jervis was playing out of position to fill a need at present....Taylor more of the up front alone striker, receiving , holding up and feeding to supporting runners....but as I said, even when he is back and up to speed.....we will still be needing a twenty a season goal scorer....Taylor isn't that man.

5. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

As demonstrated in the last couple of seasons we don't need a 20 a season striker. They don't exist at our level at an affordable price. We need to make sure we make the most of our chances and keep clean sheets. Not pretty, but effective.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

But we're not keeping clean sheets Lyndy....we're averaging 1.5 goals against each match and we aren't scoring the equivalent of one goal a match anyrate.

There will be quite a few teams with worse defences than ours.....but they wont be struggling so much because they can score enough goals to win anyway.

We do seem to go defensive and we did stop the other team scoring in Div2...but we've been found out in Div1....so surely we need a goal scorer other than Carey....if we don't then this is going to be a very hard season....we've only scored twice in a league match once against Charlton....that is putting far to much pressure on any defence.

At the present time there are quite a few strikers who will possibly pass 20 goals this season.

Kieffer Moore.........12
    Jack Marriot...........10
    Eoin Doyle...............9
    Brett Pitman.............9
    Devante Cole...........8
    Jermaine Beckford...8
    and quite a few on 7 goals.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I note you haven't given your opinion of the game and the comments made by Adams and people like me who went. Did you note the defensive move once we had scored? What we need to do is go out to attack teams when we are on top and not sit back and hope our defence holds up. A second goal, god forbid we ever get one, would do wonders for final results

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Lyndy as sensible has just commented.....we generally get an opinion about the match from you....I assume you were there yesterday ?

9. notDistantGreen

I agree we should attack teams like Rochdale at Home Park. Away games and tougher opposition may call for different tactics.

10. lyndhurstgreen

Yes I was there, just had a v busy few days. Dont disagree with much of what has been said. Perfect start, probably sat too deep making the equaliser inevitable, but I thought we played pretty well in the second half. Closed the gap to 5th bottom. I have no concerns over relegation. Slightely saddenned to say, but we appear to have learnt some of the L1 dark arts and managed to win a fair selection of dubious freekicks. Another game without a yellow makes me happy.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thanks Lyndy....just need to get all our players available for selection.....worrying that Oscar Threlkeld isn't back yet....did he come back to early or was he just unlucky to get another knock.

Then we just need our fair share of luck for the rest of the season.

It does seem that we will not be finding a free agent striker before the January window....lets hope we can "afford" one during the window.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think that's a fairly diplomatic answer lyndie. We didn't "probably" sit too deep did we. We definately sat too deep and made the equaliser inevitable. It doesn't matter how well you play once it has happened if you don't score again. We were on top at the outset and allowed them to look good and come back. That's instead of going for the throat. Like you it saddens me that we have to come down to the level of "arts" in league one but I've said this before, if you can't beat them then you have to join them and do unto them as they would do unto you. Pity but required nonetheless. We could and should have learned that quicker.

13. lyndhurstgreen

Its difficult though isn't it. Press for a second and then concede and the manager gets hammered for not managing the game better. Is it better to play attacking football and lose 3-2, or achieve a point-Think I would take a point every time-especially in our position.Think the biggest thing I have learnt over the last 10 months (yes already!) is that it is a lot easier sat on the terraces. Yes it was diplomatic Sensible-you wouldn't expect anything different would you! and Plymborn-I ain't going to comment on injuries!
    Really enjoyed watching the U19s win 7-2 tonight, bring on Wimbledon(probably) in the next round (next week or the week after) and then the chance of one of the big boys in the 3rd round.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

To be fair to you no I wouldn't expect any different from you. I'd ask a slightly different question though. Is it better to go one in front and then inevitably throw it away by not seeming to try to score another? Is that entertainment or is it saying to the supporters we are **** scared of attacking now we have scored one. I don't think the supporters would turn on the team or manager for having a real go. They do resent the fact that we don't appear to go forward when we are winning and absolutely kick off when we blatantly sit further and further back allowing average to poor sides to come at us. They also resent Adams for trying to kid everyone we "attacked too much". That just comes across as arrogance on his part and a refusal to admit he is defensive when everyone can see it for themselves. I hear the comments every home game and people do get fed up with it. You also only have to read the comments on pasoti these days. Where once there was love and forgiveness of anything and everything it no longer exists except for the few truely green tinted who will never see anything anyway.

15. notDistantGreen

Nobody complained about playing style last season....

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We scored more goals and we won more games. Of course they didn't. This season though because we aren't winning and are virtually giving points away the thing is more glaringly obvious. To be fair though people were complaining about negative football last season as well. Had we not got the promotion I think calls for Adams head would have been very loud.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We didn't score shed loads of goals last season.....our defence won it for us....of all the top teams last year in Div 2 we had the worse goal difference.....and of course we were beaten for the title in the end by goal difference.