1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Rochdale

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 25, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This weekend we welcome back one of Argyle's old boys in Keith Hill. Touted as a possible manager down here a few times there have been vacancies but seems to have been at Rochdale for yonks now. An old boy comes back as opposing manager so what could possibly go wrong.

Rochdale are one of the teams we must be aiming at to claw our way off the bottom. Keith Hill is in my opinion quite an astute manager so this won't be easy. Their last 5 outings have been similar to our's except they have drawn one where we lost it. They aren't on a fantastic run whereas we are improving even if it's slowly. I think we can win this one.

Please note that whilst Exeter were doing nicely the other Devon sides, i.e. us and Torquay were not. However, has the worm turned? They are no longer doing so well, and I think they will fade away now, we and Torquay have begun to improve. I've always noticed that Devon sides very rarely ALL win on a Saturday on the same day. Perhaps that's the turning point we needed rather than us improving.

2. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I am hoping that on Friday we hear that Matthews has signed for another week. Things are not looking good for Letheren and Luke is still some way off yet.

I suspect Adams will understandably play the same XI that won last week.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Adams has said that Mathews will play so he must be signed on again. Story in Herald said he was likely to be here a while.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Announced Thursday that Matthews has signed up for another seven days.

Letheren had news yesterday that his thigh wasn't doing has well as expected....so will be out longer.

te Loeke has a back problem and that can take forever and a day....so no real news on that.

McCormick's injury is taking longer than expected as well....his age is probably not helping there either.

So a few more seven day loans could be on the cards for Matthews.....he'll know all the team names by then.

5. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Well if he performs like he did last week I certainly have no issue with this, some Norwich fans I have spoken to really rate him.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Worst news is that Threlkeld isn't yet back in training, never mind close to making the squad.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm depressed again now.............

8. notDistantGreen

And the keepers are said to be a long way off....... Matthews seems to be a decent stand-in but presumably he is consuming wage cost that could be spent elsewhere given we have 3 of our own. Hopefully we'll have at least 2 or the 3 fit before the January window opens.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

te Loeke is still a mystery to most supporters....what do we know about him....and has he a contract to the end of the season ?

10. notDistantGreen

1.0 to PAFC after 43 seconds, Grant from Carey assist. Yes that's right, 43 seconds.

11. notDistantGreen

Only 65% possession in first 10 mins.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1 H/T

13. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

A draw was not needed. ..now we're falling behind!

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sounds as if that's 2pts dropped.....no one up front to score....toothless.

15. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Hard to stay awake watching on my IPad.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Whoops we did it again as said by Britney I believe. We scored in no time and then instead of going for the jugular we did what we always seems to do. We sat back further and further and further. The equaliser was inevitable and of course we weren't disappointed. I watched Adams and he seemed ok with this tactic as he didn't remonstrate with anyone or try to drive them forward at anytime. Pathetic if that's the tactics. We cannot defend at the best of times so anyone thinking we could for 90 minutes was a complete barn pot.

We came out in the second half and at least had a go. We were on top for the majority of the first 20 minutes but just couldn't get that ellusive goal. Story of the season so far. We should have won this once again make no mistake. I am deflated once more. Another 2 points thrown away without a fight and that is once again down to Adams in my view. He got spoken to by the Ref about something and I thought for a minute he was going to get sent to the stand. I was praying he was because he needs desperately to go there and see what he is telling the players is totally wrong.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Only one league game played where we have scored more than one goal.....2-0 against Charlton....when will we try to win games by scoring more goals...instead of sitting back like today with one.

18. notDistantGreen

I hear what you say about Adams not visibly urging them forward but I can't imagine it's a planned tactic to drop back after being on top and scoring early. It's in the players' minds somewhere. Very disappointing.

Listening to the radio commentary, Blissett was poor and that lack of a central striker is the big problem.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sorry notdistant but I think that is exactly what Adams teaches them to do. I kid you not it was nailed on to see once we had scored. It's exactly what his team does every single time. If it wasn't his tactic then he would be roasting them in training not to do it. It's Adams that need to take note that this tactic isn't working which the scores each week should be telling him. We should have won this game as we probably should have won a few others.

We allowed Rochdale to have all of their half of the pitch for the best part of 35 minutes. This was virtually without challlenge. They played it about waiting for a space with one of their players in it and then moved it forward into our half. By this time we were sat on out 18 yard line waiting. We were never going to do this without conceding for the rest of the game. The crowd can forgive a lot but it does not forgive or accept the team appearing to put up a row of buses and not poke their noses out from behind them.

There were a number of decent performances with Songo'o being my pick again. Carey was on song one minute and off the next. Blissett is clueless most of the time and is not a one up top player anymore than Jervis or anyone else on the field today. He tries but trying is not enough. When we had a go in the second half for a time we looked odds on to score and win the match. When it didn't happen guess where we ended up again...................back in our half camped of course. Adams must understand that we make these other teams look good even if they aren't

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have just read in the Herald that we apparently didn't go defensive it was being pushed back by Rochdale that dun the deed according to Mr Adams. The man is more delusional than I thought and clearly needs a trip to Specsavers. It implies that Rochdale turned into Barca and played us off the park or out of their half of the pitch at the least. News flash for Mr Adams............Rochdale were crap and only looked good because we let them have the ball for long periods and didn't even challenge for it. Honest Mr Adams it is true and I saw it with my own eyes.

Didn't mention the Ref earlier. He was a weird one that's for sure. Some things I could stand and applaud him for and others made me cringe. He was so inconsistent a lot of the time. He seemed to miss an awful lot of fouls despite the beeb stats. Don't know what Jake Jervis did to upset him but he virtually gave him nothing all afternoon. Very slow on the cards as well. Quite possibly a Red missed for accumulation. However, I've seen far worse.