1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Peterborough

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 9, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Might as well have one thread for both matches as they follow each other. I'm guessing Peterborough won't bother to go home and will stay locally somewhere till Saturday.

The over riding question for the first game is how much effort each club will make to win it. I'm assuming the league will take precedents and Saturday will be more combative. Will be interesting if Wednesday is a bit feisty and there could be a hangover for the next. I'm going for a double for the greens.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tomorrows game i would think could have a lot of fringe players picked.....that's of course if we know who the fringe players are going to be after only two competitive games.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Carabao Cup...(EFL Cup)....Round One.

Cooper, Houghton, Wilson, Butcher, Edwards, Ennis, Whittaker, Lonwijk, Galloway, Jephcott, Endacott.

Subs
    Burton, Gillesphey, Scarr, Hardie, Mayor, Mumba, Azaz, Randell, Roberts.

Seven changes ?

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Schumacher did say it was an opportunity to give match time to players who haven’t featured yet.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-1...Jones... 28mins

6. notDistantGreen

From what I’m reading, that was poor.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-1...H/T.

8. notDistantGreen

Azaz is on and immediately making a difference. The C word had cropped up again. Carey.

9. notDistantGreen

Better in the second half: Lionel Lonwijk MotM. Interesting.

Quite a few questioning 3:4:2:1 but then, they would after a poor first half.

Houghton & Butcher are said to have been overrun at times

Second goal an utter absurdity. Cooper comes up but they take a short one and the inevitable happens. Rank stupidity.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-2...Taylor...90+3 mins.

Quick breakaway goal.....shot from 35 yards.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-2...F/T.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We made 7 changes....they supposed to of made 8.

Why cannot we score goals ?

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the Sky video.......Cooper 70 yards out of position for their easy second.

We seemed to have plenty of shots on goal...but not much idea of how to score.....we had one header just yards out and managed to put it in the one place their keeper was standing.

Not fancying our chances on Saturday if they had eight changes in their starting line up.

14. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When a Keeper is sent up for a last gasp corner you can hardly call him being at the other end of the pitch 70 yards out of position. The fault was sending him up and then playing it short. We were losing by one and it was the last seconds so just one of those things it went wrong and we lost by two. One goal or two goals makes little difference. We lost.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Carabao....Round Two.

We've missed a trip to the mighty Stevenage.

16. notDistantGreen

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It is hard to see how Jephcott fits into Schumacher's plans playing outside the box.....he does best inside the penalty area as he did last season....but Schumacher has been trying a plan B this season......not sure that it is paying dividends yet.....hard to see where the goals are coming from....two scored this season....one a mid-fielder...the other a penalty.

18. notDistantGreen

I can only speak with some real knowledge of the Barnsley game. We made chances and players, who we know would normally score, did not, for various reasons, including misses but also last ditch blocks, the slightest of headers that took goal bound attempts over the bar etc. Hardie in particular had two or three he'd normally have got at least 1 from. They haven't become bad players overnight,

The shape is a different thing. I'm a fanatical Randell fan and was from the very first time I saw him kick a football. He's just so at ease with the ball at his feet. His balance is beautiful, not quite as extreme as Danny Mayor's, but he glides like a Bentley. His head is always up, scanning. He can pass. He can shoot. He can take free kicks. I know there's constant chatter about Cooper and his prospects but I think we should make Randell play in a different disguise every week in case someone from the EPL sees him. Against Barnsley, we saw he's not a kid anymore. There was a moment when the ball was in the RWB position and Randell went through a gap from CM to run into space in the RW position. You could hear him demanding the ball over a 14,000 crowd like a 200-appearance pro.. In summary, he HAS to play. Am I making myself clear enough?

Whether it's with Butcher or Houghton I don't know but for me, it's Randell plus A.N. Other.

Azaz is non negotiable too so it's Mayor or Camara for me in the other slot. Mayor for me every time.

After a bright start, the last two games have disappointed. I'd point at the wing backs: We lost Miller before a ball was kicked and Mumba's playing out of position. Conor Grant's not ready and I'm not sure Joe Edwards is on top form compared to his own sky-high standards: is it him or is it the system? Are the two AM's are now competing for the same space as the WB's used to?

I think we've recruited well in terms of the individuals who've come in: we've got more options and a stronger bench. I'm confident it'll come right, I think.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

LEAGUE ONE...18/08/2022.

Cooper, Gillesphey, Houghton, Wilson, Scarr, Edwards, Mayor, Mumba, Azaz, Randell, Hardie.

Subs
    Burton, Butcher, Ennis, Whittaker, Lonwijk, Jephcott, Endacott.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Azaz...30 mins.