1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus MK Dons

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 30, 2022.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not going to say too much about this fixture. If ever there was a team we owe one to it's this one. Lest anyone forgets the 0 - 5 drubbing of last season to push us out of the play offs at the death. Revenge is what we all want so go get em boys.

COYG

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'll take a reversal of that score! In fact I'll take a win however it comes!

However, let's take nothing for granted... they did win at Portsmouth a week before Christmas. Mind you, Portsmouth last 6 homes are not impressive: DDDDLD.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We do need to improve our goal difference....we are lagging behind our two main rivals....better goal difference is worth a point in itself.

4. notDistantGreen

And more fundamentally, we aren't scoring enough of the many chances we make, which means we're always open to being robbed 1-0.

Dan Scarr's goal against Wycombe was the first we've scored from a corner or free kick for some months: other than just hitting the target more often, that's an area for improvement.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They can have the goal difference and we will have the 4 points clear. Goal difference doesn't matter then. I know which one I'd prefer.

6. notDistantGreen

Back to three at the back with Edwards and Mumba in the wing back positions with Houghton and Randell in midfield. Ennis, Whittaker and Major up front.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.................................................Cooper

..................Lonwijk...................Scarr.......................Wilson

....Edwards.............Randell................Houghton...........Mumba

.....................Whittaker..............................Mayor

..................................................Ennis

Subs
    Burton, Bolton, Butcher, Hardie, Cosgrove, Endacott, Jenkins-Davies.

No Gillesphey.....or new signing Ben Waine.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1...H/T

Wilson...4mins.
    Ennis...37mins.

Holland...19mins.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

3-1...F/T

Wilson...4mins.
    Ennis...37mins.
    Whittaker...53mins.

Holland...19mins.

Maximum points over Christmas.....you can't ask for more than that.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's a funny ole game is oft used in football but have to say this game was one of them. For the first 15 minutes there was only ever going to be one team in this and it was destined to be a reversal of the last encounter with MK Dons. For some obscure reason we seemed to stop playing all of a sudden and we let them join in. No shock then when it became one each. I think slightly against the run of what was going on we somehow took the lead again and held on comfortably till half time. Second half and it started the same as the first. We got a third and it all seemed quite comfortable. But, we seemed to sit back on that lead and didn't look like we were bothered if we scored again or not. The end of the match just petered out and the last 15 minutes were a waste of watching. They were never going to score again and neither were we. After saying all of that it isn't a criticism but just how it looked through my eyes. The other side of the story is we are 7 points clear currently and it is up to the others to come calling. I just get the feeling that the others are vastly under rating Argyle and somehow this squad will just go on their merry way and stack up the points. To get 9 over the Christmas/New Year period is a bonus for me because I would have been very happy with 7. We may run out of steam as others predict but they are going to have to wait a while to see it and who knows, it just may not happen as they wish.

My other boast this evening is that I was in the Hyde Park Social Club which is our watering hole after home games this evening and in walks Stephen Schumacher and his dad for a quiet pint. Sorry Mr Schumacher but I could not resist having a word. I said simply thank you for being here. He is a very gracious man and he made time for several people who were there and wanted a picture. Not me I would add as I don't do mobile cameras. As he was leaving to go for a Chinese apparently I said don;t go anywhere else and his answer was "I don't intend to". That I hope is true for a very long time. His dad seems as down to earth and friendly as his son.

11. notDistantGreen

He comes across as being very straightforward. Glad to hear it’s the same
    In real life.

It may yet go wrong (although secretly, given no more injury disasters I don’t think so, don’t tell anyone) but 56 points at the start of January is an astonishing achievement.

12. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

13. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thats what i miss the most, having a pint after the game, i envy you that Mr S.
    Good on you.
    Happy New Year to you and the Mrs.

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thank you BC and the same to you and your's. I hope you have thawed out by now after the weather bomb.

15. notDistantGreen

He comes across as being very straightforward. Glad to hear it’s the same
    In real life.

It may yet go wrong but the club isn’t hanging around or lacking ambition. We’ve signed one player already and the Herald is saying the next is imminent, naming Saxon Earley, a right back from Norwich City. They also link us with Harvey Knibbs, an Aston Villa youngster, now at Cambridge, who’s been of interest to a few Championship clubs.

The trouble really starts if we do go up of course. The Championship is a financial madhouse and we’ll have to succeed without going down that route.