1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Lincoln

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 26, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So it would seem that nobody on our prediction board apart from me thinks we can win this one. Shocking.

I still have faith so COYG

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Thinks or hopes?

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lincoln's League away record is W10...D3...L1....21-6 goal difference....I doubt if they've forgotten we knocked them out of the Cup here 2-0.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't care what they have or haven't done. We can still win this one.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Watts, Opoku, Aimson, Fornah, Lewis, Edwards, Grant, Mayor, Hardie, Ennis.

Subs
    McCormick, Reeves, Moore, Camara, Woods, Lolos, Jephcott.

Lewis, Edwards and Hardie start.....Moore, Camara and Jephcott on the bench.

6. notDistantGreen

Camara presumably not fully fit. Opoku starts though, thought he might not.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1...H/T.....Watts...3mins...Mayor...!3mins........McGrandles...22mins.

Argyle get a two goal start....but Lincoln doing all the pressing....we need at least one more goal.

Opoku probably started with an injury....he got clattered and needed attention...definately limping....will he come out second half ?

Nearly gave up on watching this....picture freezing every minute or so...turned off and reloaded...but no better....:headbang:.....poor picture quality as well...maybe it's the sun in the camera.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  8. notDistantGreen

Stunning result against a very good Lincoln side. Looked all over ar 2:3 and Lincoln on top but we kept going.

Not sure I'd claim we deserved it but I don't care in the slightest. Sometimes you come away thinking we've been robbed of a deserved win but this time we've nicked it and it feels GOOD.

Sensible I'm absolutely delighted you got your point in the Prediction League!!

9. poshfan

poshfan Well-Known Member

Well done Plymouth you did us a good favour

thought Wigan had beat us today

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

4-3...F/T.....Watts 3 mins...Mayor 13 mins...C Grant 77 mins...Edwards 90+1 mins...........McGrandles 22 mins...G Grant...59 & 62 mins penalties.

How did Lincoln lose that....when they scored in the 22nd minute it looked very ominous for us they were playing us off the park...putting balls beyond our defence and just running through us with ease....we've got to sort that out....the opposition have taken note how easy it is to by pass our defence....yet we won somehow.

Lincoln in 14 games before this had only conceded 6 away goals all season ...so how do we score 4 with Jephcott on the bench for much of the game.....and we're supposed to predict games like that....we should just give up.

We're up to 10th....4pts behind a play-off spot.

MOTM.....possibly Edwards.

11. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

Great win for you today .... Well done <ale>

Wooperts_duck and poshfan like this.
  12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

OH YE ALL OF LITTLE FAITH.............................except me and lyndie and he has to back Argyle.

Thoroughly nerve wracking and entertaining at the same time. How did we win that one I hear you ask. Well we scored 4 and they only got three and one of them was a dive and cheating. The first penalty was nailed on and no objection from me. The second one he never touched him and the Ref fell for a Lincoln dive yet again. That's twice they have done us like that. As cheats don't prosper as my grannie used to say then it's clear why they didn't win. I have no idea who should be MOM out of that so would give to all of them. Stunning goal from Mayor. Commentator was talking about him not shooting and therefore not scoring and then less than a minute later he gets a cracker. He should be shown that one over and over again until he is brain washed with it. He should do that at least every other game.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

How can it be at times...that Referee's have a different opinion of events on a football pitch than 99.9% of everyone else.

I don't know if the Ref had been offered a lift home by Lincoln after the match...it just seemed at times yesterday that quite a few similar instances resulted in different outcomes.

Two more penalties added to the list of Lincoln's record attempt for the most in a season....one okay... the other one rather dubious.....do referee's do their homework on teams before a match....surely any ref would have noted how does a team acquire so many penalties as Lincoln get (12 now)....and that many of them by the same player.....the law of averages certainly don't apply to Lincoln.

Also bugging me is how refs and their assistants do not insist that throw-ons are taken from nearly the right spot....this applies to all teams including Argyle there seems to be a creeping along the touchline with the thrower...who abandons his effort and then grabs even more movement along the touchline before releasing his throw.....free kicks are generally not so bad.

It was noticeable once yesterday the double standards that teams apply....Lincoln broke up an Argyle attack and were racing up field with the ball...leaving a Lincoln player on the ground injured....but they lost the ball and then moaned to the ref that the game should be stopped because of the injury....do refs take note of such moments in a match....or just do the beckoning of moaning team.

poshfan likes this.
  14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I have just had a little read around... about our friend Mr Michael Appelton and penalties........I'm sure there is some medication around that could help cure him of this affliction.....the sooner the better.....of course referee's will need a brain transplant to cure them of being transfixed to blowing for a penalty every time it happens....and actually recognizing that they are being conned..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  15. notDistantGreen

Like most fans, I've never had a lot of time for referees except when they give Argyle a penalty or send one of the other lot off.

There are three things that have made referees lives harder. Firstly the blizzard of daft rules that spout from FIFA downwards. Secondly, players that dive, pundits and journalists who don't call it out and the failure of the authorities to penalise the divers retrospectively using video evidence. Thirdly, let's be fair, fans that expect miracles from referees. Take for example the recent death threats against Mike Dean after he sent off 2 players in the Southampton - West Ham game. That was an extreme case but we regularly see managers as well as fans berate referees for decisions that didn't go their way. Those sorts of incidents ramp up the pressure for authorities to be more prescriptive and refs to give the safe rather than correct decision.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes understandable that Refs give the easy option at times....they're never going to get rich doing that job.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I made no reference to the Ref getting it wrong yesterday on penalty two. Possibly from his angle it looked like there could have been contact and it wasn't obvious from the pictures which angle he saw it from. My issue is with cheating diving players. The same old players crop up time and time again. I cannot for the life of me see why a professional sportsperson would want to be potentially branded a cheating feck. Surely they would rather be remembered as a decent player rather than that. I have said for a long time now that the FA should do something about it and by them not doing anything it is open season for the cheats to do exactly that, cheat. The pundits, mostly very famous ex players advocate it as ok to go to the ground. Had some of them done that in their day they would have been converted over the stand by somebody. Why now is it thought ok. Nobody but nobody is entitled to go down unless they are physically put there. A brush or a faint touch is not a reason. If it was then somebody should tell Danny Mayor where the deck is because if he practised it a bit he could get loads of penalties a game. Lincoln are a decent side but they ruin their reputation as a football club by doing this all of the time. They sadly aren't the only ones.

18. poshfan

Maybe someone should relay your message to man united seems to get a penalty most days

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Erm....Dembele??????

20. poshfan

he was brought down.....well ref said so :)