1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Cambridge

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 15, 2021.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't believe it. Following Breakspear on Saturday we have none other than Sarginson for Tuesday. Have we offended somebody? We are probably even more doomed this time...............

COTG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not the ball boy ignorer in 2017.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The very same.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So if you've already got your Argyle annual TV pass at £45 a season....there is an extra tonight.....you can WATCH LIVE the whole game....if you pay another £10 for the privilege.

Weren't we being told that the EFL was stopping this sought of thing from happening....I'm getting confused now.....surely some none season ticket holders will now be persuaded not to go to the match.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

This is for the club Plym. The money goes to the club and under this owner, we know it's well used.

There's no point in cannibalising attendances in the stadium by showing it free on TV even if the EFL would allow it.

I understand your situation, I was in it for years as I moved around the UK. Unfortunately, there's no way around it.

6. notDistantGreen

PS Sheffield United have mid range season ticket prices in the Championship. An adult ticket is £543. The Argyle equivalent is £435.

The most expensive Championship ticket is Bournemouth, admittedly just relegated from the EPL, at £760.

Do we want to get promoted? Of course we do.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bournemouth majored on their team building (once).....the ground has a capacity of not much over 11,000.

So that is probably why their season tickets are in the £700's.....even then with premier hand-outs they have struggled.

Eddie Howe was the secret formula that brought them success after going into administration.

I was down the Valley on the last day of the season when the they won the Championship and got to the Premiership.....they were so slick and organized....they won at a canter 3-0.....if I remember rightly the contest was over in about 12 minutes when they went 2-0 up and they turned the after-burners off and just coasted along....talk about making the opponents look second class....this was one of those moments.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cooper, Gillesphey, Scarr, Wilson, Grant, Broom, Houghton, Camara, Edwards, Hardie, Jephcott.

Subs
    Burton, Randell, Galloway, Law, Craske, Tomlinson, Shirley.

Gillesphey in for Galloway....(looks like a job share)....no signs of strengthening the strikers yet....a weak bench when we have a few injuries.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T...?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Jephcott...54 minutes.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Disallowed....off-side.......0-0.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Jephcott...68 minutes.....Okay this time.

13. notDistantGreen

14. notDistantGreen

Penalty Cambridge.

15. notDistantGreen

Cooper saves bur Cambridge score hhe rebound.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...76 minutes.

17. notDistantGreen

Frustrating hard fought game. Cambridge were content to drop deep when Argyle had the ball limiting the gaps to play into.

At times that degenerated into out and out time-wasting and after an early incident when Cambridge were incensed by something off the ball we didn't see, the game was pretty spikey.

Camara missed an easy header midway though an even first half and that might have made a lot of difference.

We need to rewrite the Argyle rule book as we dominated the second half. Jephcott seemed to have put us in front with a back post header as the ball was recycled but it was after much milling about rightly disallowed for offside.

Jephcott then slammed a difficult volley into the roof of the net, again at the far post and thus time it stood.

It looked like the 3 points were in the bag but Cambridge's best player Tracey got away down their right and was taken down by Gillisphy in the box. I don't want to say it but there was just about enough contact. Scarr hit yhe bar late on but that was it.

The only team that deserved to win it were Argyle but you have ro admit Cambridge defended well if not always fairly. Just the 6 booked after all.

Disappointing result but the sort of robust performance we didn't see last year. We need a couple of players to give Lowe options from the bench during this injury epidemic. None of the subs let him down but oh, to have been able to bring Ennis and George Cooper on....

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I said it on Saturday with that Ref and I said it for tonight with Sarginson. An absolute joke of a Referee and should be kicked out now. Disallowed goal (discuss). Right from where I was sitting it "might" have been offside but it was a bit close. However the lino gave it an wo did Sarginson. Cue celebration by Argyle players and after a bout 2 minutes it was announced over the tanoy. The Cambridge players kicked off at the lino who initially told them to go away. They didn't even though he had proceeded to his kick off position. The REf came over and talked to the lino. Nobody has any idea what is said but it was plenty by the Cambridge players. The lino then for some bizarre reason ran back down his line and raised his flag for offside. I have never seen anything like that before where a goal is given by all officials and then after pressure from players is reversed. Totally shocking.

Cambridge were not a bad side like Gillingham but their time wasting was taken to another level in the second half. Sarginson told them about a dozen times (no exageration) to get on with it but at no point did he do anything else. The man is totally incompetent. He waved his cards around because he totally lost control of the game. I hope like Breakspear we don't have to have him back here again ever. The first half was pretty even until the time wasting started. The second half I thought we dominated but struggled to get a goal mostly because play was constantly stopped and broken up. I hope the league isn't going to be like this all season. We deserved to win this but I can't complain about the penalty decision. He should have chopped the bloke before he got into the box and taken a yellow. They would have.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

After three games we are struggling to put together a meaningful bench....we are understrength as a squad.....no one able to change events when they come on.

Lowe needs to sort out possibly two strikers........it is dragging on too long.....and we do need another attacking mid-fielder.

Gillingham and Cambridge should have both been easy home wins.....yet all we can do is scrape two goals together....we will be depending on our defence this season.

There will be far harder games ahead.....we need to score more goals and get the points in the bank with these lesser teams.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Plym what planet are you on? Why should Gillingham and Cambridge be easy?????? WE need to sort out two strikers??????? From where exactly? Of course there will be harder games ahead but hopefully they won't be with the two most incompetent Refs this side of Nagasaki. Tell you what you empty your Bank Account, sell your house and borrow as much cash as you can and buy one for Argyle then. Argyle have not been bad in either of their home games so far. They won one despite the tactics of the opposition and Ref and have drawn one thanks to even worse officials. Stop with the doom and gloom for christ sake just for once.