1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bury

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Sep 13, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Better get this up before I can't. O'er missus.............

Suffice to say that they have been as p'ss poor as we have so far. Should be a good one then. It's about time we got a break and a Referee who isn't shaped like a penis above the shoulders. What could possible go wrong (I'm almost afraid to ask)

2. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

To be fair sensible, we all know the refs are complete s**te (most of them are the same ones who do League 2 games).

We need to just accept this, stop conceding early goals and more importantly stop being easily wound up by the opposition to the point of making aggressive and stupid tackles/decisions.

I would like to see Adams try a 4-4-2 (with Blissett and Fletcher), but I suspect, since we are lacking defensive depth, we will change to a 4-2-3-1 (with Songo'o for Edwards and Lameiras finally starting):

McCormick

Miller, Songo'o, Bradley, Sawyer

Fox, Ness

Jervis, Lameiras, Grant

Ciftci

Subs: Te Loeke, Sokolik, Ainsworth, Wylde, Fletcher, Blissett, + a youngster? (Sangster? Battle?)

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sokolik and not Songo'o PLEASE

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

......and the tea lady instead of Miller says notDistant.....nothing like a hot tea urn stopping a flying winger...you could use the tea trolley to take him back to the dug-out.

PS...Ainsworth needs more game time.

5. notDistantGreen

We don't have a choice at RB although it's hoped Threlkeld will train next week. At CB we do have a choice....

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Have you ever been tackled by a hot tea urn....a scolding experience...:emoticon-0184-tmi:.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Looking forward to it and a couple of nights up North thrown in for free. I have a good feeling. Bury are really struggling and will see it as an opportunity to get their season started, ditto for us. Should be a good open game , that's it then, 0-0!

8. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Ernie Hunt was a decent player....think he scored in a cup match

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We need a break Hobo but at the minute the Refs aren't playing ball. I don't think 2 of the 3 reds should have been red. I think the Carey one was nothing like the reaction of the player who conned the Ref and the Edward's one was very very soft and the Ref could have shown a bit of commonsense. We need to get savvy.

Adams has stated quite categorically that he doesn't like 2 up front. He is such a stuborn scots git that he is going to cling onto that no matter what. What he could do of course is play with 2. the ones we armchair managers would pick, and when it goes tits up could point out why he thinks the way he does and we are talking bollox. Unlikely however. At the minute I'm not confident about any outcome for Argyle although I do still live in hope.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

At least Edwards was two yellows....meaning only a one game ban.

11. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Well I don't think the players are wise enough about the League and the football played here yet sensible - unlike League 2 the opposition players here know how to punish mistakes and also how to get reactions from players - they also seem to know how to play the refs.

Adams did play a 4-3-3 on Saturday but unfortunately Blackpool were able to counter it. 1 up front can be effective but it is also dependant on the midfield being alert and able to provide the right support to the man up top. 4-4-2 is the stable, tried and tested formation in English football and with the suspensions we have I think it could work.

As for Sokolik instead of Songo'o Distant, I feel based on last seasons performances that Songo'o is the better choice, however this could be a chance for Sokolik to earn his place - I must say that Bradley and Edwards (though good players) have not been at their best yet.

12. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

only took 7.5 hours to get from Plymouth to Manchester today. I am reliably informed that it took the team at least a bit longer, I know it is part and parcel of playing for Argyle but it cant be the best preparation. still think we will stuff them!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  13. notDistantGreen

We must agree to differ. Sokolik has a decent touch for a CB and unlike Songo'o, doesn't give the ball away to the opposition on a regular basis.

I give you Walsall's 2nd goal as a recent example...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  14. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Not an easy game but hope we really stuff them before any rot sets in. Relegation doesn't bare thinking about but three teams will. Wonder what the odds are for another player getting sent off?

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Not in it at the moment!

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reached H/T....0-0.

17. notDistantGreen

Nil-Nil at halfers and still 11 on the pitch. Traditionally, we do better in the second half. Small step in the right direction.

Bradley seems to be getting involved in some aggravation. I hope Adams will have a word during the break.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Gillingham one up against Charlton....ARGYLE BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE.

19. notDistantGreen

Lameiras and Fletcher on as subs with 25 to go!

20. notDistantGreen

0-0 draw, step in the right direction but saved by McCormick heroics towards the end.