1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Burton

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 8, 2020.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Funny one this as there hasn't been a whole load of meetings historically with Burton. I read somewhere there had been 5 and that we had lost 3 of them. However, their start to the season has been less than brilliant so perhaps they won't end up one of those boggey clubs. Mind you me and my gang used to say that if you had a bad start to a season and you wanted to kick start it then you could do worse than play Argyle.

A bit more positivity required I think. We are well capable of winning this one and by the form book we perhaps should. So I am going to go for an Argyle win and a turn of fortune for the Greens. Will be watching at my usual venue.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

GoS records show that we have played Burton in the league ten times.

P10...W1...D3...L6...GF9...GA14...Pts6....so not too exciting a record against them....personally it's a game we need to win to get back on track.

Be interesting who Lowe picks after seeing his squad players lose at Cheltenham on Tuesday.....maybe Fornah and Reeves have done enough to be considered.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just looked it up and it was on pasoti I read the 5 times but it said 5 times at Home Park which is the bit I missed. Still not a whole load of meetings though and our record against is a bit pathetic.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's all the Marmite sandwiches they wash down with India Pale Ale.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

M Cooper, Aimson, Canavan, Watts, Moore, Grant, Mayor, Nouble, Fornah, Jephcott, G Cooper.

Subs
    Ruddy, Wootton, Edwards, Telford, Reeves,Lolos, Opoku.

No Hardie or Camara today .....are they injured...?

6. notDistantGreen

Jeez that Format looks some player.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Jephcott...25 mins...H/T.

9. notDistantGreen

Decent from PAFC. Dominant before they scored. Burton tried to get forward after conceding but the more they advanced the more dangerous Argyle looked on the break.

Jephcott back and scores of course. Don't think the keeper expected a sudden snap shot from an unlikely position and goes straight through him for the goal.

Mayor unplayable in what looks like a slightly more central position which suits him I think. Formah is comfortable on the ball and keeping it moving nicely. Defence looking comfortable.

Crosses, final passes and shooting have been just that a bit awry otherwise it could be 2 or 3 nil.

10. notDistantGreen

2-0 90 seconds into second half.

Nouble and Mayor get Cooper in for a cross, Burton fail to clear and Burton Moore bundles the second ball in at the back post.

11. notDistantGreen

Aimson makes an horrendous error to let Burton in but they miss a solid gold chance.

12. notDistantGreen

Randall scores for Torquay. Star in the making.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0...Jephcott...25mins...Moore...47 mins...F/T.

14. notDistantGreen

Comfortable win which if Argyle had really found top gear they would have won by a landslide.

The 7-16 foul count perhaps gives the best picture of how it went. Burton at times struggling to restrain Argyle.

Satisfactory result but can undoubtedly do better.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not sure if I got my 10 quids worth there....picture froze before Jephcott's goal so missed that......Moore scored the second whilst I was on my way back from the kitchen with a cup of tea (my fault)....bad timing on my behalf.

Burton looked a team that will be struggling to stay above the relegation places and Argyle no better than mid table.....a great chance to score a fist full of goals....but really didn't look that hot up front....and Aimson made a right cock-up...but got away with it.....and Burton missed a easy one on one and missed the target.

Although Burton looked toothless they did pin Argyle back for awhile mid-second half....other than that an easy win without looking in much trouble.

My man of the match.....Tyrese Fornah who played well in mid-field and had great ability of winning the ball and spinning away and moving forward....also Frank Nouble keeps the ball well....and you need a jack-hammer to get the ball off of him.

Not sure if I want to spend £10 every week to watch a game without the fans present.....a bit soulless really....must be hard to get going as a player...with just a few voices echoing around an empty stadium.....the bigger the stadium the worst it must be.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Fairly easy 3 points today without being too disparaging about Burton. They had a few chances but overall looked well outplayed. Thought the entire Argyle squad were half decent today without maybe setting anything alight. I too like Fornah who I think is going to turn out to be a star man for us this season. Very quiet but oh so effective. Cool on the ball and not flustered by anything. Good passer, good tackler and travels well with the ball at his feet. Somebody you won't notice much perhaps but for me was the MOM. Very impressed. Mayor today was also impressive except in one department. He needs to brush up on his finish. Very good up to the point of letting the keeper have it and then it isn't so impressive. Shooting practice required. Nouble is another who is going to be loved if we ever get back into the stadium to watch. My son said to me last week that you would not want to be behind him at a buffet. You would starve because you wouldn't get anywhere near the food. How he keeps the ball sometimes is a mystery. Anyway happy with that today.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It does surprise me that Tyrese Fornah has played no league football until he came to Argyle....with a bit of experience under his belt I reckon this lad could go far.....we're lucky that we've got him for a whole season (hoping that league football will go that long).....he could keep MacLeod and up till now my favourite Camara on the bench this season....but good to know that Camara's in the wings available.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems that Ryan Hardie was left out yesterday because he didn't feel very well....that's being looked into ?....and although Panutche Camara's kit was hanging up in the changing room he didn't play....he "rolled" his ankle....so he was left out as a precaution.....had he been warming up....I don't know.

PS.....Camara did ankle in training Friday.

19. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Good win and a good start to the season for a change...who knows what can happen if all the new players click soon.

20. notDistantGreen

The good thing is that I think we all agree we won fairly easily without actually playing that well. Augurs well.