1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Bristol Rovers

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 19, 2019.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Posting early this week having read a load of stuff already about how important this game is and could define our season blah blah blah!

This match for me is no more important at this stage of the season than any other one of the eight remaining. The bottom line to our season is we probably need no more than 2 wins out of those 8. It matters not which games they are as long as we do that. I'm still not convinced we even need 2 but lets go with the normal line of 50+ points for safety. The only significance this game has if there is one is that the opposition are below us in the league and a victory over them would put them well below points wise. A loss to them would put them on our tail.

This is meant to be our local derby being Bristol Rovers who are only a mere 125 miles away. The other thing being that Graham Coughlin is their Manager and was once a favourite at Home Park. Despite all of that I can't see any reason why we can't win this one and our form at Home Park has improved out of all proportion. I'm quite looking forward to this match. I've missed the last two due to not being well so they owe me a performance.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've already mentioned somewhere that although we're in the top half of the league (12th)....we are still only 3pts away from being in the bottom four, so only needing two wins might be cutting it too fine.

Rovers have sorted themselves under Coughlan....he brought in two good players and they are now hard to beat.....and they're doing well away from home....and they're only 1pt behind us and a game in hand.

A win would be great, but I hope we don't underestimate them....so a draw is not the end of the world....a defeat could be well dodgy.....we have got some sticky games still to play.....Charlton at home......Doncaster away.....Barnsley at home out of the eight left.....last year I saw Gillingham put five past us away....then there is Blackpool away....Accrington away....and finally Scunthorpe at home.....so we're going to depend on other teams in the mix dropping points....and if they're playing each other that's to our benefit.

I hope we win on Saturday....it will put me in a good frame of mind....because as a family we're going out for a meal in the evening to celebrate my 80th birthday which is next week....and I don't need my 14 year old grandson (Charlton fan) reminding me if we lose....(he reads this now and again....don't you Jacob).....my other grandson Josh, isn't bothered with football and my grand-daughter couldn't care to hoots.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You have to remember that others are relying on OUR results if they are to pass us so that isn't really that much of a factor for me. 3pts away is basically 2 games if goal difference comes into it. That leaves 6 games. Winning two of those 6 leaves 4. That means that 9 other teams have to better us in more than 50% of the games having already won the 4 to pass us in the first place. I still think that 48 points will be enough but am going 51 for a safety margin. That's my opinion which of course could be wrong. Time will tell.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I saw somebody, probably Gary Neville, talking about this in relation to the Premier League the other day. He made the point that the later a team leaves it get the points it needs at the top or at the bottom, the harder it becomes to do it because the pressure increases exponentially. An obvious point perhaps but he knows what he's talking about and it means a point in the hand is definitely worth 2 in the bush. A win against Rovers would help us to keep that pressure off.

Equally, the pressure on the bottom 8, who are all within 1 win of each other after games in hand are taken into account, will be reaching screaming pitch.

No guarantees obviously but we are the highest team still looking backwards. Could be better but could be a lot worse.

5. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well a win would be great and keep us moving up wards but do you think 3 wins would be safety??

Happy Birthday Plym, your still a youngster. Have a great night out <gift>

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Cheers Joe.....we would be unlucky not to stay up with another 10pts in the bag.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Christ this points total keeps going up and up. We do not need 10 points. It would be nice to get them but being nice and actually needing them is two different things. If you look at the fixtures left then you would see just how many and the teams below have to play each other still. It's a shed load. I know Argyle are good at cocking things up but we would have to be very unlucky not to escape this season.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Macey, Riley, Edwards, Canavan, Sawyer, Fox, Songo'o, Sarcevic, Ness, Lameiras, Ladapo.

Subs.....Letheren, Smith-Brown, Jones, Threlkeld, Anderson, Taylor, Fletcher.

No Carey in the team or on the bench....surely must be injured ?.....disappointing.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

CAM 1 STILL ON.....DON'T TELL ANYONE.....:rolleyes:.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Dammit turned off after 2 minutes of play.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0...H/T.....well if any goals are scored now I'll win the points for that....hope it ain't Rovers.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0...Lameiras...51mins.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-1...Clarke-Harris...72 mins.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1...Craig...og...75mins.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-2...Reilly...90+1 mins.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-2...F/T......disappointing to drop 2pts in the 91st minute.

17. notDistantGreen

Tight game in which we looked the better side but didn't put it away.

Three at the back again. Songo'o a bit wayward at times in keeping the line but got away with it.

Stunning first goal from Lameiras curled in from a tight angle.

We should then have had a corner with the ball a good 2 feet over the line but incredibly neither the ref nor the lino saw what the whole of crowd at that end could. Play on then with Argyle stretched and guess what? Yes Rovers stream up to the other end and score with a 30 yard scorcher.

Argyle then took the lead with an own goal with lino correctly spotting it was over the line.

We dropped deeper and deeper and the inevitable happened.

Coughlin clapped off at the end and Derek Adams had one of their players by the throat in the tunnel. Just another day at the office.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Decent enough game to watch and perhaps if totally honest a draw was possibly fair in the end. As notdistant says we were the better side for most of the game but somehow we couldn't but the game to bed. Scoring seemed almost impossible but should have been a lot simpler. Eventually Lameiras put one away and it did look like that could win it. But, the Referee somehow managed to cock up and rule a ball had not gone out of play. It was well over the line and it should have been either a goal kick or corner but not sure which at the time. It was nothing and of course they scored with the resulting attack. It was a cracking goal mind and we should have defended it better but it still should not have been. The game went too and fro for a while until they gave us a hand and put one away for us. We went quite deep after trying I think to hang on to the lead. Injury time and we fecked up again. With other results the way they were then this isn't the end of the world. Can't see either them or us going down.

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Coughlin clapped off at the end and Derek Adams had one of their players by the throat in the tunnel. Just another day at the office.

Not quite!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  20. notDistantGreen

Shows how much you can trust football fans then! I heard it from a fan that was broadcasting it as a fact in the exit crowd.

Definitely something going on though!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9