1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Blackburn

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 1, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not a lot to say about this one. Last home game it was the runaway leaders Wigan. This time it is the number two team of Blackburn. Dare I ask what could possibly go wrong?

We haven't really played Blackburn a lot for quite some time. I think we might owe them as I seem to recall the last time we played them here we lost 3 - 1 on the last day of a season. I could be wrong but the old memory sometimes isn't what it was. Not even worth looking at the form book for the last lot of games either. Blackburn are unbeaten and on the form book are above Wigan at the moment. We have lost only once and we all know which game that was. Don't even think the transfer window will have much of an effect on this match either. I did read that the Ref is Charlie Breakspear. That fills me with confidence if memory of him serves as well. Bit card happy. But, we can do it and I have every confidence there will be a result.

COYG

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Last time here.....Plymouth...1-3...Blackburn.....2nd May 1992.

Drew 1-1 on the17th October 2017 at Blackburn this season.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

They say when sinility creeps in it's the old days you remember. 1992 eh!! Bleddy ell!!!!

4. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Blimey 1992 and I actually do remember it well. It will be a bumper crowd -circa 12000, should be a good match as well. Be quite happy with a point but anything better and we will all be <party>

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I knew I remembered it from somewhere and have been doing a bit of research to remind me why. I took the kids to Butlins and our arrival date co-incided with the last game of the season being the one above. I missed it and had to go into the bookies at Minehead camp to try to find out the result. Result was we were relegated and David Speedie had scored a hattrick. I remember being gutted and it did put a damp squib on the week. Well for me anyway. That does it, we definately owe them one at Home Park..

Something I meant to mention originally was the crowd that day which was 17,500 give or take a couple. Them were the days.............

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Daily Mirror suggesting that Kyle Letheren will be starting today....where did they get that from....they mentioned it in there Div 1 match comments.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0....Lameiras (25mins) & Taylor (37mins).

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0 H/T

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

PAFC totally dominant here at a packed Home Park. Second goal a thing of beauty. Sarcevic bursting out of PAFC's penalty box to the halfway line, playing Carey (?) in on the left wing, who slides the ball across the box for Taylor to tap in.

Blackburn have not made a clear chance.

Vyner is a keeper. Must sign him in the summer if at all possible.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0 F/T.....whose the promotion chasing team ?

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Great win today...Onwards and upwards! Me pie and mash tasted even better for some reason.

Well done DA!

12. notDistantGreen

Tremendous performance full of effort, organisation and guts. Made Blackburn look very ordinary. Mist of their first half possession was in their own half but they did get further forward in the second. Argyle soaked it up admirably with few clear chances allow. My MoM ( and there could have been several) would be Sarcevic.

Play like that every week and anything's possible.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

sensible will be staggering home later.... drunk as the old proverbial newt.....we're starting to gain some serious momentum....there are teams above us dropping unexpected points....Shrewsbury next week....anything is possible.

14. lyndhurstgreen

Well I am <party>. Absolutely outstanding performance. Whatever the stats say Remi hardly had a proper save to make. We were, to a man, very good esp Ness, Tayls, Zak, Sonny, Oz, CG10, Lameiras ,Foxy et al. No such thing as a faultless performance but this was pretty close. The most pleasing thing was that Blackburn clearly ran out of ideas and never really put us under much pressure. It was so good that all the players were really buzzing afterwards. Oh and the Green army were simply magnificent. DA was very pleased too! Do not mention the play-offs!

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't ever believe those stats lyndie. If you look on the beeb football page for this match it says we had 5 attempts with 2 on target. We scored 2 for a start so that is them taken care of. But, in the write up below it then says that one of theirs, Williams, turned a goal bound shot around the post with a header. Now correct me if I've got this wrong but that also counts as on target but a block. Stats are bollox as notdistant will tell you.................

First half I don't remember a save made by Remi. We dominated the half even though it was evident that Blackburn can play. Decent passing and movement but absolutely no penetration. We on the other hand created several chances and took two of them. The volley by Lameiras was superb and it fair bulleted into the net. Unstopable. The second goal was even more superb and must go down as the move of the season so far. The passing and movement for it was as good as you will see anywhere and Argyle went in at halftime well in control and worth every penny of their lead. Second half and I think Blackburn had a stiff prod in the rear end with a pointy stick at the break. However, despite their improvement Argyle hardly looked in serious trouble despite defending more. We could have scored again with a fair wind and bit of luck. Even then Remi wasn't unduly troubled. I still don't remember a cause for any real concern for him. Great performance and so much a pity our season only started when a third of it had gone. MOM for me was Sarcevic. Thought he was immense today and was everywhere on the pitch .

16. lyndhurstgreen

Of course, in my excitement I forgot to mention him, anyone missing Toumes?, Ness and Sarc completely bossed the midfield.Still <party>

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Would still have liked Toums to stay. However, he hasn't exactly picked a winner has he. Fleetwood dropping like a stone at the moment and the Greens on the rise. The one thing that always amazes me with teams though is that if they can play like we did today and to be fair against Wigan as well then why the feck can't we do it every game. Sadly if we had started the season even only half bad then we could and would have been in the play off spots now. Funny ole game aint it,,,,,

18. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

A great performance from Argyle in fact a good game of football
    with me watching thousands of miles away on my Lap Top.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We could hear you cheering BC.

20. notDistantGreen

It wasn't a thriller in the sense of there being lots of clear chances (never mind what the stats say) but it was certainly intense throughout. What close things there were were ours though, Blackburn had I think one only moment when I shut my eyes in the 90 minutes.

How many times did Blackburn get into the final third and be pushed all the way back to the centre backs or even the keeper by the hounding they got from the PAFC midfield and defence? The guy next to me remarked that Sarcevic was "playing like a man possessed" and that about hit the nail on the head.