1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread v Rochdale

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Nov 5, 2019.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Tough looking fixture tonight, especially as we'll be without KVY and Downes (and possibly Skuse).
    Dale have lost their last two, but by all accounts battered their opponents without winning

Draw will be "ok", but a win would be great to take us back to top.

Hopefully Norwood and Jacko can continue their good form and score a goal or two each

I'll go for a battling 2-1 victory..with the aforementioned duo getting a goal each

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

A hard fought 1-0 win.

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Yep this could be a banana skin could be without Downes and Kayne Vincent Young. The talent in our squad is strong unfortunately resilience and match fitness is poor.

Drab 0-0 draw

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!

5. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Judge on the wing. Has that ever worked?

6. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Judge playing....has that ever worked?

Mike_Holmes1990 likes this.
  7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Rochdale much better than us in the first half. We're guilty of too many long balls forward again whereas Rochdale are playing neat and tidy football and are finding it easy to pass through our press.
    We will need a bit more composure and to keep the ball on the floor more in the second half to come away with a victory.

8. Bigalreigned

Shrewsbury doing us a favour at present!

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Get in!
    Rowe with the opener

10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Yep, I'll take that.
    Another three points on the board.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.

11. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Judge playing LM is a strange one for me. I would rather start Georgiou there or even push Garbutt forward and play Kenlock at left back. Still, another 3 points on the board when we haven’t played particularly well is a good thing and with Peterborough losing = a very good Evening

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  12. Bigalreigned

Sounds like we’re riding our luck,but it was about time it changed after the last few years.

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

So it was a decent game today.
    First half was a period of Rochdale showing us how to move the ball from back to front whilst keeping it mostly in contact with the grass. They had a couple of great chances that deserved a goal, and the game may well have gotten away from us if one had gone in.
    Lambert then read my halftime post about needing more composure and more ball on the green stuff and put that into effect immediately in the second half.
    The switch of Rowe (who was one of our better first half players) to the left flank worked out quite well. He was able to get past his man more often and showed some deft ball control and quick feet to get into some good positions.
    It also helped Garbutt, yet again, to have good coverage in front of him instead of the ever absent from his position Mr Judge.
    The second half was much better from us and we really should have been more comfortable if Woolfenden had buried an easy header, the type you wish Tommy Smith was lining up for.

Norris - pretty good today, I can honestly see him taking Holy's place as he seems much calmer and more well rounded.
    Edwards - good game for him in an unfamiliar RB role again. Did just enough defensively and contributed well on attack.
    Woolf - yet another solid display from Luke.
    Chambers - good yet again, the usual body on the line blocks that helped to keep a clean sheet.
    Garbutt - took a great free kick that rattled the bar. Benefitted again from...... well, you know the rest.
    Rowe - wasn't always getting the better of Rochdale's LB but had more joy on the other side in the second half. Probably my MOTM today for his attacking play and his goal.
    Skuse - he was playing, he did his thing but nothing of note, as per. Not in any way saying this is a bad thing, another 7/10 performance from Mr Reliable.
    Nolan - anonymous first half due to our play bypassing the midfield, played some good triangle work in the second half with Rowe and Garbutt that helped move the ball up the pitch.
    Judge - meh....again. Put him in the cup team until he shows us a performance worthy of being included as a league starter.
    Jackson - willing runner as usual. Although both strikers were starved of the ball to feet in the first 45, Kayden still caused problems in the channels.
    Norwood - is going to pick up yellow cards all season for getting in the ref's ear and then the ref booking him at the next opportunity. He didn't really have any chances for himself today but was still a headache for the Rochdale defenders.

Georgiou - some smart play down the left, needs more minutes if he is to get more consistent.
    Keane - looked more mobile today, another one that needs minutes.
    Dozzell - got stuck in more than I've seen before. Looked like he actually wanted to compete for the ball and have an affect on the match.

All in all, it was an enjoyable match.
    A game of two vastly different halves that has been the story of our season. If we can make it click for 90 minutes then somebody could get a slapping. Even if we keep going as we are then we should be able to stay on track for promotion.

14. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Great summary SD, thanks
    Onwards & upwards, oh, we are top!

Nuggets likes this.
  15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Not so sure on that royston.
    I really thought Kenlock was going to improve but he always looks a bit suspect to me so I think it's best that he's not starting.
    Having watched Garbutt this season my opinion is that he is great at full back where he can make overlapping runs and receive the ball in space but I don't think he's got enough flicks and tricks to play the winger role as effectively. He has a peach of a left foot for crosses and dead balls but I'd rather he stay at LB.
    Georgiou needs minutes and would work well with Garbutt on that side.