1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread v brentford

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Oct 20, 2018.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Newly-appointed Brentford head coach Thomas Frank will be in charge for the first time against Bristol City.
    He takes the reins after the exit of Dean Smith to Aston Villa, having previously been assistant, and will assess the fitness of Chris Mepham.
    Bristol City are set to hand a first league start to goalkeeper Max O'Leary.
    The 22-year-old steps in as Niki Maenpaa is out for at least a month with an abductor strain, while Frank Fielding has viral meningitis.
    Match facts
    • Brentford are unbeaten in eight league games against Bristol City (W6 D2 L0) since a 1-0 defeat in League One in March 2007, a game which featured current Robins boss Lee Johnson.
    • Bristol City have not won an away league match at Brentford since September 2005, winning 3-2 in League One.
    • Since the start of last season, Brentford have dropped 37 points from winning positions in the Championship - six more than any other side; the Bees have lost the most points from winning positions this season (11).
    • Bristol City manager Lee Johnson has never won in seven league managerial meetings with Brentford (P7 W0 D3 L4).
    • Neal Maupay has had a hand in 13 goals in the Championship for Brentford this season (10 goals, 3 assists) - four more than any other player.
    • Bristol City have won just two of their last 20 away games in all competitions (D8 L10).

2. johngalleyfan2

17 mins baker off after 4 min injury time da silva on

3. johngalleyfan2

reid for Cardiff and tammy for Vila

4. johngalleyfan2

versus 10 men we wont win ………..

5. johngalleyfan2

famara on well obviously needs to slow it down? or is it 2 hitmen up front!

6. johngalleyfan2

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH goal now watch us chuck points away

7. johngalleyfan2

1-0 well buried quite a few demons there today …………..
    a bad injury the cost????? will have to wait and see

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Great win and up to 9th.
    Hull next at home.

9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Battling through an injury crisis is not a good place to be but we came away from Griffin Park with the 3 points despite concerns about our track record against the Bees. All the time we can come away with ugly points is a good way to turn the tide until we have our full fleet up and running.

10. johngalleyfan2

now 9 teams vying for 2 places in the top 6 .... 21 pts to 18 pts

11. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

A good win, but in truth a very poor performance, but for the sending off that would have been 0-0 at best. Offensively we are very poor, Weimann & Taylor are not goal threats in this division, mainly because they spend so much time offside.
    We need to find a way to get the team firing up front, Fammy has taken a lot of flack on here over the past few weeks, but today showed we need some strength up front, as Weimann and Taylor against the Brentford back line were like men against boys.
    We need a new striker in Jan as a major priority.
    Glad that young Max kept a clean sheet on league debut, and made some good confidence boosting saves as well, a real positive from today.

12. bcfcredandwhite

I think that’s a bit harsh Supcon - although I admit I have only watched streamed or televised games so far, Taylor has stood out for me as being a real pain for the opposition and his ‘goal’ today wasn’t offside - I think the ref thought the ball was headed forward by Weiman but in fact he didn’t touch it and the goal should have stood.

Red Robin likes this.
  13. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Weimann and Taylor were both offside for the goal.

Two different things, I have always said Taylor has good work rate, but what he is not, which is what we need, is a goal scorer. Strikers are judged on goals Taylor's is poor since he stepped up to the Championship and Weimann hasn't scored a goal in 2 months. I'm just calling it how I see it with concern for where the goals will come from thiis season, more worryingly than Taylor is the complete lack of form from Patterson, when the strikers are struggling you need the midfield to chip in with a few, and early last season Patterson was that man, but since Christmas last year that Patterson has gone missing, sadly!!

Red Robin likes this.
  14. Red Squid

Red Squid Well-Known Member

Taylor was poor yesterday and LJ showed his frustration with him frequently until he came off. However, I think it was just a case of having a bad day, he's generally better than he was at Brentford and I am usually impressed with his link up play and general contribution. Having said that, like many of you,I think he needs to contribute some goals as well otherwise he will definitely remain as a bit part player.

15. johngalleyfan2

On the EFL highlights they immediately stated it was offside but when it was analised in slo mo and the rules applied to offside it was a perfectly good goal
    the linesman flagged because he concentrates on the "line" more than the play .... the ball came from an onside position ... ie the kick forward was executed with all players onside ..taylor ran forward and goal
    however the ref mistakenly believed the ball had been headed on [slo mo indicated it had not been ] so that was why not given ....
    quite an in depth chat after the game with Lee, and he came over quite well, didn't hear any comment on the injury to Baker though ..
    a work in progress and hopefully ELIASON is tied down to a good contract soon ... he will only get better ....

Red Robin and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  16. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

A good, and unexpected win
    Maybe them changing Manager and having a player sent off worked in our favour.
    If we are a little more consistent then maybe we have an outside chance of the playoffs

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  17. bcfcredandwhite

I think consistency (or rather, lack of), as well as injuries to key players are my biggest worry. We play really well one moment and awful, with the same players and formation the next.
    It’s great to see us taking advantage of a sending-off for a change - and also holding on - I was watching Sky Sports News and could see all the other games ending but ours still going on!!!
    Maybe the consistency issue is because of our young squad(?) I don’t know.
    Paterson needs a rest if what I am reading on the forums is to be believed - but we know what he is capable of and if he doesn’t play then he will never recover.
    This is why I work in the financial IT industry and not football management!!!!

18. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

I'm hoping Mo Eisa will get chance to show us if he can get goals at this level before we get to January.

LJ has a tendancy to be reluctant to replace his ''trusted' players so he may not get many chances, even if he is fit enough to play now.

19. bcfcredandwhite

To be honest this was what I based my earlier statement upon.